Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

2 members and 3,253 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Where is the "Reptile Nation"?

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/bill...090AB112294ENR

Read the text. The much feared "Bird Nation" seemed to have gotten their point across, as have the powerful and omniscent "Swap Meet and Flea Market Consortium".

But alas, the vaunted and very vocal (at least on chat rooms and forums) Reptile Nation, despite their members squawking, whining and flying the red, white and blue banners on their sigs - appears to not been heard.

It would be a tragedy if, with all the tough talk and bravado that the feared Reptile Nation is famous for, that they were unable to do what a few determined bird owners and flea market organizer were able to: get a freaking exemption in AB 1122.

It's to the Governator now. Thanks for all your phone calls and letters (btw: Lieu's office claims that they have heard precious little from the Cold Blooded Commandos).

Bottom line - if the Governor signs this bill, we'll see if they do in fact try to shut down reptile shows.

It's one thing to spend your time posting your anger on a forum where everyone will hit the "rep" and "thanks" buttons and boost your worthless online status.

It's another to get off your a$$es and do something constructive - write letters, send e-mails or take the time to educate yourselves on what's going on in the world. Talk is cheap - internet talk is even cheaper.

The collective lack of action on AB1122 may leave us at the mercy of the animal right's groups in California who aren't going to be able to target the Bird, Livestock, Dog and Cat fanciers because they actually took the time to defend what's important to them.

Way to go! Beat your chests some more! Paste more colorful banners to your sig! Enflame some imaginary rivalry between PIJAC and USARK!

Here's the meat of what may come back to haunt us here in the Golden State:

(e) This section shall not apply to the following:

(8) A cat show, dog show, or bird show, provided that all of the
    following circumstances exist:

(A) The show is validly permitted by the city or county in which
    the show is held.

(B) Each and every participant in the show complies with all
    federal, state, and local animal welfare and animal control laws.

(C) The participant has written documentation of the payment of a
    fee for the entry of his or her cat, dog, or bird in the show.

(D) The sale of a cat, dog, or bird occurs only on the premises
    and within the confines of the show.

(E) The show is a competitive event where the cats, dogs, or birds
    are exhibited and judged by an established standard or set of ideals
    established for each breed or species
    Last edited by Skiploder; 10-12-2009 at 10:01 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Denial (10-12-2009),Eulogy13 (10-12-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: Where is the "Reptile Nation"?

For those that haven't made the effort, how about instead of beating the drum of "You aren't doing enough", you posted the address to send letters to, the phone number for folks to call?

I bothered to look up the numbers etc. But if you want folks to help, make it easy on them! For HR669, I printed letters and addressed envelopes, and took the packs TO the people so they could also send letter in with a MINIMUM OF EFFORT.

Posting the address and phone numbers of the people who need to get the phone calls of protest would really help you get some results.

And.. for the record, when I called the office I was told that since I did not reside in California, they didn't really care about my opinion(condensed from the polite conversation). I did point out that when there was a large show in THEIR state, that I might come to the state, for the show(i.e. like Daytona, Tinley, etc) and that meant I spent quite a lot of money IN THEIR STATE, including taxes, food, hotels, flights, taxis, souviners, etc etc etc. They might(MIGHT) have grudgingly agreed that perhaps I would be affected by the regulations in their state, which is across the country from my home.

So in short, some folks have tried to do their best. So make it as easy as possible for many folks to help fight it.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    For those that haven't made the effort, how about instead of beating the drum of "You aren't doing enough", you posted the address to send letters to, the phone number for folks to call?

I bothered to look up the numbers etc. But if you want folks to help, make it easy on them! For HR669, I printed letters and addressed envelopes, and took the packs TO the people so they could also send letter in with a MINIMUM OF EFFORT.

Posting the address and phone numbers of the people who need to get the phone calls of protest would really help you get some results.

And.. for the record, when I called the office I was told that since I did not reside in California, they didn't really care about my opinion(condensed from the polite conversation). I did point out that when there was a large show in THEIR state, that I might come to the state, for the show(i.e. like Daytona, Tinley, etc) and that meant I spent quite a lot of money IN THEIR STATE, including taxes, food, hotels, flights, taxis, souviners, etc etc etc. They might(MIGHT) have grudgingly agreed that perhaps I would be affected by the regulations in their state, which is across the country from my home.

So in short, some folks have tried to do their best. So make it as easy as possible for many folks to help fight it.
    It's up to the Governor now. Maybe he'll veto it (then let's see if the "Reptile Nation" crows about another victory) and maybe he won't.

Anyone who knows how to type "Google" then "CA AB 1122" could get all the information they needed to call, write, send smoke signals, semafore, etc.

It was nice of you to take up the fight even though you don't live here. Unfortunately, thousands of Californians could not be bothered to do the same(kinda reminds me of the LBJ quote about "sending American boys to do what Asian boys could do for themselves". ...).

In the time it takes to post here about how hot the new banana split spider spinner pewter hypo pastel queen bee looks, or to add the USARK banner to a sig, or to start some pointless poll - someone could have taken the time and the initiative to get off their rear and do what you did.

As for making it easy for people.............thanks for the suggestion but I'll pass. I've posted a couple of updates here on the progress of this Bill and it's not like we all shouldn't be on hyper-aware mode with all of the legislation coming at us. If people can't figure this crap out for themselves then they can face the consequences.

Not to sound crass, but I'm well off enough that I can afford whatever permits, special caging, etc. that I may need in the future to keep my animals and I don't make a habit of buying animals at Expos...............

...........but alot of people here and in the hobby do. Enough of us knew that this was coming and we could have made a bigger splash - heck it seems to have also fallen off of USARK's and PIJAC's radar.

We all knew this was coming. Anyone claiming they didn't take up the fight because they couldn't figure out who to call or write probably shouldn't even own a sea monkey, let alone a snake.

As for being crass - I take it back - it sounds crass and I'll leave it at that. I'm sick of people talking big and doing nothing. I'm sick of people posting rhetoric and then doing nothing. I'm sick of people doing nothing when the things that are important to them are threatened. I'm feeling mighty crass today........
    Last edited by Skiploder; 10-12-2009 at 11:32 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I did send a message to one of your congresswomen when USArk first posted about this issue - I hoped then that it did some good, and still hope it was heard. (I'm still getting her updates on local CA politics periodically, even though I'm in CT!)

It sounds to me as though the cat/dog/bird exemption is based on those shows being competitive, judged events, such as an AKC club show, where some sales may take place on the side. To date, I've yet to see a herp show posted that was run as a judged competition - reptile expos are nearly pure sales / swap meets, (some include seminars, but the local one here sure doesn't) where the only judging result is whose pockets have the most dollars in 'em at the end of the day, and who goes home with the emptiest displays. The exemption you posted wouldn't apply to reptile expos as they're currently run, the way I read it.

Still - I do hope that your Governator realizes that the State of California has much bigger fish to fry, and promptly vetoes anything that would keep dollars out of his state, or keep dollars within his state from changing hands. (After all, those times when dollars change hands are his best opportunities to skim some off the top . . . )

~Bruce

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I also made calls and sent letters when this was first brought to my attention.

Thanks

perhaps instead of flinging poo after the action this should of been posted before it went to vote!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    perhaps instead of flinging poo after the action this should of been posted before it went to vote!
    He did - back in July:

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...4&postcount=64

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    perhaps he did, but a few posts about it is not going to get anything even done.

especially when you want ppl to email or call one rep. last time i checked there is more than a hand full of state reps! even so most contacts outside of said state are just trash canned.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    perhaps he did, but a few posts about it is not going to get anything even done.

especially when you want ppl to email or call one rep. last time i checked there is more than a hand full of state reps! even so most contacts outside of said state are just trash canned.
    The entire point is that we, as a Reptile Nation, should be more pro-active in getting involved and FINDING OUT what's going to endanger our hobby and moving swiftly with action, not apathy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    The entire point is that we, as a Reptile Nation, should be more pro-active in getting involved and FINDING OUT what's going to endanger our hobby and moving swiftly with action, not apathy.
    i understand the point and i due so continually in my very own, but when your know there is a hearing scheduled then you have to ramp up the effort swiftly especially at the time. to post about a bill introduced is fine but you have to keep up and post updates! we all have alot more on our plate than just a few bills in a few states. i check IN, ILL, MI, also federal all the time, but many dont know how or where to check for bills.

i did email them about this bill. i called all of the list in FL when that was in the works multiple times on every bill that was questionable. i think i have seen my state reps 7 or 8 times this year alone just to chat and keep them updated about certain bills. that isnt including phone calls and emails i have done over the years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast