Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,601

1 members and 1,600 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Update on Duke

Thanks

Update on Duke

Hey guys just a update on Duke. I've had him for almost 5 months and all has been well. I've been tagged once like 6 weeks ago but only that one time. I'm not sure how much be weighed when I got him but I weighed him a few days ago and he is now 420g. He is around 26-28" long now and was around 16" when I got him. So he is growing quickly and good.

I started feeding him small nice and quickly moved to adult mice, I was feeding him every 6 days and mice were no longer suitable. I tried a hamster but it was too big, he ate it but it wasn't easy to swallow and he wasn't hungry for like 9 or 10 more days. Last week I feed him a fancy gerbil, they had no juvenile rats so they let me have a gerbil for the same price. He ate it and it was the perfect size. On Saturday I fed him his first juvenile rat and he ate it. I'm planning on continuing the 6 day cycle for feeding with juvenile rats now.

I handle Duke almost everyday and he is tame and easy to handle, I don't handle him for 48 hours after feeding and always feed in a separate tank.

Here is a picture from the first day I had him:

Here are a couple taken today.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Re: Update on Duke

He looks really good but I would personally not feed any of my ball pythons hamsters because of their teeth and I wouldn't give them a gerbil unless they would not eat anything else and I knew I could get a steady supply of them because sometimes once you give them a gerbil they don't want anything else I have read. A rat weekly is a better way to go imo (and I see you are doing that now). Nice pics
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Re: Update on Duke

You're lucky he took the rat after the gerbil... glad he's not been a fussy feeder. Keep him on rats & he'll continue to grow nice for you.
    All the Best,
    Deb @ www.NorthernRegius.com