Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,152

2 members and 3,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Seeking Advice for my BP Enclosure

Hi. I have tried to do my best to set up my BP's habitat according to all the advice I've been told and have read (here and from other internet sources). I have included a couple of pictures below. My main concerns are regarding temperature. I have a heating pad under the left half of the enclosure. You can see the two hides in the foreground and the water dish in the back right on the cool side.

I put a temp probe in several places and found that the temp on the left side gets up to about 85 F and the right side up to about 74 F. The temperatures were taken on the surface of the substrate (Aspen). I've noticed that my BP (a little over 2 months old) digs trenches in the substrate, I'm assuming to get to the warmer part of the substrate. Is this normal, or should the temp be 90-95F at the surface? Is my substrate too deep maybe? Should a heat light be necessary in addition to the UTH? I put a 40W red heat light on the left side which only helps a little bit at the surface but gets the temp up to 93F about half way up the branch. I was hoping not to have to use a heat light at all but the UTH doesn't seem to be cutting it on its own. Last question... should the water dish be on the cool side (where I have it)?

Thanks for helping out a newbie! ... so much to learn.

-------------------------------------------
    Jim

1.0 Banana Black Pastel (Nolan)

Thanks

Re: Seeking Advice for my BP Enclosure

You should be checking temps down near the glass, not at the surface. Make sure your UTH is connected to a rheostat or thermostat, something so it's not running on full "on" position. I prefer water bowl on the cold side. If you're having humidity issues you could move it to the warm side to help.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bobbittle For This Useful Post:

Herp Hugger (10-12-2009)

Thanks

Also you may want to cover the back and sides to add security for your ball! I would also get the temp up to 90-94 on the warm side!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobbittle View Post
    You should be checking temps down near the glass, not at the surface. Make sure your UTH is connected to a rheostat or thermostat, something so it's not running on full "on" position. I prefer water bowl on the cold side. If you're having humidity issues you could move it to the warm side to help.
    That clears up a lot. The temp further down near the glass is around 94 F. So I think I'm OK. Is the heat lamp just a waste of electricity then?
    Jim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seeya205 View Post
    Also you may want to cover the back and sides to add security for your ball! I would also get the temp up to 90-94 on the warm side!
    Thanks also for that advice. I'll see what I can find to cover the back and sides.

Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Herp Hugger View Post
    That clears up a lot. The temp further down near the glass is around 94 F. So I think I'm OK. Is the heat lamp just a waste of electricity then?
    It is mostly a waste of humidity. Heat lamps will suck out most of the humidity from the air making it near impossible to keep at the recommended 50-60%. If you can keep your ambient temps above 75*F without the light then just get rid of it. If not, you can either get another UTH on a dimmer for the cool side or get a low wattage heat bulb.
    ~Steffe