Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,030

1 members and 3,029 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Congressional Budget Office to "Score" HR2811

From USARK:

Congressional Budget Office to "Score" HR2811

USARK was selected by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) to be the primary provider of Reptile Industry economic impact information in regards to HR2811 aka ‘The Python Ban’. The CBO is a non-partisan government agency that analyzes the economic impact of all the bills Congress writes. Other industry members were also contacted by the CBO or USARK to get input on the economic implications of HR2811. The CBO is in the process of “scoring” the bill; that is they are making a report of their evaluation regarding the impact this bill will have on the American economy, federal agency budgets and taxpayers.

We expect that the “score” for HR2811 will be out by early next week. Upon the release of the CBO report there will likely be some kind of move on HR2811. It could go to a floor vote, or a hearing, or further amendment. Of course USARK is fighting for further amendment. The bill was amended in July after pressure from USARK to change the scope of the bill from the BAN of the entire genus python, to only the Burmese Python (P. Molurus Bivittatus) and African Rock Python (P. Sebae). We continue to lobby to further limit the scope of the bill to ONLY the IMPORT of these two species; allowing the captive bred trade in these animals to continue.

USARK did the best job possible with these economic numbers. The CBO only gave us two business days to get this done. Nevertheless we made our deadline and painted an accurate picture of the kind of damage this bill could do to the Reptile Industry, the economy and the taxpayers. It is more costly than they might have imagined. The coming days will be critical to the Reptile Nation. Please stay tuned. Join us on Twitter for fast breaking updates.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

2kdime (10-10-2009),Alice (10-16-2009),blackcrystal22 (10-15-2009),cinderbird (10-11-2009),dr del (10-10-2009),I<3Dreamsicles (10-10-2009),Laooda (10-10-2009),mikels (10-10-2009),nixer (10-10-2009),pythontricker (10-11-2009),reptidude1 (10-10-2009)

Thanks

Re: Congressional Budget Office to "Score" HR2811

Thanks for the update Robin... The whole thing makes my belly flip.
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Just got my email as well!

So glad we have USARK on our side.

Thanks

Just think about the people that have so much money invested into burmese pythons.... If usark doesnt get it changed we are all screwed. My stomach is really flipping

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    Just think about the people that have so much money invested into burmese pythons.... If usark doesnt get it changed we are all screwed. My stomach is really flipping
    the big question is how many actually claim everything.

Thanks

The ammendment that usark pushed them into is what they should have started off with in the first place, not the total ban of all pythons. Get it pushed more for no importing. Who needs imports anyway. Maybe INCLUDE something about permits???? No imports, but the ability to trade within the country, and/or require permits.
    This is my signature
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to I<3Dreamsicles For This Useful Post:

iloveleucie63 (10-11-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Dreamsicles View Post
    The ammendment that usark pushed them into is what they should have started off with in the first place, not the total ban of all pythons. Get it pushed more for no importing. Who needs imports anyway. Maybe INCLUDE something about permits???? No imports, but the ability to trade within the country, and/or require permits.
    imports have their good side.

permits are not something that anyone should have to buy period! the biggest problem when we start talking permits is that they set the price high and then pretty much only breeders can afford them, but the problem with that is then there are little or no customers at all that can afford the permits or they just dont approve the permits period like in guam!

there is good points also, but unfortunately for us usually they will be far fewer than the bad points.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    imports have their good side.

permits are not something that anyone should have to buy period! the biggest problem when we start talking permits is that they set the price high and then pretty much only breeders can afford them, but the problem with that is then there are little or no customers at all that can afford the permits or they just dont approve the permits period like in guam!

there is good points also, but unfortunately for us usually they will be far fewer than the bad points.
    Permits should be needed because of irresponsible owners. Maybe just one for all snakes. Like a license. To show that you can and will care for your large animals. They dont have to have a high price. It will help snakes and make people afraid of big snakes feel more secure maybe?
    This is my signature
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to I<3Dreamsicles For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Honestly, because of the few irresponsible owners out there, that ruin it for everyone, I believe that Instead of "permits" there should be mandatory classes, and a mandatory test. Just like a drivers license. There are drivers licenses because irresponsible people get themselves or others killed. Same with VERY few snake owners (those are the idiots that ruin it for everyone). It would fend away impulse buyers (mostly), and educate the uninformed, if they still want to go through with it. THATS what needs to happen, because if you care about your herps, you'll go. You'll pay attention, and you'll pass the test. Just a thought. Forget permits that cost so many hundred dollars. Instead, make licenses that you have to take tests for. I know I would sit through a year of day in day out classes for my herp. Would you? Exactly. REAL snake owners would put in the time. Just my .
    1.0 normal (Pickles the drummer)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lepidunce View Post
    Honestly, because of the few irresponsible owners out there, that ruin it for everyone, I believe that Instead of "permits" there should be mandatory classes, and a mandatory test. Just like a drivers license. There are drivers licenses because irresponsible people get themselves or others killed. Same with VERY few snake owners (those are the idiots that ruin it for everyone). It would fend away impulse buyers (mostly), and educate the uninformed, if they still want to go through with it. THATS what needs to happen, because if you care about your herps, you'll go. You'll pay attention, and you'll pass the test. Just a thought. Forget permits that cost so many hundred dollars. Instead, make licenses that you have to take tests for. I know I would sit through a year of day in day out classes for my herp. Would you? Exactly. REAL snake owners would put in the time. Just my .
    Well.... thats what i was thinking. Whats the difference between a license and a permit? Ive heard em exchange license with permit for driving...
    And yes that is the main reason I said to have a permit because it would stop impulse buyers. Really, a test like that cant be hard though. Wanna make up some example questions? I think that any question they can come up with, anyone who has searched xxxxx python on google will know what they have to ask. - and i said permits because its another thing people would have to pay for even if its a small fee it might turn someone who probably wouldnt be able to care for it or provide food away from a full grown large snake.
    This is my signature
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

14. The Following User Says Thank You to I<3Dreamsicles For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast