Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 849

2 members and 847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

View Poll Results: how ofter do you hold your snake

Voters
480. You may not vote on this poll
  • once a day

138 28.75%
  • Many times a day

68 14.17%
  • every other day

274 57.08%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: how often do you hold your snakes?

This time of year, with the weather changing so dramatically every day, I end up going around checking temps daily. Since I use a tempgun, I do have to lift each of the snakes for a period of time. I do try to get them out for some serious handling once or twice a week, more often with the blood because he gets real nippy if he doesn't get handled regularly.

I love holding them and admiring them, but I honestly don't have the time. Besides, I'm always bound to have one or two in shed, and they need a few days a week to digest + a day before feeding to relax.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazy4Herps For This Useful Post:

HypoPita (10-17-2009)

Thanks

Guys, the options on this poll are really bad. You should not be handling a ball python multiple times per day for 20-30 minutes at a time. That is way too frequent of handling and causes a lot of stress for the animal. Most of you are new here, so I can't be too surprised that you are handling them so much.

When snakes "explore like crazy" they are stressed out of their minds. This is NOT a good thing, at all. Snakes can't feel secure when they are being ripped out of their home multiple times per day. Look at any care sheet on the web, and it will tell you this.

Snakes aren't dogs; they're not only happy if you let them explore, nor do they WANT to explore in the first place. In nature they spend their time hiding, waiting for food to come along. With as finicky ball pythons are, you really shouldn't be handling them so much.
    0.1 '05 Het. Hypo - Lelu
    1.0 '06 Hypo - Chester ; 0.1 '11 hypo holdback
    0.1 '07 Woma - Cleopatra aka Cleo
    1.0 '11 Pinstripe het hypo
    0.1 '06 German Shepard Runt - Mika (me-kuh)
    "it's not like cool-aide. its like..you know that powder that you put in water that makes it flavored" -you know who you are

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HypoPita For This Useful Post:

BallChick (11-17-2013),cattleya0507 (03-28-2019),CherryPython (03-31-2012),Effinch (05-15-2015),MsMissy (06-12-2013),Nocturnal (06-27-2010),Sonny1318 (10-09-2020)

Thanks

I usually handle once a day (aside from digesting days) for about 10 mins. Just so she can get out and see whats going on. I chose every other day though, cuz sometimes her body language just tells me "Eh, I don't want to come out today" so I leave her be.

I do check both tubs daily for pee/poop though.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elise.m For This Useful Post:

HypoPita (10-17-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HypoPita View Post
    Guys, the options on this poll are really bad. You should not be handling a ball python multiple times per day for 20-30 minutes at a time. That is way too frequent of handling and causes a lot of stress for the animal. Most of you are new here, so I can't be too surprised that you are handling them so much.

When snakes "explore like crazy" they are stressed out of their minds. This is NOT a good thing, at all. Snakes can't feel secure when they are being ripped out of their home multiple times per day. Look at any care sheet on the web, and it will tell you this.

Snakes aren't dogs; they're not only happy if you let them explore, nor do they WANT to explore in the first place. In nature they spend their time hiding, waiting for food to come along. With as finicky ball pythons are, you really shouldn't be handling them so much.

I do agree with you that most snakes will not feel very secure when being handled multiple times a day. but i do see a difference between exploring and trying to hide.

if their trying to find a hide spot and just get away, yea their stessed, personally i sit on the couch and watch tv while i handle my snakes most of the time and some of the less socialized snakes will usually go under me or a blanket or try to go between the couch cushion. I see this as the snakes being stressed. but usually over time (months not days) they get used to the flow of things and stop stressing and stop trying to hide. ill also point out snakes that act like that don't stay out too long. most of my ball pythons i only take out a couple times a week because their like this...most.

but if their truly exploring, i don't see any harm. and yes some, namly the carpet pythons DO want to explore, my big female even learned to get my attention so i will take her out and no its not because shes hungry lol. she just like that. but all of the carpets just hang out, no attempts to hide or anything. ball pythons tho are a different story

i do have one odd ball female that is screwed up. shes awake during the day and sleeps at night, she doesn't use her hide, she just pushes it around the cage when its in her way, no fear of people what so ever. shes one that i don't think would give a crap if i took her out multiple times a day. still only take her out a couple times a week. also my male lesser explores but i think all my other ball pythons just try to hide, but some are coming around slowly tho.

i think it depends on the snake itself. but i just have a my small collection and very little experience. i would say they only need to be taken out a few times a week to be socialized, short handling periods and they come around.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Effinch (05-15-2015),HoneyCombTina (06-30-2010),HypoPita (10-17-2009),Sonny1318 (10-09-2020),YoshiBP (11-09-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    but if their truly exploring, i don't see any harm. and yes some, namly the carpet pythons DO want to explore

i think it depends on the snake itself. but i just have a my small collection and very little experience. i would say they only need to be taken out a few times a week to be socialized, short handling periods and they come around.
    Agreed.

This is in the bp section, so I wasn't talking about carpets. I just noticed that almost everyone who has commented about handling their snakes multiple times per day, also almost all have one snake, and almost all have joined in the past 3 months. All of this seems to imply that they are new owners, and probably would not have enough experience to know the difference between stressed and happy yet. It was also being regarded as a good action to have them out multiple times a day because they want to explore. Just felt it was important to point out for the benefit of their animals.
    0.1 '05 Het. Hypo - Lelu
    1.0 '06 Hypo - Chester ; 0.1 '11 hypo holdback
    0.1 '07 Woma - Cleopatra aka Cleo
    1.0 '11 Pinstripe het hypo
    0.1 '06 German Shepard Runt - Mika (me-kuh)
    "it's not like cool-aide. its like..you know that powder that you put in water that makes it flavored" -you know who you are

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HypoPita For This Useful Post:

robin.worden.65 (09-14-2015),Sonny1318 (10-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HypoPita View Post
    Agreed.

This is in the bp section, so I wasn't talking about carpets. I just noticed that almost everyone who has commented about handling their snakes multiple times per day, also almost all have one snake, and almost all have joined in the past 3 months. All of this seems to imply that they are new owners, and probably would not have enough experience to know the difference between stressed and happy yet. It was also being regarded as a good action to have them out multiple times a day because they want to explore. Just felt it was important to point out for the benefit of their animals.

yea guess is wasn't paying attention, clicked on this thread from the main page lol. the title just says snakes. you bring up a good point tho. gotta do whats best for the snake. and it is hard to pick up on animal behavior, only comes with experience and im still learning.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (10-09-2020)

Thanks

I handle our ball python as much as I can. If she is hungry, I will not hold her until she has eaten and digested, but other than that..at least once a day, for as long as I can. I handle the corn snake at least once a week. He is still small and really fast and slithery, so don't want to risk him getting loose.

Nixie

Thanks

once a week

Thanks

I try a few times a week...sometimes with work and school only 1 a week for feeding.
    1.0 Normal BP (Spinx)
    1.1 Pastel BP's (Blaze, Pheonix)
    .1 Spider BP (Stryder)

Thanks

My Burm comes out when I have friends over that want to see him, or when he poops/pees/sheds. My BP comes out when I feel like handling him, which could be a few times a week, or once a month.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast