Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,717

2 members and 2,715 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is she sick?

Thanks

is she sick?

Ok heres the list of problems....
    Shes been in shed for about a week and a half and alreay went through the cloudy stage. shes cleared up quite a bit but never actually started shedding. Shes refused last weeks meal. I just swapped her very old cedar bedding for some aspen bedding. For about 4 or 5 days shes been acting wierd and hasnt left her water bowl unless i pull her out. Yesterday i pulled her out and she sat there for about 5 mins stretching and realigning her jaws. No signs of mouth rot. i was thinking it was 1 of 2 things....
    1. i had a small breakout of fleas (i believe they were fleas) in my tank but ive completely changed everything and scrubbed it out nice

2. the new bedding is upsetting her and shes not used to it (but she started acting wierd before the change).

Please advise...

Ps... I dont know the exact humidity but i do know it has went up do to the addition of a bigger water bowl and a wet towel over the top. temps are 84-90 as ive always had them

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Re: is she sick?

She's just having a slow shed, sounds like.

Check for mites, though. Fleas don't bother reptiles. Perhaps they were springtails, if they were jumping.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

so she ate yesterday... but still sittin in the water. startin to peel a bit but i think the water is stopping her from drying up enough to shed. should i pull out the water dish and put in a smaller one?

Thanks

As far I know, you should never keep bps on cedar, its toxic isn't it?

Thanks

First of all I think that cedar as bedding is a no no They say it can kill bp's. Second of all sounds like mites they don't get fleas. Also don't take the water bowl, it will come out of the bowl if and when it is ready to shed and it might be soaking to kill the mites!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

She does not need to "dry out" to shed.
    Sounds like you have mites.
    Do some research, shedding does not happen in only a few days, it is a process that takes over a week from start to finish.
    Snakes look like they go back to "normal" before they shed.
    If she has cleared up and has not yet shed just wait a day or 2 and she will have.
    Should be a one piece shed if she has been soaking that much.
    *HINT* The reason she is soaking so much is because she has mites, NOT because she is shedding.
    -Steven

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Keeper View Post
    Ok heres the list of problems....
    Shes been in shed for about a week and a half and alreay went through the cloudy stage. shes cleared up quite a bit but never actually started shedding. Shes refused last weeks meal. I just swapped her very old cedar bedding for some aspen bedding. For about 4 or 5 days shes been acting wierd and hasnt left her water bowl unless i pull her out. Yesterday i pulled her out and she sat there for about 5 mins stretching and realigning her jaws. No signs of mouth rot. i was thinking it was 1 of 2 things....
    1. i had a small breakout of fleas (i believe they were fleas) in my tank but ive completely changed everything and scrubbed it out nice

2. the new bedding is upsetting her and shes not used to it (but she started acting wierd before the change).

Please advise...
    Ps... I dont know the exact humidity but i do know it has went up do to the
    addition of a bigger water bowl and a wet towel over the top. temps are 84-90 as ive always had them
    Hello:
    You should have something to read the humidity in the tank, you can pull the snake out of the water and check in the water bowl for little black specs, if you see them, than the snake has mites. Your best bet is to google PAM. It can be ordered offline and is the most recommended around the site.

The reason I say you need to buy something to measure humidity, is because your snake will ned a constant 60% humidity. When the shed cycle starts, you should bump this up.. Few mists a day should do the trick.

Do you have the snake in an aquarium or a tub? And if you believe the snake may have mites, take out the bedding and put them on paper towel, this makes it easier to tell if the snake has mites.

Your ambient temps seem a bit high as well. I believe 82-84 is recommended.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Pine Shavings: Recently it has come to light that pine shavings can be toxic. They give off fumes that can be harmful. Not as bad as cedar but I won't use it. DO NOT EVER USE CEDAR BEDDING!!! Cedar bedding is very toxic to reptiles and will kill them! Actually it is toxic to the small mammals it is generally used for too.

This came right from the link that was posted here. This is the reason she may have been acting weird before changing here to aspen! She was being poisoned!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm glad you caught onto cedar being toxic before it was too late.

"They are NOT rights if they can be taken away. Merely limited privleges."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast