Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

1 members and 3,265 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Soggy Newspaper Problem

Hey folks, I'm wondering what can be done about this worsening predicament...

Ever since putting crumpled newspaper on the bottom of our BP's tank a month or so ago, he stopped his incessant roaming and been hiding and eating perfectly fine. I'm quite happy to leave them as a permanent fixture in there. HOWEVAH...

During his nocturnal roamings, he rearranges the newspaper and they end up hanging inside the water dish, soaking up the water, getting soggy, and transferring that water to the substrate (newspaper and paper towel). Last night I filled the dish (about 3/4 cup worth?) and this morning it was literally dry, with the substrate quite soggy.

The only thing I can think of is to remove the newspaper each night. He really likes it covering the doorway of the hides, though. Anything else I can do?
    1 husband ~ 2 daughters
    1 dog ~ 3 cats ~ 1 guinea pig
    1 BP: Patriot

Thanks

Re: Soggy Newspaper Problem

Taller water dish?

Thanks

Maybe you can put a little barricade around the water dish that only he'll fit in, and will block anything from falling in?

Say like a plastic Tupperware bowl and cut little entries at the top wide and tall enough to he can fit through them, but leave the rest of the bowl in tact. Flip it over, and it'll act as a little tent for the water bowl...

Or, if your water bowl is a part of keeping your humidity, you can get a cheap plastic strainer from the .99 cent store, and do the same thing. That way the water evaporating won't get caught in the tupperware.

Maybe there's an easier way, hopefully there is, lol... But that's what I thought of, hope it helps!
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

I have the same issue with my snakes...so instead of whole or half page crumples i tear the newspaper into quarters and then crumple it up and I crumple them up tighter. Works 85% of the time. In my limited experience, you will always have to deal with some from of water bowl spilling/newspaper. Also push the paper away from the water bowl as far back, and keep his hide (assuming you only use one...I only use one) as far opposite his water bowl as you can.
    ]

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Perhaps you could try using some fake plants, instead. They might soak up less water. I've found that after I have gotten a ball eating using the paper trick, I can take it out again after a few feedings, and they keep eating.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think that it's awesome that the newspaper trick has worked for you so well!

However, at some point, you can start to wean him off of it, by removing a piece or two every few days, until there is none left. He should by that time, be more comfortable in his home and his routines.

If he begins the constant roaming again, I'd take an inventory of how his set-up is, and see if there isn't something that can't be improved upon, so that you don't have to become dependent upon the newspaper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

In the meantime you can try to use a deli cup style container with the lid on it. Make a hole in the center and you won't have to worry about the paper going in, but your bp can stick his head in for a drink.
    --Walt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    In the meantime you can try to use a deli cup style container with the lid on it.
    Can snakes learn how to drink from straws?

Well, I took out the newspaper last night (down to only 2 pieces, but left pretty big, not scrunched up tightly) and awoke this morning to find him curled up next to the warm hide. That's a new one!

Within a few minutes of my putting the newspaper back in -- one over the doorway of each hide -- he went inside the warm hide. It's almost like he needs a "curtain" across the doorway.
    1 husband ~ 2 daughters
    1 dog ~ 3 cats ~ 1 guinea pig
    1 BP: Patriot

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

try this.. Take the newspaper out and cover the tank with something see if he still eats and all.. I use to have to do that for a Het pied of mine..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"