Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,118

0 members and 3,118 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

kijiji bans snake adds

Kijii has just banned advertising of snakes. Infact any add with the word snake in it will be removed. This will cost the lives of snakes continently. Many snakes find new and better homes through kijiji, keeping many out of shelters and rescues. More animals will now be abandoned, neglected and killed. Shelters will be over run. Kijiji is only thinking of themselves in this matter and how difficult it is for them to moniter illigal and dangerous snake adds. They are not thinking of the harm this will cuase many animals.
    Write to them explaining this or any other concerns you think this will cuase.
    1.0 50% het clown 1.0 50% het lavender 2.6 normal bp 1.0 normal poss axanthic 1.0 het pied bp 1.0 yellow belly 1.0 mojave bp 2.0 spider bp 2.1 pastel bp1.1 Cinnamon bp
    7.0 corns - normal motley stripe het snow,anery a het hypo, snow, red candy cane, motley stripe orange candy cane, anery motley possible ghost , butter motley 0.6 corns -amel,high white amel,creamsicle,ghost, snow, orange candy cane 1.0 albino jungle corn, 1.0 mexican black king, 1.0 california king, 1.0 milk snake 0.1 kenyan sand boa 0.1 dummerils boa 1.1 bci normal, 0.1 pastel bci,0.1 kahl albino bci,1.0 salmon het kahl albino bci, 0.1 guatamalan boa 0.1 hogg island boa 1.0 JCP 0.1 woma python 3.0 leos-normal,blizzard,rw albino,rw b blizzard 0.7 leos-normal,hypo tangerine,mack snow,albino, rwb blizzard,raptor, rw albino 0.1 C. Turneri (thick toed gecko)1.1 crested gecko0.1rose hair T. 0.0.1 black emporer scorpion
    1.0 beardie

http://kryptonianreptiles.webs.com Kryptonian Reptiles now on Facebook

Thanks

Re: kijiji bans snake adds

can you provide a link because im just not seeing anything saying they are doing this

Thanks

From what I can tell just from a quick look it seems the ban is just in Canada. If I am wrong please correct me.

Also, is it all snakes or just the ones that are illegal to own in that area?
    REPTILES: Ball Pythons, Bearded Dragons, Blue Tongue Skink, Corn Snakes, Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Mali Uromastyxs, Sulcata Tortoise, Tokay Geckos, Veiled Chameleons.
    FISH: African Cichlids, Rhino Pleco, Silver Dollars, Tiger Oscars
    MAMMALS: Miniture Pinschers, Cat, ASF's, boyfriend, me

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

It's certainly not in Nebraska in the US, wherever it is. My ads are still up on Kijiji here.

Appears to be Canada. Kijiji Canada prohibits posting species that are on the CITES list, and pythons are CITES listed. They also prohibit posting wild animals, and animals that are illegal to own the city where they're being listed. The interpretation of what is a wild animal may be subject to local laws (in the US, cage reptiles are considered pets, not wildlife).

Note: I cannot imagine how Kijiji prohibiting snake ads will cost the lives of snakes. Other classified services exist, and I'm sure you guys have reptile rescues up there, too.
    Last edited by WingedWolfPsion; 09-17-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

If it is only on canada it will probably follow in the states eventually. It is all snakes no matter what species. Just the word snake in the add will get it removed. They removed my pet mouse add becuase I specified the mice were not to be snake food.

We have rescues and shelters here but I think they will become overwhelmed with snakes when people cant rehome them. I am only aware of a couple of other online classifieds, kijiji was the most used.
    It will cost some snakes their lives when the shelters turn them away becuase there is no room and the owner cant sell or give the snake away as easily. Many people will just abandon or neglect the animal to death where they would have used kijiji instead.

It is another hit on reptile owners and is going to help the grim future when reptiles are banned as pets altogether.
    1.0 50% het clown 1.0 50% het lavender 2.6 normal bp 1.0 normal poss axanthic 1.0 het pied bp 1.0 yellow belly 1.0 mojave bp 2.0 spider bp 2.1 pastel bp1.1 Cinnamon bp
    7.0 corns - normal motley stripe het snow,anery a het hypo, snow, red candy cane, motley stripe orange candy cane, anery motley possible ghost , butter motley 0.6 corns -amel,high white amel,creamsicle,ghost, snow, orange candy cane 1.0 albino jungle corn, 1.0 mexican black king, 1.0 california king, 1.0 milk snake 0.1 kenyan sand boa 0.1 dummerils boa 1.1 bci normal, 0.1 pastel bci,0.1 kahl albino bci,1.0 salmon het kahl albino bci, 0.1 guatamalan boa 0.1 hogg island boa 1.0 JCP 0.1 woma python 3.0 leos-normal,blizzard,rw albino,rw b blizzard 0.7 leos-normal,hypo tangerine,mack snow,albino, rwb blizzard,raptor, rw albino 0.1 C. Turneri (thick toed gecko)1.1 crested gecko0.1rose hair T. 0.0.1 black emporer scorpion
    1.0 beardie

Thanks

Recently, my wife posted an ad to selll a pair of breeding age corn snakes on Kijiji. The problem we have with their response is that corn snakes are not on the CITES list and the link for "policies" didn't work (it went to the general page instead of where they listed snakes as not allowable). I think there are much more dangerous things for sale on kijiji than snakes. And if it was truly based on user feedback, tell me why I wasn't ask? I don't feel it will keep snakes from going into shelters or anything as the post suggests... I just think the ruling is biased against snakes specifically.

Here's what Kijiji - Canada responded:

Subject: Your Kijiji Ad Breeding Pair - Amel Corn Snakes (155170017) has been removed.

Your Kijiji Ad Breeding Pair - Amel Corn Snakes (155170017) has been removed in accordance with our policies.

Effective this week, drawing from user feedback and in line with the Kijiji values, the sale of snakes on Kijiji will no longer be permitted. Two main reasons motivate this decision. First, municipal, provincial and federal laws restrict the possession and sale of many types of snakes across the country. The rules and bylaws vary from city to city or province to province, making it difficult for our Community Support group to monitor the ads posted on the site while remaining in compliance with the law. Second, many snakes, such as pythons or vipers, are extremely dangerous and shouldn’t be advertised on Kijiji, as allowing these posts betrays the spirit of Kijiji as a safe online Community. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Kijiji

For information on our policies, you can visit: http://london.kijiji.ca/p-Policies Any future ads that are not in compliance with our policies will also be removed. We sincerely value you as a member of our trading community and look forward to a continued successful relationship. To ensure this relationship, we must respectfully ask that you abide by our Policies in the future. We thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,Customer Support

Cheers,

Brett and Shannon

PS If it isn't in the states, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't try to pass this there too (unless they get a lot of rumble from not allowing sales in Canada).

Thanks

I just checked their policies, no where in there does it say that snakes aren't allowed - and there are snakes listed for sale in my area.
    1.0 Normal Ball (Baby)
    1.0 Crestie (Spartacus)

Thanks

I just checked the chicago area kijiji and they still have snakes in our area on the site

Thanks

kijii recieved enough feedback from angry snake people that they revised the rules to ban only dangerous and larger snakes.
    1.0 beardie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptonian View Post
    kijii recieved enough feedback from angry snake people that they revised the rules to ban only dangerous and larger snakes.
    what might i ask would include "dangerous and larger"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast