Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,367

1 members and 1,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Africanized Pythons... really??

Yes people, now we're in danger of gentle Burmese pythons in Florida getting "Africanized" by Rock Pythons. Which, incidentally, have been known to eat people. Of course they don't cite sources... you'll just have to take their word on it.

Must be a slow news day.

Link to article.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Re: Africanized Pythons... really??

well the burmese populations aren't turning out to be as big as they thought, so they move onto the next hysteria.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

theres so many grammatical typos LOL i hope nobody takes it seriously

i couldnt. thats for sure. LMAO it just all sounds really REALLY dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Registered User TheLaughingDemon's Avatar
    Thanks

I live in South Florida, I've seen burms on the side of the road dead before. One thing I'm a little perplexed out is: why only burms? Retics and boas pose the same risks of getting dumped into the lakes due to being too big or aggressive.... maybe burms are just cursed.

Either way, people are very stupid and gullible and they'd rather listen to the flashy "MAN EATING SNAKE ON THE LOOSE!!!!!" article than "It was the owner's fault for letting them loose in the first place, the animals have no reason to be hated"

but then we responsible , informed herpers are grouped into the stereotypes of the idiots who don't know what they're doing and only want big snakes to impress people and look cool. It's a no win situation, baby!

And that is the end of my rant. Tune in on sunday, 10/pm eastern to see me complain about something else!

Thanks

well if you think of it when the import and export companies got wacked by hurricane Andrew there were more than just burms , rocks and boa's let loose. funny how you dont hear about the rest of the species that got loose back then. but then again no one fears the little things they cant see or do they?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingDemon View Post
    I live in South Florida, I've seen burms on the side of the road dead before. One thing I'm a little perplexed out is: why only burms? Retics and boas pose the same risks of getting dumped into the lakes due to being too big or aggressive.... maybe burms are just cursed.

Either way, people are very stupid and gullible and they'd rather listen to the flashy "MAN EATING SNAKE ON THE LOOSE!!!!!" article than "It was the owner's fault for letting them loose in the first place, the animals have no reason to be hated"

but then we responsible , informed herpers are grouped into the stereotypes of the idiots who don't know what they're doing and only want big snakes to impress people and look cool. It's a no win situation, baby!

And that is the end of my rant. Tune in on sunday, 10/pm eastern to see me complain about something else!
    They do not, however, have the same chances of surviving. Burms are doing so well because the Everglades match their home climate so closely, boas and other python species don't like the high humidity and wetlands of the everglades or southern-Florida as much.

Thanks

One problem I see with the artice is that from what I've read on "Cateaters" (rock x burm) is that they are infact smaller than either parent species(males 7-9ft and 20-40lbs, females 10-12ft and 40-60lbs) and are docile in temperment so the idea of a giant super aggressive monster just doesn't hold up..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingDemon View Post
    I think most people can't tell the difference between the snakes so eveything is a Burm. The same reason people refer to all soft drinks as Cokes, or all facial tissues are called Kleenex, or all cotton swabs are called Q-tips... meh
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster320 View Post
    One problem I see with the artice is that from what I've read on "Cateaters" (rock x burm) is that they are infact smaller than either parent species(males 7-9ft and 20-40lbs, females 10-12ft and 40-60lbs) and are docile in temperment so the idea of a giant super aggressive monster just doesn't hold up..
    I'm pretty sure their called bateaters not cateaters.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    They do not, however, have the same chances of surviving. Burms are doing so well because the Everglades match their home climate so closely, boas and other python species don't like the high humidity and wetlands of the everglades or southern-Florida as much.
    i think this is crazy talk, south florida offers the perfect habitat for retics and boas and all kinds of habitat.

What people don't get is even if they are breeding in the wild, their chances of making it to adult hood are pretty slim with all of the predators around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast