Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,454

1 members and 2,453 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Yes! I got him on canned!

I just wanted to share this, my cat now LOVES his canned food! I am making progress. While he still snubs any raw meat except chicken fat, I am one huge step closer to getting him on to a raw meat diet. I'm so glad he is off kibble!

This has been tough, but what turned him on to canned food was the chunky cat food with the sauce/gravy. I've been using Fancy Feast chicken in broth (or was it turkey?), the only one with minimal carbs and grain, and I think I'm going to make sure he is completely happy with canned before I try to bring in different flavors and texture.

Thanks

Re: Yes! I got him on canned!

What is the benefit of getting them off dry? It took me forever to get the cats off wet onto dry only. Getting woken up early to feed them sucked. I've considered raw for my puppy but hadn't really heard of doing it for cats or what the benefits may be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    What is the benefit of getting them off dry? It took me forever to get the cats off wet onto dry only. Getting woken up early to feed them sucked. I've considered raw for my puppy but hadn't really heard of doing it for cats or what the benefits may be.
    I would also like to know this, as we are thinking we'd like to get a cat in a couple years. I thought that feeding only wetfood gives them tooth and gum problems. But I also don't like the thought of giving kibble with corn in it to a carnivorous animal. So I would love to hear your (or others') thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Cats teeth are not designed to be eating food that is as "crunchy" as dry food. Both cats and ferrets have teeth issues related to dry food.

In addition, dry food has a very large amount of plant content. Cats are obligatory carnivores, and while they may munch grass on occasion for various digestive reasons, the dry food just really isn't be best cat food out there.

That said, plenty of cats live to old age without too many problems being fed dry food. It works, but is statistically proven to have problems associated with it.

At least, that's my understanding.

I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable about raw diets for cats can chime in about the problems with dry food.

Thanks

Congrats Connie, I would only feed canned too but my guy is the most obnoxious cat ever if he doesn't get a little bit of dry every day.

I feed my cat both...but in very controlled amounts.

This is the dry...
    http://www.evopet.com/

This is the wet...
    http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_cat_can

My cat loves both of these foods and since switching his diabetes is almost completely gone. Its a little more expensive but you feed much less of it.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger