Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,935

4 members and 2,931 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Talking My Euthanization Chamber

Not very complex, but will definitely get the job done All I used was a small 16 oz ziploc container for holding

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Re: My Euthanization Chamber

How to you measure the amount of CO2 you use? Too much will cause the feeder to suffer. Too little won't get the job done. That looks like too small of a container. It looks like it will only hold 2-3 mice comfortably and even then, it just doesn't seem like enough room to be done correctly.

When I had a CO2 chamber, I used an igloo cooler with a kritter keeper and dry ice. It was big enough to euthanize up to 10 mice at a time. I plan on making one again soon.
    Under Construction.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_Bunny For This Useful Post:

kjinxx2 (09-10-2009)

Thanks

Right now I just do one at a time, as I need (I don't plan on freezing them), however I built it so that the whole black assembly (Made of rubber) is easily detached and a larger container can be put on. As for measuring, I wasn't aware of a way to measure co2 levels, I just assumed that as long as the mouse wasn't 'gasping' that the level wasn't too high. However, there is a control valve on the remote line itself.

Thanks

I'm very interested in making one of these myself. Any chance you could post your materials list?

Thanks

Sure, it's really easy...
    - 12 oz CO2 tank (Easily found for cheap on craigslist)
    - Paintball remote line (I found mine for $20 shipped on craigslist, but you can either buy one new for about $40 or just buy the on/off valve for a few bucks and assemble your own line)
    - 16 oz Ziploc container (This part is up to you, you can use any type of container, use a larger container if you're putting down more than one mouse at a time)
    - 3/4" to 1/2" rubber hose adaptor (This is completely unnecessary, but made attaching the line to the container much easier. Also, I can disconnect the rubber hose adaptor easily to put on a new container.)

Basically, I cut a 3/4" hold in the side of the container and put in the adaptor, then sealed it up with universal rubber cement. The whole container is airtight, so it's important to put a 'relief' hole in the top so the oxygen can evacuate and allow the CO2 to takes it's place.

Thanks

Thanks for the response!