Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,735

2 members and 2,733 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Ok seriously I'm switching to tubs, help me out on my list. ?'s also.

Nobody touched on this yet,

3- Can I just peel off the 10-20g UTH off of my 20g tank or would I need to do something to peel it off?
    The problem with reusing the stick on heating pads is not that you might not get them to stick again, it creates a potential safety hazard. When you peel them off of the aquarium, you'll be bending the pad in such a way that you can crack/break the heating element that is encased inside the plastic covering. Either it won't break and nothing will happen, or you could break it cleanly in which case it just won't heat anymore or you could crack it and create a short in the element which could eventually overheat and start a fire. Since it's encased in plastic you can't tell by looking at it whether or not its broken. This is why I don't use the stick on heating pads anymore. Once you stick them on something they're not designed to come off again.
    Last edited by MarkS; 09-17-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Vypyrz, that looks very similar to what I do/use with my snakies (though, I use Flexwatt). I have the binder clips to keep the lid on, too (one on each side).

Target has tubs for much cheaper, though. I get all of mine there; the 41qt tubs are $7 each.

Soldering irons work great for making the holes. I've heard wood-burning tools work also, but I've never tried them. And if you don't like the melted plastic "ring" around the holes, just take some needle-nose pliers to 'em and they pop right off.

As for why people switch to racks, well, I switched because I just don't have the space for more than a couple 40-gallon tanks. But I can fit two 41qt tub racks in my bedroom just fine and still have plenty of room to wander around. I also have trouble keeping the humidity up, even covering over half of the screen top of a 40-gallon with plexiglass. Tubs keep the humidity at a decent level even without a humid hide (though, I still supply one anyway).
    Periodic Table Pythons - Quality, captive-bred pythons? It's elementary!

1.0 VPI Axanthic, 1.0 Genetic Stripe, 1.0 Red Axanthic, 1.0 Lesser Platinum, 1.0 50% Het Albino, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Het VPI Axanthic, 0.1 Het Red Axanthic, 0.1 Het G-Stripe, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eventide View Post
    Vypyrz, that looks very similar to what I do/use with my snakies (though, I use Flexwatt). I have the binder clips to keep the lid on, too (one on each side).

Target has tubs for much cheaper, though. I get all of mine there; the 41qt tubs are $7 each.

Soldering irons work great for making the holes. I've heard wood-burning tools work also, but I've never tried them. And if you don't like the melted plastic "ring" around the holes, just take some needle-nose pliers to 'em and they pop right off.

As for why people switch to racks, well, I switched because I just don't have the space for more than a couple 40-gallon tanks. But I can fit two 41qt tub racks in my bedroom just fine and still have plenty of room to wander around. I also have trouble keeping the humidity up, even covering over half of the screen top of a 40-gallon with plexiglass. Tubs keep the humidity at a decent level even without a humid hide (though, I still supply one anyway).

But didnt you hate that you couldnt see your snakes

Thanks

To keep my bps humidity high enough i usually put a damp cloth over 4/5 of the cage. its helps, and also spray the cage a couple times. Hope that helps
    "Don't Underestimate me."
    My herps:
    1.0.0 Ball Python- rex
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon- Spike
    0.1.0 Crested Gecko- Cheweh
    0.0.2 Metallic Pink Toe Tarantula-Bubbles, Skittle(My little brother named them)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsshields View Post
    You can't see them in tanks either. They are always in their hides.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsshields View Post
    Sometimes, yeah. I always loved watching my normal female explore her tank at night (I'm a night owl). But if I want to see her, then I just get her out. I usually have one of my reptiles out at any given time.

Then again, I see my ball pythons in their tubs more than I do my Brazilian rainbow, who has the equivalent of a snake condo. (I think she does it on purpose, the little pill.)

I guess it's just preference.
    Periodic Table Pythons - Quality, captive-bred pythons? It's elementary!

1.0 VPI Axanthic, 1.0 Genetic Stripe, 1.0 Red Axanthic, 1.0 Lesser Platinum, 1.0 50% Het Albino, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Het VPI Axanthic, 0.1 Het Red Axanthic, 0.1 Het G-Stripe, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal.

Thanks

As far as seeing in the tub, I can see mine when she decides to grace us with her presence. The top the of tub is a little cloudy, but the bottom half is clear so if I wanted to I can watch her "explore" when she's out and about at night time.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eventide View Post
    Sometimes, yeah. I always loved watching my normal female explore her tank at night (I'm a night owl). But if I want to see her, then I just get her out. I usually have one of my reptiles out at any given time.

Then again, I see my ball pythons in their tubs more than I do my Brazilian rainbow, who has the equivalent of a snake condo. (I think she does it on purpose, the little pill.)

I guess it's just preference.

yea this is true i guess my boa really never hides in her hid she enjoys laying on her log and my ball python she really isnt a hider either

but i do get them out alot so i g uess i do seem them enough lol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234