Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

2 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Re: Ok seriously I'm switching to tubs, help me out on my list. ?'s also.

Instead of the dimmers you could get something like a Ranco or Johnson thermostat for a little bit more than the dimmers. If the setups are the same you can use one of those to control multiple tubs and they are more dependable.
    --Walt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

1- 10-20g UTH ($21 each)
    2- 2 dimmers ($21 each)
    3- 2 AccuRite ($15? each)
    4- Soldering Iron (er...$$?)
    5- tell me anything else I may need.
    5. Something to secure the lids to prevent escapes.
    6. Instead of dimmers, get a THERMOSTAT.

1- What size tub would I need for a BP who is around 1.5 feet long?
    Probably a 15qt tub. Do you know how much the snake weighs? you might be able to just move to a bigger tub right off the bat. Especially if you have been using tanks.
    2- What size tub would I need for a BP who is about 3 feet long?
    She is a big girl right? a 30-40qt tub would be enough.
    3- Can I just peel off the 10-20g UTH off of my 20g tank or would I need to do something to peel it off?
    There is a tutorial somewhere on how to do this. Just make sure you check the UTH to make sure it functions correctly.
    4- If the UTH can't stick back onto a tub, what could I use to make it stick again?
    Aluminum tape.
    5- With a dimmer, could the UTH not melt the tub?
    It is possible if the temps in your house fluctuate. Get a thermostat.
    6- What are the best places to buy the tubs and AccuRites?
    I buy tubs from the container store (they are super clear). Accurites can be bought at home depot. I just saw them the other day.
    7- Could I use anything else besides a soldering iron to put holes in the tubs?
    I have heard of people heating up a screw driver with a lighter or gas stove and then melting holes with that.
    8- How much would everything pretty much cost me just so I know how much money I should be making to acquire this stuff ($93 estimated for the stuff besides soldering iron, but how much would the iron cost)?
    Tubs are between $5-10 depending on size. A UTH is about $20. If you are worried about cost it might be worth it to completely switch to flexwatt. A THERMOSTAT is about $25. Acurites are like $12.

I would look to spend around $100. Just in case somethings cost more than you expect.

Hope this helps!
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I'm someone who used a tub from the start--and sterilite melts wonderfully when you heat up a metal chopstick and push it through--I'm sure a screwdriver would do the trick too. =)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

I just set up a tub this week end. Let me get the pics uploaded...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by p3titexburial View Post
    I'm someone who used a tub from the start--and sterilite melts wonderfully when you heat up a metal chopstick and push it through--I'm sure a screwdriver would do the trick too. =)
    This is what I did to put holes in my tub. At first I just pushed the screwdriver through the plastic. But the second round of holes I did, I held the screwdriver over a candle, let it heat up and it made things ALOT easier, and my hand wasn't as red as an apple!

I agree with everyone else, get a thermostat. I currently use a dimmer, and it works for me because I'm home all the time and never leave for more than 12 hours. I check in on my temps very frequently. It would be so much easier if I had a thermostat though!
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

Most of what I needed I got at Wal-mart. I use a 34qt for my '08 male. he is about 30" and weighs 470g. I set my '07 up in a 41qt tub. He is about 1150g. Here is a list of what I purchased from Wal Mart.
    1- 34qt tub ( approx $12)
    1- 41qt tub (approx $14)
    1- soldering iron (aprox $10)
    4- boxes of binder clips (approx $12) (2 boxes of 2" clips, and 2 boxes of 1" clips)
    1- pack of gripper pads ( approx $4) ( these are in the hardware section where all the felt and furniture slider pads are)
    I also use some bungee cords to wrap around the tubs to help keep it closed. I already had these but if you get some make sure they are tight enough to help hold the lid but not too tight to bend the tub in.

I wasn't sure how many holes I would need so I started with one row on each of the long sides and decided to space them about 2 inches apart and marked them...

Then I used the soldering iron to punch the holes...

Taped on the UTH...

Next I applied these little gripper pads so the UTH didnt set directly on the table. I put them at each corner and in the center so the middle of the tub didn't sag...

After I set up the t-stat, I just added some of the stuff from the tank that would fit...

Once I put the lid on I added the binder clips ( located in the office and school supplies section). I used the 2" ones on the long sides and the 1" ones for the ends. These are to pinch the lips of the tub and lid together so there aren't any gaps for the snake to squeeze through. You may even be able to use clothes pins or even large paperclips for this.Whatever is effective. I also added one of my bungee cords to help keep the lid on...

The last pic is of the 41qt tub because I want to point out a problem I had to contend with yesterday. Because it rained all day the humidity in the house and tanks was at around 65%. The ceiling fan in the snake room normally keeps the tanks well ventilated because they are open on top. Now if you notice on my Accurite, the bottom number is the humidity and it was at about 82%. Since the holes are on the side, the ceiling fan wasn't doing much. What I did was simply put a oscillating fan so that it was blowing on the side of the tubs and it eventually got the humidity back down. I still may need to add a few more holes to allow for more ventilation, and then cover some up when the weather changes.
    As for making the holes. There were pretty good ideas listed above. You could also probably drill them, but you would need to make sure there were no sharp burrs left on the inside. Hope this helps...

Rob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elise.m View Post
    This is what I did to put holes in my tub. At first I just pushed the screwdriver through the plastic. But the second round of holes I did, I held the screwdriver over a candle, let it heat up and it made things ALOT easier, and my hand wasn't as red as an apple!
    You could use an awl like I am using in my first pic above to mark my holes. It has a very sharp point and would probably be easier, especially when heated, than a screwdriver for punching holes...

Rob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Or you could buy a soldering iron from Walmart for $4.97 and it would be extremely quick.
    --Walt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    Or you could buy a soldering iron from Walmart for $4.97 and it would be extremely quick.
    Good point. A soldering iron is what i'm using in my pic above. It is completely different from a "soldering gun", which looks more like a drill (for the mechanically impaired). If you try to use a "soldering gun" you are probably going to make a big mess and possibly ruin the tub...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    Yeah, I plan on doing this with the next tub I get. I tried to convince my BF to let me get one but he insists that I'm going to burn myself.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast