Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

3 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Starting a Lobster Roach Colony (Advice?)

I picked up a bowl of Lobster Roaches at the Raleigh, NC reptile show over the weekend with hopes of starting a colony to feed my Bearded Dragon. Has anyone here ever started their own colony? I have done some research online, but just wanted some first-hand advice. I will start my colony tonight, and hope that it all goes well.

Thanks for any advice and tips you can give me.

-Jason

Thanks

Re: Starting a Lobster Roach Colony (Advice?)

Key advice for Lobsters, don't let them escape. Feed them and keep them warm and they will multiply (lots and lots and maybe even lots more).

Oh and one more thing, do not let them escape. Make sure you have a climb proof barrier. Good luck!

Thanks

Thanks! I used Olive Oil around the sides of the tank to prevent escaping. I have a small wattage ceramic heat emitter to keep them warm. Should I use a light instead?

As for food, I put down some dry low calcium kitten chow, bananas, and cucumber.

There are about 20 in the tank, so hopefully I can triple that in a couple of months perhaps.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Dish them and get lateralis if you want a fast breeder. Lobsters climb and using stuff to keep them in will get messy. I really hate climbing roaches!

Thanks

I started off with 100 Lobster Roaches around 5 months ago, don't know how many I have now but it's gotta be at least 5-6 times that. Heat 'em and feed 'em and that's about it. I use Flexwatt on the bottom to heat them, I keep it at around 95 degrees F. I feed them a high protein dog food and some sort of fruit or vegetable, mine favor potatoes and bananas. I use vaseline as a climbing barrier and a locking lid with ventilation cut in it in case any get past the vaseline, and haven't had any issues with escapes. Tub stays at 60-70% humidity and I mist them pretty frequently.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_Ray For This Useful Post:

SubNoiZe (09-09-2009)

Thanks

for some odd reason, i had about 5-6 of them to die yesterday. it's looking that i will just go ahead and feed the rest of the roaches to my bearded dragon and leopard gecko.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Where in NC do you live? I can give you a smaller starter colony of the lateralis if you live close to me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clear For This Useful Post:

SubNoiZe (09-09-2009)

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Lobsters are evil, and they will escape, breed in your house, and join you in the shower.
    Run away fast. <lol>
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

I just release about 100 small lobster roaches (or more!) into a 10 gallon tank to start my own colony, too. I came here hoping to vent and feel better about my roach phobia (I have hissers and have gotten over it with them.). But none of you are helping! Does anyone know someone who had them escape and take over their house?

The ones not willing to come out of the gross container they were in with the lettuce, etc. are in the freezer now. I won't let them out alive. The spoiled food and toilet paper roll I threw out went into a plastic bag that I then bagged three more times and put in the freezer, too.

I am wondering if I made a mistake. Can't someone help me feel better?

Also, as to the ones that died, subnoize, they may be shed exoskeletons. Don't give up yet. And if you put them as live feeders in your beardies, make sure the no escape barrier is in their tank, too!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Ray View Post
    I started off with 100 Lobster Roaches around 5 months ago, don't know how many I have now but it's gotta be at least 5-6 times that. Heat 'em and feed 'em and that's about it. I use Flexwatt on the bottom to heat them, I keep it at around 95 degrees F. I feed them a high protein dog food and some sort of fruit or vegetable, mine favor potatoes and bananas. I use vaseline as a climbing barrier and a locking lid with ventilation cut in it in case any get past the vaseline, and haven't had any issues with escapes. Tub stays at 60-70% humidity and I mist them pretty frequently.
    My setup is basically the same. Never had any escapees...knock on wood.

These guys breed so fast its insane. I think I need to get more beardies to keep my colony manageable.

I forgot how many I started with - it wasn't very many and it wasn't very long ago either, but now I have soooo many there's no way to count them. I'm guessing thousands. Lots & lots of roaches.