Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 726

2 members and 724 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Time to start breeding my own?

After acquiring 4 new snakes this week, I am now up to 7 Ball Pythons in total... I went to get their feeders today, and it was ridiculous! I had to get EIGHT adult mice, two hoppers, and a rat weanling - for a grand total of around $20. My female snakes are picky, as one will only eat mice, and the other won't take F/T or pre-killed anything. So basically I'm stuck with weekly pet store visits, and spending $20/week on the prey. Methinks it might be time to start breeding my own?

I don't want more than one cage/tank, so I'm thinking of just getting one male & one or two female mice. I'm wanting to stick with mice for a few reasons - smaller, less smelly, less adorable & sweet (I feel a little guilty feeding them ) IMO, and mostly because one snake is a mouser only. How do you recommend I get started, and will it be worth the trouble? Also, where should I get my breeder mice? I've had rodents in the past (guinea pigs & hamsters), but have never owned mice... this lady at the pet store was saying they're easy, so was she right? TIA for any advice!
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Re: Time to start breeding my own?

Mice stink I dont know how you figure theyre less smelly lol. I breed ASFs for mine because they are very low odor. If breeding mice is anything like ASFs, its easy...put em together...feeed and water...wean and feed.

Edit...forgot to add..
    To start:
    I picked up a 1.2 colony, and gave them their basic necessities for a happy healthy life. I waited 1.5 months and got my first litter. Dont really know what else to say...
    ]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pavlovk1025 For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (09-07-2009)

Thanks

Unfortunately, ASFs are illegal here in California - why, I have no idea!? So I'm stuck with either mice or rats, and figured mice will be easier... and yeah, I know rats stink too.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

Btw, what are their needs in terms of temperature? I really don't want to keep them in my room (mostly for their safety b/c of my cats), and was thinking about the garage instead... it's pretty mild here year-round, so maybe with a small heat lamp they could be happy in there?
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

I have no idea. My ASFs live and thrive in 70+. Id think mice do just as well in equal temps.
    Heres a handy link for ya...
    http://www.reptileallsorts.com/mouse-cs.htm

and this too
    http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-Mice
    ]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pavlovk1025 For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (09-07-2009)

Thanks

mice like it much colder than asfs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nixer For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (09-07-2009)

Thanks

I went to Petco and bought my breeder mice today... the guy gave me a hard time, though, when I asked for a male & female. He said "we're not supposed to sell them for breeding - or as feeders" (despite the fact that I've bought feeders there before ). So I replied "Oh, I meant to say they're pets, and I have another cage at home." He rolled his eyes and got them for me, LOL. They're set up in a little cage now, with a water bottle, food, a chew toy, wheel, a sleeping (strawberry) hut, and a toilet paper roll. Now we'll see if they decide to do the bom-chicka-wow-wow...
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    Unfortunately, ASFs are illegal here in California - why, I have no idea!? So I'm stuck with either mice or rats, and figured mice will be easier... and yeah, I know rats stink too.
    Because everything is illegal in california, including piranhas and freshwater rays. I know, it sucks.

"I went to Petco and bought my breeder mice today... The guy gave me a hard time, though, when I asked for a male & female. He said "we're not supposed to sell them for breeding - or as feeders" (despite the fact that I've bought feeders there before ). So I replied "Oh, I meant to say they're pets, and I have another cage at home." He rolled his eyes and got them for me, LOL. They're set up in a little cage now, with a water bottle, food, a chew toy, wheel, a sleeping (strawberry) hut, and a toilet paper roll. Now we'll see if they decide to do the bom-chicka-wow-wow..."

^ Yeah, I hate how petco's policy is like that. Anyway I'm glad you managed to buy them, and good luck with breeding them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by omnibus2 View Post
    bom-chicka-wow-wow..."

Thanks

Good luck. FYI: It could take 2 months before you get your first litter. Depends how old they are.
    I started with one colony now a year later I've got four.
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast