Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

1 members and 2,828 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Feeder Frogs/Toads

To add some variety to the diet of a few of my pets, I would like to begin testing the waters with other whole prey animals. Currently I am trying to build up a mouse colony. (I have one breeding group, and I'm about to add two more) and will soon be breeding rats in small numbers. Eventually I will have all of these as a part of their weekly/monthly diet.

Mice
    Rats
    Gerbils
    Hamsters
    ASFs
    Chickens
    Button Quail
    Frogs/Toads
    Lizards

So I'm trying to figure out what kind of frog would make a good feeder and how I would house and breed said frogs. I've seen these firebelly toads at pet stores. How hard are these to keep or breed? Or is there a better kind of frog or toad?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Feeder Frogs/Toads

im thinking toads are probally not a good idea alot of them are toxic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    To add some variety to the diet of a few of my pets, I would like to begin testing the waters with other whole prey animals. Currently I am trying to build up a mouse colony. (I have one breeding group, and I'm about to add two more) and will soon be breeding rats in small numbers. Eventually I will have all of these as a part of their weekly/monthly diet.

Mice
    Rats
    Gerbils
    Hamsters
    ASFs
    Chickens
    Button Quail
    Frogs/Toads
    Lizards

So I'm trying to figure out what kind of frog would make a good feeder and how I would house and breed said frogs. I've seen these firebelly toads at pet stores. How hard are these to keep or breed? Or is there a better kind of frog or toad?
    Um... I know anoles are used for feeder lizards.... But not too sure about the frogs... I guess green tree frogs would be ideal... I dont think they produce any toxins though the skin....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Mice
    Rats
    Gerbils
    Hamsters
    ASFs
    Chickens
    Button Quail
    Frogs/Toads
    Lizards

Firebellies are not the best idea - they are indeed mildly toxic.

In the past, I have used both anoles and green tree frogs as feeders. Ken the Bug Guy sells both (prekilled). Mark Lucas sells them live.

Many moons ago I tried my hand at feeding green tree frogs and it was a royal pain in the arse. That doesn't mean it can't be done, I'm just not cut out to be a frog pimp.

As far as the inclusion of reptiles into your snake's diet -can I ask an honest question - why? While there are some snakes that may prefer a frog or reptile based diet, most don't really need it.

I've hear about how western hognoses supposedly live much shortened lives due to their fatty rodent diet in captivity, however my first snake was a western hognose that lived until the ripe old age of almost 18 years on a cholesterol-laden diet of rodents.

I've never had an issue getting WC reptile eaters onto rodents. I have, however, had issues with feeder reptiles passing on parasites to some of my animals.

With some of my drys and other large colubrids, I'll mix in some fish, some quail and some chicken parts (even beef heart on a rare occasion).

Thanks

These feeders are not for snakes. They are actually for ferrets. I didn't mention they were ferrets because the last time I did I got a bunch of negative responses. So please note that I have done my research and my ferrets are doing great on this diet. The vet approves and my ferrets couldn't be happier. So please do not try and convince me to feed my ferrets kibble.

Ok, so fire belly toads are out. Frogs and toads don't have to be a part of their diet, and it sounds like it would be more trouble than its worth. Are anoles easily bred? I could easily set them up in a tank, but I haven't kept anoles in ages and I admit, I have even forgotten what kind of insect they eat and their temp/humidity requirements.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

These feeders are not for snakes. They are actually for ferrets. I didn't mention they were ferrets because the last time I did I got a bunch of negative responses. So please note that I have done my research and my ferrets are doing great on this diet. The vet approves and my ferrets couldn't be happier. So please do not try and convince me to feed my ferrets kibble.

Ok, so fire belly toads are out. Frogs and toads don't have to be a part of their diet, and it sounds like it would be more trouble than its worth. Are anoles easily bred? I could easily set them up in a tank, but I haven't kept anoles in ages and I admit, I have even forgotten what kind of insect they eat and their temp/humidity requirements.
    Anoles are not as easily bred or as prolific as rodents. They will readily mate and lay eggs, but the babies are relatively hard to raise.

Each female can lay up to a dozen eggs and the babies require a lot of personal care. In a standard 29 or 30 gallon tank that means that you have only two maybe three females producing eggs.

As for all of the temp., humidity and diet stuff, that's easily found on the web.

Thanks

Instead of breeding them, why dont you buy them in bulk and freeze them? LLL reptile is the only place i can find that sells them in larger quantities as feeders.... http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...kos-or-anoles/

Thanks

I like knowing where my animals' food comes from. I like knowing it was humanely raised and killed with little to no pain. Breeding feeder animals myself lets me know where the food comes from, what it ate, how it was treated and how it was killed.

Technically I don't have to give them any kind of reptile as a food item, but wild ferrets live off of mostly small rodents and a small percentage of reptiles. I thought, what the heck.

Are there any other kinds of lizards that are easier to breed? (no leos or bearded dragons though. I keep those kinds of lizards as pets!)
    Under Construction.....