Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,828

0 members and 2,828 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Question Can you carry around a reptile you purchased and still enjoy the show?

I was wondering if you were allowed to carry around a bag or container that contains the reptile, amphibian, etc. that you purchased at the expo? I'm wondering this because if I do happen to purchase a snake and still want to see more of the expo and look at booths that I haven't seen yet. The last time I was at an expo I looked around for a few hours then finally decided to purchase a snake and right after I did I left the expo. Plus, do most vendors only take credit/debit cards or will they happily accept both cash and the card or only cash? I will most likely only have cash since I do not own a credit/debit card lol.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Re: Can you carry around a reptile you purchased and still enjoy the show?

1 - Most expos only prohibit OUTside reptiles. If you bought it at the show, it's ok. I've bought snakes and shown them to every friend I had there.

2 - More and more vendors are accepting cards these days, but be prepared to have to visit an ATM if need be. Everyone accepts cash.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (08-25-2009)

Thanks

I know at the tinley show just outside Chicago most take plastic

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Haydenphoto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    1 - Most expos only prohibit OUTside reptiles. If you bought it at the show, it's ok. I've bought snakes and shown them to every friend I had there.

2 - More and more vendors are accepting cards these days, but be prepared to have to visit an ATM if need be. Everyone accepts cash.
    Thanks so much! I would definitely love to walk around the show and look at the reptiles maybe a few... 8.. times or so :]. Last time I went to the expo, I was just amazed. I couldn't even really speak I was so amazed. I went around the expo so many times, and I was there for a good 3 hours before getting my boa. I love the expos, they are just so amazing. I wasn't even stopping to look at the BPs or anything I just was walking around in amazement lol. They had this extremely tame Retic there that just sat there and even let you pet it's head. I heard the man who owned it has handled it each day ever since it was a baby. The Retic wasn't even hyper or even moving at all which was so surprising, and the cage was open too and it just sat there. I heard this year's expo will be a lot nicer and bigger, so I would be so stoked to be there. Thanks again for your answer!

Also, I can see why they would exclude bringing your reptiles or amphibians from your home just in case if the animal had a disease or parasites. That's totally understandable though. If I was a vendor I definitely wouldn't want someone bringing their sick mite-infested snake over by my booth lol.
    Last edited by CoolioTiffany; 08-25-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

If there is an animal I like and I do not want to risk getting it, I will buy it ASAP, or pay and have/ask them to hold it for pick up when I am leaving.

I try not to take the animals around, just to minimize the health risks... I am anal like that.

At least this way if I pick it up and disinfect myself at the end of the show, I know it has only been at one booth (unless it was traded at the start of the show -but I always ask).

bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Whitehead For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Whitehead View Post
    If there is an animal I like and I do not want to risk getting it, I will buy it ASAP, or pay and have/ask them to hold it for pick up when I am leaving.

I try not to take the animals around, just to minimize the health risks... I am anal like that.

At least this way if I pick it up and disinfect myself at the end of the show, I know it has only been at one booth (unless it was traded at the start of the show -but I always ask).

bruce
    Hmm that seems like a great idea actually :]. I just may do that. And most likely if I did purchase a snake and walk around the entire show with it I bet it would most likely get pretty stressed because of being moved from it's enclosure all the way to the show and then being held in a bag or container (container would probably cause even more stress) while I'm walking around the show.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've done both. Made my purchase and walked around with it, and also made my purchase and asked the vendor to mark it as sold and hold it behind the table for me. Most vendors have no issues holding a sold animal behind their table for you until you are ready to go.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

My method is:
    1) Figure out how much I can afford to spend and take that much cash.

2) the first thing I do on day 1 is get any equipment I need.

3) If I decide to buy a snake then I spend a while looking at available snakes in the price range of what I have left and taking notes on the ones I'm interested in. Depending on the time I may go to lunch, or if its late I'll go to my hotel and review all my notes and narrow down the list. Then I go back and make my decision and purchase.

4)Advantages to using cash:
    a) it keeps you from spending more than you can afford to.

b) most of the time, it's easier to negotiate a lower price if they see the cash in hand, especially towards the end of the last day.

c) I learned this one from buying at gunshows. If you pay cash, normally you won't pay sales tax. If you charge it then sales tax is paid.

d) refer to item a).

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post

Argentra answer your questions but, when I hit the expo's I make sure I always have cash and credit just because there are the odd vendors here and there that do not accept credit. Thats just a tip of mine I always use,

Daniel