Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,029

1 members and 3,028 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

future delaware reg possible changes

while talking to john on the phone over the weekend I decided to looking to the proposed changes to the delaware reptile regulations and the link below id what I got in response to my request on the info.

http://regulations.delaware.gov/regi...2007-01-09.htm

the proposed part was back in febuary and ther been no finail say yet. I asked for more info and a chance to make areply in a meeting..

outside the lost of the old breeder permit and the fact you have to renew the permit every 3 years ther no big changes. It does allow for a breeding/sellnig of the reptiles if you buy a business lic and a permit.

I waiting for more detail via emails and such I will post the email and replys if the form wants and future info ..

I figuer this be good to repost on here while I was making the post.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

Re: future delaware reg possible changes

I found this article that contains a very short list of exotic animals exempt from requiring a permit.

"Currently exempt animals include hamsters, iguanas, gerbils, mice, guinea pigs, bearded dragons, hedgehogs, Asian water dragons, basilisks, ferrets, tegu, chinchillas, geckos, chameleons, and sugar gliders."

I just found out about this. I am back and forth between Delaware and Vermont for school. Apparently this last proposal was made with only two days for the public to make comments or oppose it and those two days were on a weekend when state offices were most likely closed.

I don't mind having to pay $25 and letting some one know I have a ball but the fact that they can just decide to up and take your pet away and have it "disposed" scares me.

Edit: Looking through this section of the forum more there are obviously more pressing issues. I had no idea, I am new to the Reptile Nation. Ughh, how can they even be doing this?
    Last edited by hermeticcharm; 09-06-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks

I checked up with the Delaware DoA and found some interesting things. First of all the exotic pet law in Delaware that is already in effect (which I didn't know about until I came on here) has a few things in it that basically put me in a very awkward position. I was completely unaware of this until I found this post.

I currently live in Vermont for school but will be moving back to Delaware in the spring. I live in New Castle county. What the DoA told me today is that I should already have a permit. I asked how I could obtain one, I don't mind getting a permit, however to acquire a permit in New Castle county I need to own at least 1 acre of land on my property. I live in the city...

Also, an update on the regulation changes. When I talked to the DoA they told me that first: these new regulations will more than likely pass (like a definite thing but they can't say 100% until it happens). Also not a single snake, not a SINGLE snake is included in the exempt list, including ball pythons.

I am pretty pissed the pet shop didn't tell me about any of this when I got my BP. But now I am just freaking out because I now have to either house an illegal snake, go out and buy a new house with an acre of land, or get rid of my snake before I move back. Guess what? I will be taking the illegal route. Only option from my perspective.

One more detail: they told me there would be another posting of this law on September 15th, whether or not it would be open to public comment is unknown.

What should I do?!

Thanks

Well the first thing I would do is never say you're going to do an illegal thing on this forum. It's against the ToA I think. Going beyond that... I'm not sure what you could do. Honestly I think most ppl who just own reptiles as a single pet or like a few anoles for their kid is probably breaking a permit law and not even realizing it.
    2007 0.1 Jungle het Stripe Kahl Albino BCI
    2008 1.0 Kahl Albino het Stripe BCI
    2008 1.0 DH Kahl Sunglow BCI
    2008 0.1 Anery 66% het Kahl Albino BCI
    2008 0.1 Normal BCI
    2009 1.0 Salmon Pastel BCI

2008 0.1 Normal Ball Python

Thanks

heck PM me the number I nwill call and get some more details too, I have 23 snakes and being on disablity mean I can't pay 25 x 23 just to house snakes every 2-3 years. PLus I can't get a business lic being on disablity. The only good thing is being in sussex county I don't need the 1acre to house a snake.. Not that anyone can afford the extra grand an acre goes for anymore lol.. I had one the adopted out snake returned do to the 1 acre clause.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)