Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,453

1 members and 2,452 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks

Re: Ball python breed business?

Quote Originally Posted by Strtaylor View Post
    Hey all..
    I dont wanna take over this post but i wasnt sure where else to post it and because of this guys "great" business venture i figured i would throw my 2 cents in. Im a brand new ball python owner and probably researched for 5-6months about every thing from keeping to breeding to morphs everything and im no where close to breeding anything. Yes in a couple years after my lemon pastel ph axan. is ready i would love to breed her but only for my personal collection. My question is how does one go about selling the offspring/babies that you dont want to hold back. Locally i would say where i am at (Iowa City) it would be nearly impossible. Im not looking to become a big breeder or make any money at all. I just love ball pythons and am worried about having more snakes then i really want to keep at one time. Now ofcourse when this time comes (a ways from now) i will make sure i have room to house this many snakes. (2 adult balls and their offspring). Just kind of wondering how one goes about selling/giving away the others. Thanks very much all
    -Steven-
    There is a Reptile Breeders Expo in Omaha, NE in October and April that could be a place or at least you could get some ideas from people there who might be more local.

http://www.nebherp.org
    1.0 Pastel 66% VPI Het Axanthic (Ratchet)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow loads of info and loads of different ideas. If you have the desire to do this for a living I say go for it!! Understand there is a learning curve and there are loads of things that as a business person you'll want to understand.

From a business stand point you'll need to be able to separate (at first) the "Want of the owner" from the "good for business" decisions. i.e. while I may want and even be able to buy a male G-stripe that money is better spent on a freezer and 200+ F/T rats at this point. Its tough when the passion wants to over ride the business cause lets face it you can do this small time have loads of fun produce tons of animals and morphs and never be a "business". If your looking at being a business let the passion see you through the bites, poop, pee, hissing, strikes, oooo's and aaaa's but let the business be the wheels that keep it going. Cause you get 200+ snakes and make a few bad decisions and start having to sell animals off and the passion side of you will scream and keep you up at night.

the difference between a Hobbyist and a "Breeder" is.. a breeder looks at his bottom line to see if his passion can be supported by the business and not whether his passion is making a bottom line.

I want an Ultra-Mel with all my soul. I will have one... I could write the check today..but it would mean rats would not get fed for months, which in turn means snakes don't get fed, which means, shirts wouldn't get printed, adds don't get bought, shows get skipped the list goes on and on...

Remember this passion starts the business in the beginning.Sound business decisions keep it going.and Passion is still there
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

DestinyLynette (06-13-2013),T&C Exotics (09-03-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    Wow loads of info and loads of different ideas. If you have the desire to do this for a living I say go for it!! Understand there is a learning curve and there are loads of things that as a business person you'll want to understand.

From a business stand point you'll need to be able to separate (at first) the "Want of the owner" from the "good for business" decisions. i.e. while I may want and even be able to buy a male G-stripe that money is better spent on a freezer and 200+ F/T rats at this point. Its tough when the passion wants to over ride the business cause lets face it you can do this small time have loads of fun produce tons of animals and morphs and never be a "business". If your looking at being a business let the passion see you through the bites, poop, pee, hissing, strikes, oooo's and aaaa's but let the business be the wheels that keep it going. Cause you get 200+ snakes and make a few bad decisions and start having to sell animals off and the passion side of you will scream and keep you up at night.

the difference between a Hobbyist and a "Breeder" is.. a breeder looks at his bottom line to see if his passion can be supported by the business and not whether his passion is making a bottom line.

I want an Ultra-Mel with all my soul. I will have one... I could write the check today..but it would mean rats would not get fed for months, which in turn means snakes don't get fed, which means, shirts wouldn't get printed, adds don't get bought, shows get skipped the list goes on and on...

Remember this passion starts the business in the beginning.Sound business decisions keep it going.and Passion is still there
    Now that is sound advice with experience!
    1.0 Pastel 66% VPI Het Axanthic (Ratchet)

Thanks

snake shop

I was thinking about starting one. I already don't care about income or anything ill have another income but thus would be more of a passion to see what different genes can produce and what new morphs or same morphs but sharper looking I can create. I can sell what I can and keep what I want. My family is into genes and science lol scientists. So I know it will take time lots of money but I'm doing it out of passion and fun. Feeding cleaning water humidity heat I love taking care if the snakes.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: snake shop

Quote Originally Posted by strykerX View Post
    I was thinking about starting one. I already don't care about income or anything ill have another income but thus would be more of a passion to see what different genes can produce and what new morphs or same morphs but sharper looking I can create. I can sell what I can and keep what I want. My family is into genes and science lol scientists. So I know it will take time lots of money but I'm doing it out of passion and fun. Feeding cleaning water humidity heat I love taking care if the snakes.

4 years old thread
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-20-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345