Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

0 members and 2,805 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python breed business?

hi,

well i wanna know what do i need to start a ball python breed business, i have been reading and watching some videos but i wanna know your opinion... i wanto to start like a hobbie so im not asking for 50 snake from the start, i need racks? where i can find it? how much money do i need?.... and this a good or bad business...?
    Last edited by empty.; 08-23-2009 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks

Re: Ball python breed business?

Quote Originally Posted by empty. View Post
    hi,

well i wanna know what do i need to start a ball python breed business, i have been reading and watching some videos but i wanna know your opinion... i wanto to start like a hobbie so im not asking for 50 snake from the start, i need racks? where i can find it? how much money do i need?.... and this a good or bad business...?
    No it's not a good business- it's a passion, an obsession & if you get bit by the BP bug you are happy if you break even... ecstatic if you can buy another "must have" morph. This is not about "bottom lines & profit margins" this is about making Living Art that has a 20+ year life-span.

Beware, you may dream of being the 1ST to create something truly unique & beautiful, but if you want ot make a profit- don't quit your day-job just yet.
    All the Best,
    Deb @ www.NorthernRegius.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRegius For This Useful Post:

SnakeGriffin (08-15-2013)

Thanks

ok i know is a passion and i really love my snake and when i see all the videos of breeders i get more exited about this.... but at the end it is a business, but i just wanna get some help to get start it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

So do you want to start an actual business and make a profit? If so you are looking at many many years of work before you can start even breeding enough animals to break even. Its a big commitment to start a breeding program. Don't do it unless you have the time and space to take care of a lot of baby snakes.

You will need thousands of dollars to purchase the snake morphs, and then another grand or two to purchase (or build) housing for those animals.

To me it sounds like you are not ready to drop this kind of money.

My advice? Start it out as a hobby. Get a couple morphs you really love and start with a clutch or two every season.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

ok i know is a passion and i really love my snake and when i see all the videos of breeders i get more exited about this.... but at the end it is a business, but i just wanna get some help to get start it
    Not to be negative- quite the opposite, but I could ramble on about something I enjoy... and you could get caught up in MY excitement. That would NOT be fair to you- truth is it takes time & it takes love of the animals to get you though the tough times. Snakes are SLOW, you may want to work over-time at your current job so you can buy that dream snake... I've been at it nearly a decade & I am just now seeing some dreams come true.

Good tracking software, feeder sources, a budget that you stick to- they keep you going and it's not hard to cover the cost of keeping your snakes if you invest time & get a buyer for your babies.

You'll need to invest your time- to help others, to make a good reputation for yourself. But it's all good because it keeps you in the community & it teaches you as you help others. What I'm saying is that this takes work- more than showing up & working for someone else that decides on the success or failure of their business- this will be a thing that depends on you to succeed. It's a shift in thinking for most, but yes- if you really want this it is worth it.

There is not a one-size approach to this, much depends on you- how much are you willing to spend, how many hours? Will you have help? It may take time for you to even be able to answer these things. I knew I want this to be FUN & all my permanent snakes have names & get play-time with me, so bigger is not my goal, but quality IS.

So what are your goals? Your budget, are you patient? If you can see it you CAN do it.
    All the Best,
    Deb @ www.NorthernRegius.com

Thanks

ok, i want to start like a hobbie first i know i cant buy 10 or 20 snakes... even a morph one... but i want to try to start like a hobbie, having 2 pairs or maybe just 1 pair from the start and learn about it, i know it takes time, and i know you have to be patient, that why im asking for advices, but in a future i want to have more and more snake, so right know im asking for ... what do i need to start? let say has a hobbie... having 2 female and 2 male ball pythons

Thanks

I think it really takes time to make any money. If you are wanting to do it as a hobby you are not going to make any money to start. I just started this hobby a year ago havn't even breed any of my snake yet. Im allready 1500 in the hole. I just hope when i do breed a couple of my snakes this year I make enough money to buy a new morph. You got to think about all the start up cost like racks that isn't cheap, food thermostats bedding, dont forget snakes that take a couple of years to mature. I think you can make a profit but it will take time to build your collection before you see any profit from it.
    0.1amel,corn, 1.0 spider,0.2normal,0.1lemon,1.1 het albino,1.0 mojave,0.1redtail
    http://www.cuckooreptiles.com/

Thanks

so right know im asking for ... what do i need to start? let say has a hobbie... having 2 female and 2 male ball pythons
    How much do you have right NOW to spend - on both the snakes and enclosures? If you want to start with something inexpensive, try getting 2 male morphs and two nice normal females (adults if you want to start next year). Deciding which morphs to get depends on your budget, but the least expensive are probably pastels... followed by Mojave, spider, cinnamon, yellowbelly, and a few others that will run around $200-400. But like the others have said, this hobby takes patience, and you can't expect a profit for quite a while (if ever).
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by henry View Post
    I think it really takes time to make any money. If you are wanting to do it as a hobby you are not going to make any money to start. I just started this hobby a year ago havn't even breed any of my snake yet. Im allready 1500 in the hole.
    Yeah, I'm getting close to that number... just did some calculations, and I've spent over $700 on the snakes alone, and probably $500-700 on the enclosures & accessories (including the rack I just purchased). I think I've chosen my snakes well, though, and hope to break even in the next year or two.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

hi,

If you have no ball pythons to begin with then you shouldn't be looking to start any business... Those are the people who fail at what they are looking to succeed in... People who will succeed in the reptile "Business", are the ones who originally started keeping these animals as pets and had an ENORMOUS love for them, and then as years past they decided to start breeding, and start small business, which sometimes eventually grew into huge businesses. Look at people like Brian at BHB or Kevin at NERD. They originally had reptiles as their pets, and had a deep passion/obsession for them (They Still Do), and then it eventually led to a business..

Also, you "want to start like a hobby"?? What the heck does that mean? You start the hobby of keeping reptiles by having the extreme passion and obsession for them... You shouldn't have to ask that...

Take it slow dude, if you don't have the passion, this isn't for you..
    ~Brandon

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast