Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 776

5 members and 771 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Doing it For Money

I've been seeing this on more than one forum, and I'm not sure where it came from, but it seems that a number of people believe that there's something wrong with breeding herps 'for money', rather than just as a hobby.

I think there's a misconception that people who are out to make money will not put the animals' welfare first. The reality is that people who are out to make money (and I number myself among them) baby their animals shamelessly, because those animals are responsible for making all that money. The slightest sniffle or funny spot gets vet attention immediately, everyone's kept in clean conditions and fed healthy food, and everyone gets weighed and inspected regularly. The income from the animals pays for the best of care for them--and you provide it, for all the RIGHT reasons:
    Because it's the right thing to do.
    Because they're the source of your income.
    Because you have a reputation to uphold and you may be an example to others.

Any others come across this attitude? Any ideas on how to address it?
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Re: Doing it For Money

we have four snakes 2 are non breeding pets

the other was a 07 normal female i bought to breed to my co-owned pastel. she gets handled every other day and is cared for very highly.

Because we dont have alot of money we got a mojave girl to be able to breed some bels.

Are we only looking for money? no we are buying her as a baby as a pet becasue we wanted another little baby ball. In two years though when we breed her we will reap the benifits of all our care and love.

We care for our babies and hey help us out.

I would love to have sevral snakes as i get older (HA! I am 21) but i want to pace it so that i can be keeping my snakes as they get older.

1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Hurricane Hypo
    0.1 %66 PH hypo
    Hedgehogs:Bailey, Shinzi, Nebula, Shuffle & Thor
    African grey - Jayden

Registered User grim reaper in NY's Avatar
    Thanks

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I see a few local breeders who are in it for money. There is one guy who has so many snakes it's impossible for him to keep track of them. From pythons to boas to kings and corns, he breeds everything. Unfortunately, his house is a disaster and he can't keep up with the husbandry of his snakes.
    Now, to me, that's overkill and there is no way I would even consider purchasing a baby snake from this guy. Unfortunately, he sells alot of his babies to local pet stores and they, in turn, resell them to Joe Shmoe for x amount of dollars. In the end, these snakes find their ways into the homes of herp enthusiasts who are under the impression they are getting a decent, healthy pet when in all actuality, the pets they bring home most likely have never gotten the care they needed from the start.
    I don't see anything wrong with breeding for profit, but I do have a problem with people getting over their heads and taking on too many breeding projects at once.
    Later,

Bri

0.1 - Pastel Ball Python
    2.0 - Normal Ball Pythons

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Well on the flip side.. there's also hobbybreeders that lose interest and then neglect the snakes, becuase they've taken interest in mountain biking or raisen art. The snakes's enclosures don't get cleaned, they might skip a few meals.. but who cares? They're not anything but a hobby.

It's more the person, rather than the label. I've seen people yell "I'm only in it for the love of the animal" but do nothing but whine about prices being lower this year. Then there's other that yell with delight at the clutch being hatched of pastels and normals, from their long time pet Bertie.

Same way for big breeders. Some breed tons without really caring much, while others genuinely CARE for every animal, and are still thrilled when that poss het eats his first meal.

You can't slap a label on someone and declare the entire group under that label to be "thus" and "that way". It's all individuals.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

we are stocked for our girlie to hatch out her normals and pastels

1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Hurricane Hypo
    0.1 %66 PH hypo
    Hedgehogs:Bailey, Shinzi, Nebula, Shuffle & Thor
    African grey - Jayden

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do not think there is an attitude about people wanting to make this for a living, I believe people have issues with people who own 1 or 2 snakes for a few months and all of the sudden want to do this to make money when they barely even grasp basic husbandry concept, they usually have no idea of the work and commitment involved (even if just as a hobby) and they think they will make a profit right away.

Some people who are new to the scene think breeding is a way to make a quick buck and let the truth be told it is not, making a profit will take time most people are even lucky if they break even, there is a lot of work involved and unless one is truly passionate and has a solid business plan, making a living breeding snakes will not likely happen hence why so many people over the years have came and went.
    Deborah Stewart