Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,784

2 members and 2,782 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

The Shedding Process

Printable View

• 06-21-2016, 12:35 AM
    Nestle
    Shedding
    I love how you provided information:). My baby ball did very well. Her first shed with me. Know she's up and about. Does this mean she's finished?
  • 09-14-2016, 05:41 PM
    Kpnjr23
    Re: The Shedding Process
    My normal ball python just has a blue tint is this a sign of shed
  • 09-14-2016, 07:26 PM
    daniel1983
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpnjr23 View Post
    My normal ball python just has a blue tint is this a sign of shed

Yes.
  • 10-02-2016, 01:22 AM
    bogie
    I was told mine would shed every 4-6months but has shed already 4 times in the 9 months I have had him. I think it is male because of the shape and size. I noticed his skin has a slight blue iridescense to it today under the basking light. I do not usually see that but noticed it today. He is about 2 weeks out of his last shed. Is this normal?
  • 10-02-2016, 07:03 AM
    dr del
    Yeah they look all pretty after the shed <3

http://ball-pythons.net/gallery/file...Headshrunk.JPG
  • 10-06-2016, 10:53 AM
    shadow reaper
    New BP owner and my one year old is about to go into shed. He's only been in the house for a couple weeks, but he's on a good Monday feeding schedule. I handled him last night (two days after feeding) and noticed his color was muted and his eyes were blue. I kept handling to a minimum and put him back.

So my question is, is there no handling or feeding until he sheds? Or is the no handling/feeding just for the day or two he's in blue?
  • 10-06-2016, 12:33 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow reaper View Post
    New BP owner and my one year old is about to go into shed. He's only been in the house for a couple weeks, but he's on a good Monday feeding schedule. I handled him last night (two days after feeding) and noticed his color was muted and his eyes were blue. I kept handling to a minimum and put him back.

So my question is, is there no handling or feeding until he sheds? Or is the no handling/feeding just for the day or two he's in blue?

Well for my part I'd say certainly no handling until he's back to normal and active again . As regards feeding them - some snakes DO eat when in shed but none of my Royals are ever remotely interested although my Boas and Kings will generally eat ANYTIME :)

The other thing to watch is when he's "looking" normal again he will may not have actually shed his skin as it usually comes off a day or so after they get the normal colouration back .
  • 12-07-2016, 04:48 PM
    Buddyball
    This was very helpful, thanks!
  • 12-08-2016, 10:08 AM
    Merriah
    You are awesome! More tips?
    Thanks so much for this article! I have owned 5 snakes, and i currently have two. The first three have been adopted to kids who are in the hospital or disabled and they are allergic to traditional therapy animals. Every one of them has shed differently. I do notice that they struggle more in the winter here in Minnesota. I have a humidifier, I spray their cages when they sleep, and I put them in a swimming bin and coat them with mineral oil. Any other tips?
  • 12-22-2016, 07:53 AM
    BR8080
    Thanks for writing this very informative and well written article Daniel.

I'm new to BP ownership and have kept a close eye on my snakes hue and eyes and think she's maybe going to shed.

Her eyes seemed cloudy (to my novice eye anyway, hers are so small right now it's difficult to tell without shining a light in her face and I'm not that inconsiderate) when I took her out yesterday and she actually struck at me, something she's NEVER done (in the short 3 weeks I've had her anyway). Her colors seemed a bit dull but like I said I'm so new to ownership I don't know for certain.

I'll bump her RH somewhere between 60-80% but I'm concerned if she isn't going into shed will the increased RH cause a RI?

Thanks again for the incredible write up and pictures.