Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,519

0 members and 1,519 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

SD Retic

Printable View

• 02-25-2019, 09:13 PM
    svtvenom
    SD Retic
    Hi, I was wondering if dwarf retics usually like sit on your lap and will sit with you or are they constantly on the move. My boa would sit for a long time with me. I know they won’t be like a boa but do they never sit still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-25-2019, 10:03 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    Retics are pretty much going to be on the move. I would not consider them a 'lap snake' like a boa. Usually when I have a retic out, they want to move around and check stuff out and go exploring. I've had some of my boas fall alseep while being held before. Different for sure!
  • 02-25-2019, 10:20 PM
    Snakeboyaz
    Re: SD Retic
    No experience with Dwarf or super dwarf but my 2 mainlands don't stop for anything. They do seem to slow down a little after 5-10 minutes. They are not a relaxing snake to work with they sure are fun.
  • 02-25-2019, 10:22 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Retics are pretty much going to be on the move. I would not consider them a 'lap snake' like a boa. Usually when I have a retic out, they want to move around and check stuff out and go exploring. I've had some of my boas fall alseep while being held before. Different for sure!

Yeah, I agree from my experience with Boas and what I know of retics.

I have zero interest in retics because of how active they are and how big they get. Not the combo I want. My corn snakes give me a workout at 4FT and thin.

Both my boas have fallen asleep on me and often. If I had a dollar for everyone my Ghost BCI Female, Behira, fell asleep on my lap, I could pay for her tank!
  • 02-25-2019, 10:24 PM
    svtvenom
    Ugh that sucks. I always have loved the way they look but I want something that could hang out with me like my boa.

• 02-25-2019, 11:25 PM
    bcr229
    I have an SD retic. He is MORE active than my mainland retics and much more of a jerk. Definitely not a lap snake. My 50% SD females are much more chill and even they won't sit still.

If you want a large lap snake look at a Dumerils boa.
  • 02-25-2019, 11:36 PM
    Gio
    Boa constrictors are great, carpet pythons can be great as well as far as chilling out. I usually will bring out a chair or put one bar stool on top of another seat to seat and let the snake climb around next to me while I sit.

My SD X Dwarf retic is somewhat annoying to handle and deal with. I have had him sit in my lap, but I had him wrapped him in a blanket and just had his head peaking out.

I usually touch him from time to time while I have him out to make sure he still knows we are interacting.

He's a great display snake and is fun to watch in the cage. I'd consider him a little large for something that only has 18% mainland in it's genetics but I can still handle him solo. He's between 8 and 10 feet from what I can tell.
  • 02-25-2019, 11:40 PM
    Treeman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    Ugh that sucks. I always have loved the way they look but I want something that could hang out with me like my boa.

If you're looking for something big and impressive but not as active, I've heard burms are more "relaxed".
  • 02-26-2019, 01:36 AM
    CALM Pythons
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
    If you're looking for something big and impressive but not as active, I've heard burms are more "relaxed".

Way bigger than a SD Retic. Your talking about a 13-16 foot 150lb snake now hahaha

• 02-26-2019, 07:15 AM
    svtvenom
    Yeah I think it would be cool to see him actually move around the cage (unlike my boa) but I want something I can hold too. I can hold my boa for hours and he’s very docile but he’s always in his hides. I guess that would asking for a perfect world [emoji23]. Unfortunately, I don’t want a huge snake so I don’t want a Burmese. Thanks everyone, I think I’ll stick to boas unless I just want a display animal.