Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

2 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

New BP owner question

Printable View

• 02-11-2019, 09:53 AM
    ajones74
    New BP owner question
    I am getting my first ball python and I have questions. Do BP need a day/night schedule? The terrarium will be in a room where the light is off during the day. I was going to get a light and put it on a timer. Am I over thinking this? 🤔
  • 02-11-2019, 10:04 AM
    Jcd5v
    Re: New BP owner question
    I would say yes. About 12 hours on 12 hours off. You don’t need anything fancy. I found some old LEDs from a fish tank hood and used those. If not it would be like us never having night since these snakes are nocturnal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-11-2019, 10:22 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Are there windows in the room?
    Light from a window is usually plenty for a BP. They are secretive and nocturnal and will remain hidden for the majority of the daytime hours anyway.
  • 02-11-2019, 10:38 AM
    ajones74
    Thank you
  • 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM
    ajones74
    There is a window but it has blinds that usually stay closed. I’ve opened them but the terrarium still doesn’t have much light. It sits beside the window.
  • 02-11-2019, 10:48 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ajones74 View Post
    There is a window but it has blinds that usually stay closed. I’ve opened them but the terrarium still doesn’t have much light. It sits beside the window.

Ok. Honestly, I've been keeping snakes for many years and none of my enclosures have lights. The only time I kinda wish they did is when I'm doing a thorough deep clean of my enclosures. The lights are for us, not for the snakes.

Also, if it's too near a window I'd consider moving it. Windows can send tanks to dangerously high temps in warm weather months. Heat spikes can cause neurological problems or even be fatal for snakes
  • 02-11-2019, 11:06 AM
    ajones74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Ok. Honestly, I've been keeping snakes for many years and none of my enclosures have lights. The only time I kinda wish they did is when I'm doing a thorough deep clean of my enclosures. The lights are for us, not for the snakes.

Also, if it's too near a window I'd consider moving it. Windows can send tanks to dangerously high temps in warm weather months. Heat spikes can cause neurological problems or even be fatal for snakes

Makes sense. Thank you!
  • 02-11-2019, 11:41 AM
    SquirmyPug
    I like having a light on. Even though lots of people say it's not needed, it seems to help my BPs. I leave it on during the day and then around 6-8pm I turn the lights off. Usually a few minutes later the BPs notice and become active. When I wake up in the morning I turn the lights back on (5am). At that point they have already gone back into their hides and are ready to sleep through the day.

This seems to help me with feeding, it's rare that they don't eat for me. I feed at night while they are awake and active.
  • 02-11-2019, 12:18 PM
    ClarinetPhoenix
    From what I understand UVB exposure isn't necessary for a BP, but it is not a bad thing if you want to provide it.
    I do not use UVB lighting in my enclosures.(I did buy white LED lights for my incoming apcages but that is more for ease of viewing when its dark, not for the snakes) I am in the habit of opening my blinds in the morning when I get up, and closing them at night before bed. This seems allows enough natural light in for my snakes.