Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,751

4 members and 3,747 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
  • 02-09-2019, 12:38 PM
    MasonC2K
    So the UK Really Banned Spider Balls
    Correction to title: Should be IHS in the UK

https://youtu.be/118nJZo0084

This is sad. They should know better.
  • 02-09-2019, 12:57 PM
    Bogertophis
    Sorry but it really doesn't ruin my day (while I know it's a "slippery slope") and Brian really needs to drink a LOT LESS COFFEE. :taz: Just sayin'...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks it's lousy to breed animals with known neurological impairment.
  • 02-09-2019, 01:19 PM
    royalreilly
    Ehh... I mean he's spreading false info by making it sound like the UK itself has banned spider balls. Yeah he corrects it, but only in his pinned comment. Nowhere in the video or title did he feel the need to change what he said.

I personally stand more on the side of not supporting the breeding of spiders. I would never buy one to support breeders making more of them. I understand and respect people who want them to continue to be bred. But for the most part the only people I see getting really upset and defensive about it are breeders who get a lot of money from breeding spider morphs.

I don't think it's fair to the snakes to keep breeding them if they have a neurological defect. We have no honest way of telling how it really affects them, if they're suffering at all, etc. because we can't ask them. I don't think it's worth is for a pretty pattern when there's so many other morphs out there.

It's just my opinion though. I think they're very beautiful snakes and I wouldn't mind even owning one, as long as it was a re-home / a rescue and didn't support the breeding of more of them.

I think this video is a great example of how a wobble can actually affect the livelihood of a snake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HYaQjF74_I I know not all spiders have a wobble this bad, but this just breaks my heart to watch, and after seeing videos like this I simple don't want to support the breeding of spiders, because there's always a chance they'll end up like this.

And I think this video by Amazing Animal Adventures does a great job of explaining the wobble and the problems with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uflWWZhmoYM
  • 02-09-2019, 01:32 PM
    MarkL1561
    Re: So the UK Really Banned Spider Balls
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sorry but it really doesn't ruin my day (while I know it's a "slippery slope") and Brian really needs to drink a LOT LESS COFFEE. :taz: Just sayin'...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks it's lousy to breed animals with known neurological impairment.

Yeah but having politicians make a decision that greatly impacts the hobby and it’s economy based on ignorant opinion is not good policy. If you don’t agree with it fine, don’t tell others what they can think and do. I have a adult male bumblebee and I’ve never even noticed a wobble. These animals are perfectly healthy. What about English bulldogs? On average an owner spends around $5,000 a year on vet related bills. They have eye, skin, hip, and stomach issues. They also have issues with seizures as well. So should we ban bulldogs as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-09-2019, 01:47 PM
    gunkle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by royalreilly View Post
    Ehh... I mean he's spreading false info by making it sound like the UK itself has banned spider balls. Yeah he corrects it, but only in his pinned comment. Nowhere in the video or title did he feel the need to change what he said.

I personally stand more on the side of not supporting the breeding of spiders. I would never buy one to support breeders making more of them. I understand and respect people who want them to continue to be bred. But for the most part the only people I see getting really upset and defensive about it are breeders who get a lot of money from breeding spider morphs.

I don't think it's fair to the snakes to keep breeding them if they have a neurological defect. We have no honest way of telling how it really affects them, if they're suffering at all, etc. because we can't ask them. I don't think it's worth is for a pretty pattern when there's so many other morphs out there.

It's just my opinion though. I think they're very beautiful snakes and I wouldn't mind even owning one, as long as it was a re-home / a rescue and didn't support the breeding of more of them.

I think this video is a great example of how a wobble can actually affect the livelihood of a snake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HYaQjF74_I I know not all spiders have a wobble this bad, but this just breaks my heart to watch, and after seeing videos like this I simple don't want to support the breeding of spiders, because there's always a chance they'll end up like this.

And I think this video by Amazing Animal Adventures does a great job of explaining the wobble and the problems with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uflWWZhmoYM

Wow. Didn't know this was even a thing. Guess I need to look into it more before purchasing my snakes. Thanks for the links.
  • 02-09-2019, 02:50 PM
    RickyNY
    Wow, that video. My banana spider is not bad at all, he strikes with accuracy. He'll twist his neck in a weird way but only when he's roaming around and looking at the top of his enclosure, otherwise he never does it.
  • 02-09-2019, 03:14 PM
    Treeman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Yeah but having politicians make a decision that greatly impacts the hobby and it’s economy based on ignorant opinion is not good policy. If you don’t agree with it fine, don’t tell others what they can think and do. I have a adult male bumblebee and I’ve never even noticed a wobble. These animals are perfectly healthy. What about English bulldogs? On average an owner spends around $5,000 a year on vet related bills. They have eye, skin, hip, and stomach issues. They also have issues with seizures as well. So should we ban bulldogs as well?

However, I don't think its a politician's "ignorant opinion". As shown by the other posters above, even experienced keepers have reservations about keeping/breeding spiders. If a politician banned retics for example because they thought they were dangerous and scary, that would be an ignorant opinion. Me personally, I doubt I would keep a spider. They look beautiful, and a lot of them don't show any neurological defects, but I don't think I could live with owning one and seeing it do some of the things I've seen some spiders do in videos.
  • 02-09-2019, 03:23 PM
    Sunnieskys
    Brian doesn't drink coffee or drink FYI lol.

I agree with brian that it should be up to the breeders. Most spiders are totally ok and live fine. Would I breed them..no.
  • 02-09-2019, 03:43 PM
    Godzilla78
    So the UK Really Banned Spider Balls
    I personally will not breed, buy or support any known “defective” DNA. I ruled out the spider gene and some others completely from my collection.
    I’m sort of libertarian though, so I won’t go so far as to support a “ban.”

• 02-09-2019, 04:16 PM
    gunkle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I personally will not breed, buy or support any known “defective” DNA. I ruled out the spider gene and some others completely from my collection.
    I’m sort of libertarian though, so I won’t go so far as to support a “ban.”

Curious what other morphs have issue so I can look into it to make an informed decision before I buy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk