Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 659

3 members and 656 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
  • 11-16-2017, 01:01 PM
    enginee837
    Black-headed python progression thread
    Well we finally pulled the trigger and did it. After dreaming of this species ever since first seeing them in person at a La reptile show 20 years ago we finally manage to get a pair. The one in the picture is a 2016 female acquired from Derek Roddy. She is one of his hold backs from his yellow jacket line. About a week after, we managed to acquire a male from a friend of his that is also a 2016 yellow jacket line. He is unrelated but his parents originated from Derek Roddy's stock.
    I am going to make this a progression thread for both of them and any others we manage to add later on. We have plans to add more and breed them. Because of this we are being very selective of the specemins we choose as to only propagate the best bloodlines. For those who do not know bhp's take 4 to 5 years to reach sexual maturity (when raised responsibly) so this is going to be a long process but one we are very excited abbout. I will try to post as many post shed photos as possible. These guys tend to get brighter with every shed for the first fiew years.https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...71028_8974.jpg

Anyhow, thanks for looking.
  • 11-16-2017, 01:10 PM
    enginee837
    Here is a picture of the male. The lighting was not very good so it did not show off his yellows very well.https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...1116_28947.jpg
  • 11-16-2017, 01:14 PM
    tttaylorrr
    exciting things for you guys in the next couple years!!! i didn't know it takes so long for them to reach sexual maturity...fascinating! i, on the other hand, am an impatient one. :)

congrats on the new additions! they're truly stunning. :gj:
  • 11-16-2017, 01:29 PM
    Kara
    BHPs are such incredible animals, and yours are certainly trophies! Of course, it would be hard to go wrong with anything from Derek's stock. Looking forward to continued pics of these!! Glad to hear you're raising them up right. ;)
  • 11-16-2017, 02:26 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    Congrats! This is one of my favorite species of snakes, they are such impressive adults. Can't go wrong with Derek. Nice pick ups!
  • 11-16-2017, 03:23 PM
    John1982
    Awesome animals, congrats!
  • 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM
    madhatter18
    Re: Black-headed python progression thread
    Awesome looking snakes. I just found out about these species thanks to watching Brian's B. vlogs. It looks like they can get to be huge. I look forward to seeing them grow.
  • 11-16-2017, 03:37 PM
    enginee837
    Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter18 View Post
    Awesome looking snakes. I just found out about these species thanks to watching Brian's B. vlogs. It looks like they can get to be huge. I look forward to seeing them grow.

According to Derek, this is a product of power feeding and leads to a very early demise. Unfortunately due to the price tag these snakes demanded years ago many people spent a fortune on them then proceeded to power feed them (easy to do considering their feeding response is insane). Unfortunately their desire to eat comes from their natural low fat reptile diet in the wild. Power feeding them jumbo rats makes them grow fast and become sterile adults that reach lengths of 10 feet only to die of fatty liver disease.
    A healthy bhp that has been responsibly fed and grown should not typically exceed 7'. Depending on local you will occasionally get one larger but it is also not uncommon for them to top out at 5-6 feet (typical size of a woma).
  • 11-16-2017, 03:40 PM
    enginee837
    Oh by the way, they have yet to be named. Most of our collection has been named by my daughters (hence the Disney theme). Due to the significance to me, they have allowed me to name them. I am looking for suggestions.
  • 11-16-2017, 05:35 PM
    madhatter18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    According to Derek, this is a product of power feeding and leads to a very early demise. Unfortunately due to the price tag these snakes demanded years ago many people spent a fortune on them then proceeded to power feed them (easy to do considering their feeding response is insane). Unfortunately their desire to eat comes from their natural low fat reptile diet in the wild. Power feeding them jumbo rats makes them grow fast and become sterile adults that reach lengths of 10 feet only to die of fatty liver disease.
    A healthy bhp that has been responsibly fed and grown should not typically exceed 7'. Depending on local you will occasionally get one larger but it is also not uncommon for them to top out at 5-6 feet (typical size of a woma).

That's interesting. I'm glad you told me. The K. Brothers on youtube have a huge collection of snakes and BHP are one of them. They were huge when I saw them in a video. If not power feeding, do they stay somewhat thin? Maybe thin is not a good word but not thick like a Burmese python? (this sentence is a mess)

I think they would be fun to own. The only concern I have is their size compared to me. I'm 5'3 on a good day and I'm not sure if I could handle their adult size.

For names, are there any themes you like? Aragorn and Arwen come to mind for a couple name. Lol.