Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,250

1 members and 2,249 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Taking sneks outside?

Printable View

• 05-15-2018, 09:28 PM
    littlemaxbigworld
    Taking sneks outside?
    I keep seeing photos of people taking their noodles outside in the grass now that a lot of us are getting warmer weather! So I wanted to know what the basic rules and guidelines are for doing this. :) Obviously, make sure there's no sharp or dangerous things, keep an eye on your noodle, kind of like kids. But what else do I need to know!
  • 05-15-2018, 09:41 PM
    hilabeans
    Make sure you don't live in an area known for predatory birds. I have tons of falcons, hawks, crows and owls where I live - I'm not comfortable at all letting my snake out of my hands outside.
  • 05-15-2018, 09:42 PM
    redshepherd
    Make sure there are no pesticides wherever you put them!
  • 05-15-2018, 09:46 PM
    littlemaxbigworld
    Re: Taking sneks outside?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Make sure you don't live in an area known for predatory birds. I have tons of falcons, hawks, crows and owls where I live - I'm not comfortable at all letting my snake out of my hands outside.

Good call!! I live in Portland, Oregon. I don't *think* there's much out here? Not like in Cali where I used to live where those birdies are everywhere. I'll have to research. And out of paranoia I would stay very very close to her I'm sure. But I'm sure predatory birds are so fast and quiet I wouldn't even see it coming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote:

Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post

Okay! We have a very large backyard that we *at most* mow a few times when it's spring and we don't treat our yard with anything so I believe we're good. Good call!
  • 05-15-2018, 09:49 PM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post

Quote:

these are pretty much the two, right? i can't think of anything else except if you have a fast mover, like a colubrid, be careful!!!
  • 05-15-2018, 09:50 PM
    Alter-Echo
    Make sure there aren't any rodent holes in the lawn.... so many here I don't dare take a snake outside.
  • 05-15-2018, 10:09 PM
    hilabeans
    I had someone ask if my snake was more prone to sunburns because he's white. So make sure you have sunscreen and a floppy hat if yours is fair-scaled.

:rofl:
  • 05-15-2018, 10:10 PM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

i had someone ask if my snake was more prone to sunburns because he's white. So make sure you have sunscreen and a floppy hat if yours is fair-scaled.

:rofl:

omg yellow is albino is he ded
  • 05-15-2018, 10:29 PM
    littlemaxbigworld
    These are all such good things to remember thank you all!!
  • 05-15-2018, 10:33 PM
    bcr229
    We have predatory birds so I stay very close (practically straddling) the smaller snakes if they are on the lawn. OTOH I don't see an adult retic getting carried off by a hawk or owl.

Also bear in mind that if the snake is outside and you haven't touched it for a few minutes, it may forget that you're around. I take a hook out and if the snake has been in the grass exploring for a while, I touch it with the hook first as an unexpected touch can get treated as an attack, and they'll nip.