Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,253

3 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Dubia heating questions

Printable View

• 06-11-2016, 02:56 PM
    Pampho85
    Dubia heating questions
    I'm going to me raising some dubias for my ever growing T collection, but have some questions about heating first. I was thinking about getting Repti-therm heating mat and attaching that to a light dimmer (and have a thermometer to check the temps) and then control it that way, would that work? What's a good number to order? I was thinking about getting a bunch of little nymphs and then some juvies and some adults, as most of my Ts are under 2" (I have 27 of them).
  • 06-11-2016, 03:01 PM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Yes you could use the dimmer.
    I just keep my dubia in my wifes lizard room, ambient temp in there is around 80 degrees.
    I don't give any extra heat and they breed just fine. :gj:
  • 06-11-2016, 03:03 PM
    PitOnTheProwl
    How often are you feeding your tarantulas?
    I would get a couple months supply of nymphs, 2 or 3 adult males and 15 to 20 females.
    I started mines in two tubs: 1 to feed out of an the other was for the adults to get breeding.
  • 06-11-2016, 03:06 PM
    MarkS
    Re: Dubia heating questions
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pampho85 View Post
    I'm going to me raising some dubias for my ever growing T collection, but have some questions about heating first. I was thinking about getting Repti-therm heating mat and attaching that to a light dimmer (and have a thermometer to check the temps) and then control it that way, would that work? What's a good number to order? I was thinking about getting a bunch of little nymphs and then some juvies and some adults, as most of my Ts are under 2" (I have 27 of them).

I keep mine on top of my snake racks near the ceiling, it stays plenty warm up there. Remember that these grow slowly and it can take 6 months for them to reach sexual maturity so I'd start with more adults if you want to start producing more quickly.
  • 06-11-2016, 03:07 PM
    Pampho85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    How often are you feeding your tarantulas?
    I would get a couple months supply of nymphs, 2 or 3 adult males and 15 to 20 females.
    I started mines in two tubs: 1 to feed out of an the other was for the adults to get breeding.

Thanks for the reply!

I feed my smallest ones every day, other slings get fed every other, juvies+ once/twice a week.
  • 06-11-2016, 03:22 PM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Quote:

I feed my smallest ones every day, other slings get fed every other, juvies+ once/twice a week.

WoW....... Make me feel bad now. I feed all mine once or twice a week. :oops:
  • 06-11-2016, 03:26 PM
    Pampho85
    Quote:

Haha, no harm in that, the ones I feed everyday (if they do end up taking it) are around 0.5" and the ones every other day are less than 2". The rest are once/twice a week depending on how many feeders I have haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote:

Do you know of any cheap dubia sources that offer a starter pack that would fit the description of what I'm looking for?
  • 06-11-2016, 04:20 PM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Quote:

Do you know of any cheap dubia sources that offer a starter pack that would fit the description of what I'm looking for?

I don't. I found someone local off of Craigslist that was overloaded with them.