Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

2 members and 2,861 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
  • 06-13-2008, 10:51 PM
    redpython
    why do ball pythons seem to eat these things w/o reservation?
    So i have a few het for albino ball pythons. They are very picky eaters when it comes to rats, but man, they will gobble down these ASF's like no tomorrow.

Now these are all C.B.B. animals, so i wonder as to why they have a preference...is this like picking burger king over macdonalds? anyone have any idea?
  • 06-13-2008, 11:03 PM
    Nick
    Re: why do ball pythons seem to eat these things w/o reservation?
    What is ASF?
  • 06-13-2008, 11:07 PM
    redpython
    african soft fur,
  • 06-13-2008, 11:11 PM
    Custom Exotics
    They are their main source of food in Africa, and even though they are CB animals, it still seems, atleast for some, that they know that is what they normally eat.
  • 06-13-2008, 11:17 PM
    Bruce Whitehead
    I have a few picky eaters that I was able to get back on feed using ASFs, and was able to switch them back to regular rats at the next feeding.

But on the other hand, I have two adult males, both picky feeders that do not even blink at ASFs and show absolutely no interest. But they do seem to have a built in preference for them.

The ones I got back on feed hadn't shown any interest at all in feed for close to 9 months. Tossed them ASFs and they hit immediately.

Bruce
  • 06-13-2008, 11:20 PM
    dsirkle
    I have a pair of het for albino ball pythons. I have never fed them anything but rats but I can't fail to notice that they are much less aggressive feeders than my Mojave or Spider. I have speculated as to why this is. I have read that Mojaves and Spiders generally have a strong feeding response. I have also read that Albinos (not hets) are often finicky eaters. But the hets also become inactive and stay in their hides on the same days as well as fail to eat on the same days and I have wondered if they behave in similar ways because they are also siblings.
  • 06-17-2008, 07:18 PM
    rabernet
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dsirkle View Post
    I have a pair of het for albino ball pythons. I have never fed them anything but rats but I can't fail to notice that they are much less aggressive feeders than my Mojave or Spider. I have speculated as to why this is. I have read that Mojaves and Spiders generally have a strong feeding response. I have also read that Albinos (not hets) are often finicky eaters. But the hets also become inactive and stay in their hides on the same days as well as fail to eat on the same days and I have wondered if they behave in similar ways because they are also siblings.

I can only speak to my mojave - but he thinks that I should be offering up dinner every time I open his enclosure! :D
  • 06-17-2008, 07:29 PM
    jglass38
    My Het Albino girls are all spotty feeders. Maybe we are on to something! However my Albino is a maniac. Never refused a meal, even in shed.
  • 06-17-2008, 07:29 PM
    Emilio
    My picky eater so far loves ASF.
  • 06-17-2008, 08:01 PM
    FIREball
    My albino is a monster when it comes to eating, however my het pied hasnt eaten in a month. Maybe its a het thing, hopefully my 2 ASF trios will be reproducing soon so I can see for myself.