Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

2 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
    piebald95
    best and cheap setups for ball pythons i need help.
    i am on a tight budget to get a snake due to my car repair needs but really want a snake to so i need to know the cheapest most reliable BP setup so if any of ya know any good setups for a reasonable price please list and name them and total price estimate thank you.
  • 08-01-2011, 01:42 PM
    RetiredJedi
    Plastic Tub - $15 (+/-)
    Ultratherm Under Tank Heater (UTH) - $19.99
    Plastic water bowl x2 (hides) from Dollar Tree - $1 each
    Packing Paper (substrate) - 70 sheets $4.95 Home Depot
    Plastic water bowl - I had one at the house already
    Hydrofarm thermostat - $30 Amazon
    Accurite thermometer x2 - $12 each at Walmart
    f/t rats - price varies per frequency of feeding, size of rats
    Tape - ?
    Feeding tongs - $5 Repticon
    Digital gram scale - $15

Almost everything is a one time purchase except things like rats. The tub and hides grow with the BP and then of course things getting replaced as they get older and wearout.
  • 08-01-2011, 02:07 PM
    fluffpuffgerbil
    Re: best and cheap setups for ball pythons i need help.
    RetiredJedi, what size bin do you start out with for your hatchlings? I see that you said $15 for a bin, but the 15q I see are only about $6... Do you use a bigger size?
    Keeping an eye on this thread since I'm interested in cheap but great setups as well. :3
  • 08-01-2011, 02:14 PM
    RetiredJedi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffpuffgerbil View Post
    RetiredJedi, what size bin do you start out with for your hatchlings? I see that you said $15 for a bin, but the 15q I see are only about $6... Do you use a bigger size?
    Keeping an eye on this thread since I'm interested in cheap but great setups as well. :3

You know I was taking a guess because I used a tub I had at home already but I think 15q is about the size I have right now. What I did was look at the Wal-mart site and took a guess. That's why I put +/- and I'm not a good judge of it just by looking. I just made sure that with two hides and a water bowl my 145g BP has enough room to move a little but not too much room to make it look like it's too wide open. Let me put it this way when I put THIS PACKING PAPER down on the bottom of the tub I have to fold the sides in about an inch or so on each side for it to fit.
  • 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
    fluffpuffgerbil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RetiredJedi View Post
    You know I was taking a guess because I used a tub I had at home already but I think 15q is about the size I have right now. What I did was look at the Wal-mart site and took a guess. That's why I put +/- and I'm not a good judge of it just by looking. I just made sure that with two hides and a water bowl my 145g BP has enough room to move a little but not too much room to make it look like it's too wide open. Let me put it this way when I put THIS PACKING PAPER down on the bottom of the tub I have to fold the sides in about an inch or so on each side for it to fit.

I see. :3 I'm gonna be using a 15q tub I found at home, but only yesterday I realised it was a 15q. I checked at walmart and they were only $6.

That's the type of UTH I plan on getting. :3 I'm just gonna order it online though since Reptilebasics has them for like 14.99.(not sure on the shipping though)
    Thanks for the reply though! I was just curious what bin you used. :3
  • 08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
    llovelace
    Must haves before you get snake:

$2.97 15qt sterlite tub w/ locking lid
    $3.00 Hides & water dish
    $10.00 piece of wired flexwatt
    $8.00 rheostat-will have to be checked often, if room temps are unstable
    $12.00 accurite x 1
    $free Sunday paper for substrate

These are items that you may want to get after getting your snake

Digital gram scale
    Tongs
  • 08-01-2011, 02:29 PM
    MasonC2K
    Obi Wan there pretty much nailed it.

However, the substrate could just be newspaper or paper towls which you should already have anyways. And just one Accurite will do.

And a scale isn't really needed unless you plan on breeding. You should be able to tell if a snake is underweight just by looking at it.
  • 08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
    RetiredJedi
    You're welcome...if you keep checking back I'm sure I missed something and someone will add something... that UTH is really nice. It's kinda like heat tape that is already cut and setup for you. Even though it is low wattage you should still use something to monitor it.
  • 08-01-2011, 02:33 PM
    PghBall
    15 qt is perfect for a hatchling (you can pick up small bowls to turn into hides from the dollar store) once they get bigger, you can move them to a larger, more permanant tub.
  • 08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
    RetiredJedi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MasonC2K View Post
    Obi Wan there pretty much nailed it...

Hahahaha...more like Obi-Wan's ghost that couldn't do anything. Remember I'm a Retired Jedi...80)