Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

0 members and 3,092 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 09-15-2009, 06:19 AM
    Fearless
    Can I get everyones opinion on my website.
    I would like to get peoples opinions on my site... what could be done to make it better and what not.

Thanks in advance.

It can be viewed at www.t-bonez.com or just click on the link under my name.
  • 09-15-2009, 06:35 AM
    waltah!
    Re: Can I get everyones opinion on my website.
    One thing I would suggest would be more good snake pics on the Home page instead of multiple pics of yourself (especially the one with the beer in hand) I don't believe anyone would take you as seriously as you would like the was it's set up currently. A couple of the photos in the Pictures page are pretty blurry. I'm also not too sure about the main logo with the steak and bp. I like that it's a simple design and easy to navigate. Just remember that people are going to your site to look at and possibly purchase a snake so just focus on the animals and you should be in good shape.
  • 09-15-2009, 07:10 AM
    Dalishar
    I love that it's a very simple layout, and everything's just one click for what I want. The logo's cute too! Very unique, but doesn't bring too many negatives to mind (at least to me).

Most of my suggestions will be cosmetic! :oops:

From a completely personal standpoint, I feel nontransparent images should have some sort of boarder. Especially on a detailed background like the one you're using. It helps separate the pictures from it, and make them "pop" more into focus. I agree with waltah! too. Snakes, snakes, snakes! If you want a picture of yourself there for some recognition, maybe one in the "about us" page?

That kind of bleeds into another pet peeve of mine. Background images distract the eye from the text, especially when they aren't subtle. There's nothing wrong with a plain shade of color! If you want your website to "wow" someone, get a little fancy with the snake picture decoration and logo. Feel free to disregard that one though. As I said, just a pet peeve!

The "Available" page is a little cluttered and confusing. Spending a few minutes makes it easier to sort, but I feel it could be improved tremendously. There are so many other breeders around that if I (or any other incredibly lazy consumer! :D) have to spend too much time trying to figure out which snake is which, I'll probably just head off to a different website. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure how you could make that better without completely overhauling the page.

Remember that your website is pretty much your storefront. Capitalize your
    "I"s, and quadruple check pages for any grammar errors. Then make a friend look it over too. A good, proper text spiel on your website makes me more confident in your professionalism. Too many grammatical errors make me a little leery of handing my money over. It's kind of like seeing a dirty, mucky store, y'know?

Hope this helps!
  • 09-15-2009, 01:58 PM
    spitfireashlea
    Em...not very esthetically pleasing. . .

I could have helped you out there. I'm a graphics designer ;)
  • 09-15-2009, 02:08 PM
    Fearless
    Thanks to both of you, those are the little outside type of viewpoints that I was hoping to get. Stuff that doesn't click in your head when building a website, such as how does a holding a beer look especially on the home page.
  • 09-15-2009, 02:13 PM
    Fearless
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spitfireashlea View Post
    Em...not very esthetically pleasing. . .

I could have helped you out there. I'm a graphics designer ;)

Can you be more specific? Throw out some ideas of what you would do differently.
  • 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM
    piper
    To be honest, a plain black or white background with opposite colored text works fine. I would get rid of w/e it is you have up now and just go with a straight color. White text is easier to read then black I find. Also, go with a different font as well, I like calibri myself, it's professional looking and nice to look at. All of your text is the same, nothing is bolded, underlined.. You don't have headers, nothing is centered. The font is too big, but a bit of a white border around the pictures on a black background and it will look much better.

The numbers under the pictures.. make the font smaller.

Oh, and add headers to your pages so we now where we are on your website, these little things go a long way.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
    Mike
  • 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM
    spitfireashlea
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    Can you be more specific? Throw out some ideas of what you would do differently.

WELLLL..There is actually a whole science to graphics design and website content management that makes your website easier to read and more esthetically pleasing for those who visit it.

For a quick preview of this logic, here is an example:

When a user views any website, the "normal" reaction of your eyes is to read in the "F" format. People will skim a crossed the top-front of your website, skip down a few inches, skim a crossed again, then just scroll to the bottom. This is all suggesting your content is NOT appealing.

You want to use this logic in your web design. Make content easy to read, easily skim-able, but with plenty of information.

As of right now you can tell there was no "designer touch" added to your website. It has the information there, but not exactly the prettiest to look at. I suggest you work on a better navigation system, content management (how its setup) and some better graphics for your website.

PM Me if you need any help with any of this process :)

:gj:
  • 09-16-2009, 04:43 AM
    Fearless
    I have made several changes, thanks for helping so far, I appreciate the ideas so far and how much more professional the few changes have made it look.
  • 09-16-2009, 10:37 AM
    spitfireashlea
    Ooooo..Not bad. Great choice in color and design. Looks better already!

Few suggestions :
    Change the color of the navigation, yellow sticks out too much and pulls attention away from your content.
    I also suggest moving/redesigning your navigation bar. Test out a few designs/positions and see what you think.

Other than that, great start :)