Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,738

0 members and 2,738 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
  • 08-22-2011, 02:51 PM
    satomi325
    Some input wanted on cold winter temps and tubs
    Hello,

I pretty new with BPs and plan on getting a hatchling in the next two months. I would like to house it in a tub until adult size then move it to a permanent tank or enclosure.

Regarding a tub, I understand it matches ambient room temperatures. I plan on keeping my room cold during the month of November. I have ferrets and I induce their winter coats to grow for show events in December.

One solution, I can always keep the snake in a different room. But I'd prefer to keep it in my own room. Is there anyway I can keep the temperatures up in a tub when the room temperature is cool? Or should I use a temporary tank for those few weeks?

Like I said, if I have to house the snake in a different room, I will. I want it to be healthy and comfortable. But some helpful input would be nice. :)

Thanks
  • 08-22-2011, 03:02 PM
    Skittles1101
    Since I think it's difficult to use any kind of heat lamps with a tub, and assuming you will be using a UTH and thermostat, I suggest keeping it in a different room that is not as cold. Although tubs tend to hold in heat better than glass, it can still be too cold regardless if the ambient room temps are too cold. Last thing you want is a snake with an RI just because you wanted it in your bedroom.
  • 08-22-2011, 03:12 PM
    Crazy4Herps
    Re: Some input wanted on cold winter temps and tubs
    ^Agreed. No matter what type of caging you use, there is only so much heaters can do to battle a cold ambient. I'd recommend moving the enclosure to a warmer space during the winter.
  • 08-22-2011, 03:48 PM
    PghBall
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Hello,

I pretty new with BPs and plan on getting a hatchling in the next two months. I would like to house it in a tub until adult size then move it to a permanent tank or enclosure.

Regarding a tub, I understand it matches ambient room temperatures. I plan on keeping my room cold during the month of November. I have ferrets and I induce their winter coats to grow for show events in December.

One solution, I can always keep the snake in a different room. But I'd prefer to keep it in my own room. Is there anyway I can keep the temperatures up in a tub when the room temperature is cool? Or should I use a temporary tank for those few weeks?

Like I said, if I have to house the snake in a different room, I will. I want it to be healthy and comfortable. But some helpful input would be nice. :)

Thanks

Sounds like you'll be letting your room drop down in the low 60's or so? I don't know what temps have to be to induce your ferrets winter coats, but sounds like it would have to be cold to do that. I like to keep my room temps around no less than 70-75 degrees (use an oil heater to maintain the temps). I can then maintain proper temps in the Tubs without issue. I would say you may want to just keep your BP in another (warmer) room.
  • 08-22-2011, 04:08 PM
    L.West
    Along this same line - do those of you that use the oil filled heaters run them continuously - I read they are safe but I always worry about a fire or something.

Let me know what you all do.

Thx
  • 08-22-2011, 04:20 PM
    satomi325
    Yeah. I pretty much thought I would have to move the BP into a different room for the month long cold period I'm going to induce in my bedroom (the rest of the house will stay in normal temps). But I just wanted to see if there were any other options besides that.

Thanks all for the input. :)
  • 08-22-2011, 05:27 PM
    Crazy4Herps
    Quote:

Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    Along this same line - do those of you that use the oil filled heaters run them continuously - I read they are safe but I always worry about a fire or something.

Let me know what you all do.

Thx

I use a small electric space heater during the winter; I run it for about an hour in the mornings then turn it on again when I get home for the rest of the day. It keeps the room around 77* during the day and 70* at night.
  • 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM
    kitedemon
    I found that tubs in cooler than 75 could not hold ambient air temps warm enough. After a lot of messing about I abandoned them for this reason and an using a insulated rack custom enclosures and tanks.

One thought might be (expensive one but it will solve the problem) is to go ahead and buy a adult enclosure (vision or the like) and place the tub inside it. if you have a fluorescent light (tube style I use 2 footers) inside the adult enclosure it will go a great length to maintaining the ambient air temps warm enough to manage a cool room. My adult enclosures hold ambient temps about 10-15ºF over the room temps.

It is one idea anyway.