Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,815

1 members and 2,814 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Bad shed? No problem.

Printable View

• 02-28-2007, 02:54 PM
    Snakeman
    Re: Bad shed? No problem.
    wow this is great.i used this same method when my baby blood became "lazy" to shed her skin.
  • 02-28-2007, 03:02 PM
    Nate
    very nice! Kudos to you :gj:
  • 02-28-2007, 04:26 PM
    ECLARK
    JUST MY OPINION! :)

Soaking for 45-60 minutes is way to long, 10-15 minutes max will normally loosing the bad shed enought to peel it off. and you may need to soak alittle more to complete the job. after about 10 minutes the water cools down and then you will need to learn to treat URI. :)

In the winter with all the heat required to keep these guys healthy we all encounter less than ideal humidity levels and have to soak them now and then, this is how I do it and Im sure Christies way works for her. :)
  • 02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
    West Coast Jungle
    Christie I have to say that is a very pretty snake you used there. Very informative and nice to look at. You can never have too many husbandry tips, Thanks. :sunny:
  • 02-28-2007, 05:12 PM
    tigerlily
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECLARK
    JUST MY OPINION! :)

Soaking for 45-60 minutes is way to long, 10-15 minutes max will normally loosing the bad shed enought to peel it off. and you may need to soak alittle more to complete the job. after about 10 minutes the water cools down and then you will need to learn to treat URI. :)

In the winter with all the heat required to keep these guys healthy we all encounter less than ideal humidity levels and have to soak them now and then, this is how I do it and Im sure Christies way works for her. :)

That's why it's important to keep the water in a warm environment, specifically the cage (which even on the cool side should remain 80 degrees). I've only had to soak a handful of times, and I've never encountered an RI.
  • 02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
    Adam_Wysocki
    Great job Christie!!! .... That's exactly what I do here for problem shedders!!! :sweeet:

JUST MY OPINION. :D

I've been soaking ball pythons in tepid water, in their enclosures, 45-60 minutes at most, for over a decade and have never gotten a URI that way. The key is to make sure the tub of water doesn't sit out in a cold room ... that will chill the snake. I put my "soaking tubs" back in the rack (or cage) just like Christie ... works perfect, every time!!! :sweeet:

JUST MY OPINION ... well, more like my personal experience I guess ... whatever ... it's all good! ;) :D :sweeet:

-adam
  • 02-28-2007, 05:59 PM
    xdeus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily
    That's why it's important to keep the water in a warm environment, specifically the cage (which even on the cool side should remain 80 degrees). I've only had to soak a handful of times, and I've never encountered an RI.

I agree. I've treated numerous stuck sheds with a slightly different method (placing the snake in a warm, wet pillowcase), but I always keep them in their rack where it's nice and toasty. I've kept some of them in there for over an hour without worry.
  • 02-28-2007, 11:08 PM
    ECLARK
    The point I was trying to make was that when left in water and it can cool down, that can cause problems letting a snake sit in cold water for an hour. the original poster never said anything about putting the soaking snake in a heated cage. A heated cage would keep the temps from getting cold. and thats my opinion! :P
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Great job Christie!!! .... That's exactly what I do here for problem shedders!!! :sweeet:

JUST MY OPINION. :D

I've been soaking ball pythons in tepid water, in their enclosures, 45-60 minutes at most, for over a decade and have never gotten a URI that way. The key is to make sure the tub of water doesn't sit out in a cold room ... that will chill the snake. I put my "soaking tubs" back in the rack (or cage) just like Christie ... works perfect, every time!!! :sweeet:

JUST MY OPINION ... well, more like my personal experience I guess ... whatever ... it's all good! ;) :D :sweeet:

-adam

• 02-28-2007, 11:42 PM
    stangs13
    Great advise Crristie!:carrot: I think this is sticky worthy.:rockon:
  • 03-01-2007, 12:01 AM
    TheDude
    Fantastic!!! I used this same method on my dude!! you rock! :rockon: