Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 834

2 members and 832 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

BP not Eating

Printable View

• 04-20-2021, 11:11 AM
    Hugsplox
    Re: BP not Eating
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
    would buying 1 of those portable "Room" humidifiers for her room, and keep door shut which i do now, be good enough to get her some more humidity???

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...With-Pictures!

Someone may have already shared this, but take a look at the above link. While the post is old and some of the pics are gone, there's still explanations on how to set up a 20 gallon long glass tank to hold in humidity. I used this method when I kept my BP in a glass tank and it works great.
  • 04-20-2021, 11:57 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JacksReptiles View Post
    I would go to the person that you bought the snake from and ask for the hide that she was originally using. See if they will send it to you because sometimes snakes get upset when you put them in a new environment. Also also ask the previous owner how they had their enclosure setup and anything specific to feeding the snake. Details are important so you can find out what your snake likes. Did they feed the snake in a seperate enclosure? Did they put it on paper towel to feed it or just leave it on substrate. Any details you can get from the previous owner is key here. Post a picture of your enclosure and the snake so we can see how big the snake is please.

Jacks: If you read this thread you'd know that the snake was bought from a professional breeder, namely Wilbanks, whose ads appear on our site. I cannot imagine any breeder sending out hides previously used by a snake they sold, can you? This owner needs real help, not more "rabbit holes" to go down.

What's more, even the mere mention of feeding a snake by leaving prey on a paper towel is dangerous (!) & could result in the death of their snake.
    NEVER LEAVE PREY ON A PAPER TOWEL! (pretty please?)
    F/T prey tends to be damp, and paper towels stick very well to such things- this practice could easily result in the paper towel being ingested by the snake, right along with the prey, & it wouldn't be the first time. Snakes cannot digest paper towels (or fabric, for that matter) & these materials can cause an internal blockage needing surgery to correct & from which a snake might not survive.

Let's not make things worse for this owner & their pet (or for anyone else reading our forum & trying to learn the right ways), okay? Thanks-
  • 04-20-2021, 02:45 PM
    Thomas S
    Thanks Alot for your post warning to me, i worry about Aspen too, not good for snake digestion either
  • 04-20-2021, 02:49 PM
    Thomas S
    Ok i will check it out definitely, tried calling Wilbanks again, still no call back yet...thanks
  • 04-20-2021, 05:28 PM
    Thomas S
    Has anyone had any problems starting out with a 20 gallon or larger habitat for their under 300 grams B.P's?
  • 04-20-2021, 06:01 PM
    jmcrook
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...57#post2448857

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-20-2021, 06:05 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Has anyone had any problems starting out with a 20 gallon or larger habitat for their under 300 grams B.P's?

Many (or maybe most) have- I'm not in the business of raising BPs but standard wisdom around here is that most do better in smaller accommodations. (ie. tubs or rack system if keeping multiples) (I have raised 4 BPs in the past & had others also that were taken in as adults, but I'm not currently keeping BPs at all.)

Most likely Wilbanks raised your snake that way, so as I advised you previously, for best results try to copy what the breeder did with a young snake prior to your purchase, & if you don't know, be sure to ask them. Snake breeders don't have the room nor the desire to use glass tanks, & for BPs, it's harder to maintain humidity, and especially challenging for them to feel "safe & secure enough" to eat. They are ambush-predators- they hide & snag food that gets near enough to their hiding place for them to grab- they're not bold snakes & they hate being out in the open, instinctively, because that's where predators grab them. ;)
  • 04-21-2021, 04:28 AM
    Thomas S
    i just don't know what to do, your really the only one who says go to the tote, most people recommend feeding the Snake in its "real Home"...if i change up to the tote, thats going to take another week to de-stress the snake, and when the snake gets not too much bigger, it will be physically ready for a Big home, but will have to go thru the stress adjusting all over again...As for my Breeder(Wilbanks), 2 days, 2 calls, 2 left messages where i explain that i am in a "Desperate Situation", but no returned phone calls, no text, nothing, i don't even see a review option on their website, wonder why??? The next feed attempt is going to be a BIG one of course, and if i have to make the call without talking to the breeder, and making my choice to go with tote or not, thats setting up for another failed feed attempt because OBVIOUSLY i dont know for sure what can, or will work?
  • 04-21-2021, 09:18 AM
    Hugsplox
    Quote:

i just don't know what to do, your really the only one who says go to the tote, most people recommend feeding the Snake in its "real Home"...if i change up to the tote, thats going to take another week to de-stress the snake, and when the snake gets not too much bigger, it will be physically ready for a Big home, but will have to go thru the stress adjusting all over again...As for my Breeder(Wilbanks), 2 days, 2 calls, 2 left messages where i explain that i am in a "Desperate Situation", but no returned phone calls, no text, nothing, i don't even see a review option on their website, wonder why??? The next feed attempt is going to be a BIG one of course, and if i have to make the call without talking to the breeder, and making my choice to go with tote or not, thats setting up for another failed feed attempt because OBVIOUSLY i dont know for sure what can, or will work?

I have no idea who you're referring to when you say "you're the only one who says go to the tote." There's a button under each post that says "reply with quote" or something to that effect, click that so we can tell specifically who/what you're referring to.

DO NOT move the snake to another container to try to feed. Feed it in its enclosure. Secondly you have got to give the corrections you're making time to work. You can't put hides in and then expect everything to be fine the next day. You've kept this snake in substandard conditions for weeks and you're talking to us like you expect her to come out and ask for food immediately because you made her some cardboard hides. You need to understand that you've stressed her out and, yea you're taking steps to correct the poor husbandry now, but she's most likely been stressed the entire time you've had her. This isn't going to be an overnight change in behavior for her or you. You also mentioned that she might have been going into shed, but you never said anything else about it. If she's in shed, you need to wait until she's done before trying to feed again.

I understand you're frustrated with Wilbanks, but just remember they're one of the biggest breeders in the country, they're probably working short staffed with Covid, and I'm sure they're running 100mph every single day. They're also not the ones to blame for this situation, and they're probably not going to give you any information that you haven't already received from us. IF you've made all the corrections that we've suggested to you then you need to just be patient and let your snake settle in.

Nothing is going to change overnight with her. You've kept her in a bad set up for 5 weeks, you've handled her to move her in and out trying to feed, you've made a lot of mistakes. Now you're doing the right thing, asking for advice, and fixing these issues, but you have to be patient and let the corrections work.
  • 04-21-2021, 10:45 AM
    Thomas S
    what im saying is that Bogertophis post is one of few posters who says to feed in a tote/seperate container