Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,907

0 members and 2,907 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
  • 07-31-2021, 09:10 PM
    MaxMorphs
    Question about the odds on our first clutch!
    This is our first clutch we have hatched. We had 2 first time parents lay 6 perfect eggs. The mother was pied / 66% Het Axanthic father was pied / Het Axanthic. We ended up with 3 regular pieds and 3 Axanthic pieds. Did we just hit crazy odds or does or does that seem normal? Would that possibly suggest that the mother is more than 66% Axanthic? Thanks
  • 07-31-2021, 09:18 PM
    Snow Balls
    Re: Question about the odds on our first clutch!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxMorphs View Post
    This is our first clutch we have hatched. We had 2 first time parents lay 6 perfect eggs. The mother was pied / 66% Het Axanthic father was pied / Het Axanthic. We ended up with 3 regular pieds and 3 Axanthic pieds. Did we just hit crazy odds or does or does that seem normal? Would that possibly suggest that the mother is more than 66% Axanthic? Thanks

Yeah that’s crazy odds! Not on the pied side cuz pied x pied will always get nothing but pieds. That would also mean the female is 100% Het axanthic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-31-2021, 11:30 PM
    MaxMorphs
    Thanks for the response. I'm also interested in opinions on what one of the 3 Axanthics to keep. They are mostly mid to low white but one has more dark black then the others. Im assuming the grey/silver is what has a tendency to brown not the black? I'll try to get some photos uploaded as soon as I figure it out ;). We were excited to say the least and have 7 more eggs in the incubator that have a chance at more Axanthics. Is there anyway that she's less the 100% Het or would the odds have been to crazy for thst?
  • 07-31-2021, 11:37 PM
    Snow Balls
    Quote:

Is there anyway that she's less the 100% Het or would the odds have been to crazy for thst?

No since she produced visual axanthics then she is 100% nothing less. What line of axanthic are you working with just out of curiosity?

• 07-31-2021, 11:44 PM
    MaxMorphs
    They are Vpi. So just so I understand correctly your saying a 66% Het Axanthic will not ever have Axanthic baby's?
  • 07-31-2021, 11:51 PM
    Snow Balls
    Quote:

They are Vpi. So just so I understand correctly your saying a 66% Het Axanthic will not ever have Axanthic baby's?

No, since she was a 66% Het and produced visual axanthics that now makes her 100% Het for axanthic

• 07-31-2021, 11:52 PM
    Snow Balls
    So if you breed her to another 100% Het axanthic or a visual axanthic she will produce axanthics

• 08-01-2021, 12:06 AM
    MaxMorphs
    Ok. Sorry if I wasn't clear the male is 100% Het Axanthic. We just couldn't believe that 1/2 where Axanthic especially with mom being on 66%. Thanks for clarification.
  • 08-01-2021, 02:15 AM
    nikkubus
    Let me help explain what 66% het means and it will make more sense.

Let's say you breed an Axanthic to a Normal. All babies will be Normal 100% het Axanthic.

Let's say you breed two of those together so Normal het Axanthic to Normal het Axanthic:
    -25% Axanthic
    -50% Normal het Axanthic
    -25% Normal
    but there is NO way to tell visually which are Normal and which are het, so you would call all of these (75% of the clutch) "66% het" because 1/3 of them will turn out to be plain old Normals without a het.

Once you breed the 66% het to an Axanthic, and it produces any Axanthic hatchings at all, it is "proven" to be 100% het Axanthic. However if you breed it and have a large enough pool of babies that none are ever Axanthic, then you would discover it's just a plain old Normal.

Hope that helps! Congrats on proving yours out!
  • 08-01-2021, 09:21 AM
    MaxMorphs
    Thats awesome. That is new to me! I'm obviously glad she proved out. I thought she would for sure have the Axanthic gene but just less chance of getting an Axanthic. I might have changed my plans knowing that when we purchased her. I guess I didn't do as much research as I thought. So are the other 3 100% Het Axanthic? Thanks for the help.