Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,421

0 members and 1,421 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Prekilled by my cat?

Printable View

• 06-13-2018, 10:26 AM
    AnnieHeart
    Prekilled by my cat?
    Hi Everyone!

My indoor cat got into my garage and killed a mouse. Found it by the door waiting for me!! :()

My question...

Have any of you fed a mouse that your cat killed, OR you caught in a trap, and fed it to your snakes??

Would that be a bad thing to do?
  • 06-13-2018, 10:28 AM
    Wharf Rat
    Re: Prekilled by my cat?
    I wouldn't suggest it. Big risk of parasites, and who knows what else.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
  • 06-13-2018, 10:29 AM
    tttaylorrr
    wild rodents can be filled with parasites or other bugs, have been eating/surviving off of gosh-knows-what and could have been living in terrible conditions and can be just filthy. do not feed all of that to your snake.

it's a bad idea 8 ways to sunday.
  • 06-13-2018, 10:36 AM
    Craiga 01453
    My indoor cat catches a mouse in the house here and there. They go right outside for a neighborhood animal.

Too many parasites and too much risk. Simply not worth it to save a buck or two.
  • 06-13-2018, 10:36 AM
    AnnieHeart
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
    I wouldn't suggest it. Big risk of parasites, and who knows what else.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Definitely not taking the chance it!! :O

Quote:

Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    wild rodents can be filled with parasites or other bugs, have been eating/surviving off of gosh-knows-what and could have been living in terrible conditions and can be just filthy. do not feed all of that to your snake.

it's a bad idea 8 ways to sunday.

Yeah, it is definitely gross!!
  • 06-13-2018, 10:43 AM
    AnnieHeart
    Quote:

Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    My indoor cat catches a mouse in the house here and there. They go right outside for a neighborhood animal.

Too many parasites and too much risk. Simply not worth it to save a buck or two.

Gotcha. My cat is an indoor cat and so it was surprising to find her in the garage ( I have no idea how she managed to get in there!!) and even bigger surprise to find her dead mouse!
  • 06-13-2018, 11:14 AM
    richardhind1972
    The mouse may have also been poisoned and that's why your cat was able to catch it,I really wouldn't risk it

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
  • 06-13-2018, 01:11 PM
    Bogertophis
    Not only do I agree with others that wild rodents aren't safe to feed, but consider how germ-filled your cats teeth & toenails are*...all that might have been
    injected into the mouse too. Bleah...no way! Toss it where you'll "make" some buzzard's day. ;) (*that's why when cats fight each other their wounds always
    get so infected)
  • 06-13-2018, 03:54 PM
    Alter-Echo
    Some parasites can be killed by freezing the prey for a month or so... but then again, most bacteria and protozoa will survive just fine... so probably not a good idea.
  • 06-13-2018, 04:00 PM
    AnnieHeart
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Not only do I agree with others that wild rodents aren't safe to feed, but consider how germ-filled your cats teeth & toenails are*...all that might have been
    injected into the mouse too. Bleah...no way! Toss it where you'll "make" some buzzard's day. ;) (*that's why when cats fight each other their wounds always
    get so infected)

My cat didn't eat it, thankfully. :) This was an accident kill because he wasn't even supposed to be in the garage since he's an indoor cat only.