Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

3 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
  • 10-14-2020, 04:59 PM
    alice40604345
    Re: What will happen if the thermostat or UTH go wrong/stops working?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    I use the HerpStat as well. I don't use a UTH for heat. Instead, I use the RHP's from Pro Heat, which are placed on the top inside of the enclosure, the under the tank or bottom. I place the probe up against the wall, on the warm side, just about an 2 inches off the floor. This makes it about an inch off the substrate. And, the probe is set in place with a zip tie. Its attached to the wall and can't move.

If you mean placing the wifi temp monitor, and not having that moved by the snake... then I don't know. I don't have one in there (YET). But, I just ordered a few of the Govee ones I listed above, since the price was good, and will soon give it a whirl!

Thank you so much for the information! I'm thinking placing the Govee ones maybe outside but very close to the containers, so if something goes wrong the surrounding temperature of the container should also change a lot! Then I may get some indoor camera so then I can check the situation!:)
  • 10-14-2020, 05:03 PM
    alice40604345
    Oh! The second I'm about to purchase it the deal is over:rolleye2:

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Tempera...ef_=ast_sto_dp
    I found this one is $35 but not sure what's the difference
  • 10-14-2020, 05:28 PM
    Charles8088
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alice40604345 View Post
    Oh! The second I'm about to purchase it the deal is over:rolleye2:

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Tempera...ef_=ast_sto_dp
    I found this one is $35 but not sure what's the difference

Well... funny.... it looks like exactly the same unit. Just different pages. Which is also odd, considering both show up as Sold by Govee, Fulfilled by Amazon. There IS another Govee unit that looks exactly the same, but is bluetooth instead of wifi. That one is I think like $15. But, this link you have here, looks exactly the same as the other wifi unit. I looked, and looks the same. If you see otherwise, let me know.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • 10-14-2020, 05:45 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Wow that's pretty cool! Mine are just Zilla and jump start, not sure whether they turn off if not working. I haven't seen any posts here talking about what will happen if something wrong with thermostat, maybe it happens super rare?

Zilla and Jumpstart both fail wide open if they do fail. Meaning, the thermostat stops working but the heating unit does not. So, if the tstat fails the heat will spike.

Herpstats will shut the heat down if the tstat fails.

That being said, I've been using a few Jumpstarts for years with no problem. I will eventually upgrade to Herpstats across the board though.
  • 10-14-2020, 05:59 PM
    alice40604345
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Zilla and Jumpstart both fail wide open if they do fail. Meaning, the thermostat stops working but the heating unit does not. So, if the tstat fails the heat will spike.

That being said, I've been using a few Jumpstarts for years with no problem. I will eventually upgrade to Herpstats across the board though.

Thank you so much for the information! That's kind of scary but I feel relieved to know that yours are still good with years of usage! I just found a video shows that looks like heat mat can go 150F on the ground and around 120F under the tank without thermostat after an hour,(so it means the it won't go higher after one hour and it's the max?) looks like it won't cause fire or smoke, so maybe the snakes is able go to the cool spot if the worst case happens.:please: Since I haven't found many posts says that their thermostat fail and cause terrible consequences, maybe that's really really unlikely to happen. I hope my thermostat works perfect until I finally settle down and upgrade them!
  • 10-14-2020, 06:45 PM
    GoingPostal
    Quote:

Thank you so much for the information! That's kind of scary but I feel relieved to know that yours are still good with years of usage! I just found a video shows that looks like heat mat can go 150F on the ground and around 120F under the tank without thermostat after an hour,(so it means the it won't go higher after one hour and it's the max?) looks like it won't cause fire or smoke, so maybe the snakes is able go to the cool spot if the worst case happens.:please: Since I haven't found many posts says that their thermostat fail and cause terrible consequences, maybe that's really really unlikely to happen. I hope my thermostat works perfect until I finally settle down and upgrade them!

Snakes don't really have the brains to figure out what's burning them so unfortunately they don't always move when heat meats spike too hot. It does happen that they fail but I wouldn't say it's common. Usually the burns and issues you hear about more often are from people who aren't using anything to control their heat. I used dimmers on my heat mats until I got herpstats and they are well worth the upgrade, you can't really go wrong investing in high quality heating and controllers since temps and stability are so crucial for your snakes health.
  • 10-14-2020, 07:21 PM
    Charles8088
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post

I didn't know that about the JumpStarts or HerpStat. Good to know. I don't have any backups currently installed. Just the HerpStat alarms if temps go out of whack. But, going to set up those Govees now when I get them.
  • 10-14-2020, 07:27 PM
    303_enfield
    On WIFI alarms (any alarms) if for heat (cold), put it inside the cage. You can hot glue, zip tie or screw them in place. Some more advanced ones have probes you place in your tank. Electric current alarms are "inline". They are plugged into the power source.

You can find 1,000 types of alarms. I know several "collectors" that have Nest cameras in APT10 tanks. If you have a smart phone your options are almost unlimited.

Years ago I had a Jack Dempsey break a 125 gallon tank. I was using a water leak alarm like this:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/SABRE-Wa...oduct-overview

Alarm went off an everybody heard it. Now, smart alarms call smart phones with or without WIFI.

If you dream it it can be found or made.

Good luck!
  • 10-15-2020, 02:11 PM
    alice40604345
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Snakes don't really have the brains to figure out what's burning them so unfortunately they don't always move when heat meats spike too hot. It does happen that they fail but I wouldn't say it's common. Usually the burns and issues you hear about more often are from people who aren't using anything to control their heat. I used dimmers on my heat mats until I got herpstats and they are well worth the upgrade, you can't really go wrong investing in high quality heating and controllers since temps and stability are so crucial for your snakes health.

Thank you! If snakes could be more smart that's really amazing!:D
  • 10-15-2020, 02:16 PM
    alice40604345
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    I didn't know that about the JumpStarts or HerpStat. Good to know. I don't have any backups currently installed. Just the HerpStat alarms if temps go out of whack. But, going to set up those Govees now when I get them.

Thank you so much! My Govee should be delivered today!:D And I may use your double thermostat method or HerpStat in the future!! May I know which HerpStat you use? You use one per snake or is there a type can be used for multiple snakes with multiple probes?