Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 520

1 members and 519 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
  • 03-27-2012, 02:18 AM
    Skull&Bones
    Re: How to set up a PVC cage (AP T8) With Pictures!
    Wow kinda weird but i just decided to get the T8 and i was looking for a good review and this thread totally helped...Thanx for all the info Aaron I'm gonna order my T8 tomorrow morning
  • 03-27-2012, 07:43 AM
    The Serpent Merchant
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skull&Bones View Post
    Wow kinda weird but i just decided to get the T8 and i was looking for a good review and this thread totally helped...Thanx for all the info Aaron I'm gonna order my T8 tomorrow morning

I'm glad it helped. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • 03-27-2012, 10:17 AM
    blushingball419
    Awesome write-up and great pictures! I'm considering getting a couple of these in the future and this was very helpful! :gj: I was just wondering how heavy they are and how easy they are to move around?
  • 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM
    The Serpent Merchant
    They aren't too heavy, my guess would be somewhere around 20-30 lbs. 1 person can move a T8 without issue but 2 people makes it much easier (just because of the bulk) they are easy to assemble and dissemble so if needed that is another option.
  • 04-25-2012, 08:40 AM
    Natassja
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post

This is the divider (can be taken out and put back in as needed)

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_0449.jpg

Here is the cage with the divider in place

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_0450.jpg

Hello again! Whats holding the divider in place? it is some kind of slot?
    also, if you divide the cage , but still need secondary heating in form of a radiant heat panel to keep appropriate ambient heat.

How would one go about heating the whole cage, with only one RHP and with the divider in place?

Airholes in the actuall divider?
    Maybe cut out a slot in the divider so it fits the RHP(which are mounted to the roof directly above divider)

any suggestions ? or any other heating possibilitys that isnt as pricy as two RDP? Planning on having 2 juv Blood Pythons in a T8 style cage

thanks!
  • 04-25-2012, 09:33 AM
    The Serpent Merchant
    The divider (and the rest of the cage) is manufactured using a computerized milling machine. this means that they can make extremely precise parts. The divider simply pops in. no grove, or anything else. this is nice because it means you can split the cage in any ratio that you want (50/50, 60/40, 70/30, etc...) AP at least does offer the option to cut a slot for the divider, and include screws to make it permeant. (I might be getting a cage like this next time I order one)

RHP's when using the divider becomes an interesting situation. the best option is to just get 2 smaller RHP's. But you could cut a slot in the divider and mount one larger RHP in the center as well. Make sure that the slot is cut deep enough that there is some air space between the RHP and the top of the divider, as RHP's can achieve relatively high surface temperatures. (make the slot as deep as you can, without allowing the snakes to get through it. I would say 2-3 inches would be enough)
  • 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
    Inarikins
    So I'm going in a different direction (turns out the roomies don't want me to have a rack with multiple snakes but a PVC cage is perfect because it saves on having to keep an entire room warm). If I go the T8 route with the divider, do I need to buy two of the flourescent lighting fixtures if I want the light or do I need two?

Also, if I go with the flexwatt, is the RHP necessary? The room I guess can dip below 65 or 70 in the winter but in the summer I doubt ambient will be an issue at all.
  • 05-02-2012, 01:39 PM
    The Serpent Merchant
    When using the divider you will need 2 lights.

How long during the winter does the room get to 65? If it is only a few days then RHP's probably aren't worth the extra cost.

If it will be that cold for an extended period of time you will probably need to use RHP's. If using the divider you will need 2 of these:

http://www.reptilebasics.com/28-watt-radiant-heat-panel

If you don't use the divider 1 of these will be fine:

http://www.reptilebasics.com/40-watt-radiant-heat-panel
  • 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
    WarriorPrincess90
    This is awesome Aaron! :D Just out of curiosity, since you use Flexwatt, do you have to lift the cages or be careful on what type of surface you place them to keep the Flexwatt from trapping heat beneath the cage or starting a fire? I always wondered how that worked when using Flexwatt for UTH because your typical UTH requires that the cage be lifted slightly and not be placed on any wood surface or something likewise flammable. :rolleyes:
  • 05-02-2012, 02:23 PM
    The Serpent Merchant
    My cages sit on the 8" stand made by AP, it is made from the same 1/2" PVC that the cages are. Before I got the 8" stands I used the pastil tables with fold out legs and TV tray tables lol. the Flexwatt when regulated by a thermostat shouldn't get much over 100 degrees ever. my hottest thermostat setting is 102.5 right now. While I wouldn't trust that sitting directly on my carpet... I would put it on wood or most plastics.

As you can se my cages are stacked on top of each other, and there is flexwatt sandwiched in-between them. I haven't found any need for an air gap or anything like that so far. This is because the thermostat probe site in the slop in the bottom of the cage... so it would detect any build up of heat and turn down the power going to the flexwatt.