Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,257

1 members and 3,256 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Vet or wait?

Printable View

• 06-11-2017, 11:08 AM
    Clementine_3
    Vet or wait?
    Long time no post but I have a potential problem with one of my IJ's so am looking for advice/help.

Last night Peggy Sue struck at one of the dogs, she's never done that before, she hit the glass really hard. Her mouth is messed up and she can't seem to fix it. She can't close it all the way. Ugh.

Take her to the vet or give it time? Gah, hopefully this link works, if so, zoom in.

https://goo.gl/photos/F9HRPvETsqt2JauF9
  • 06-11-2017, 02:47 PM
    Reinz
    I don't feel qualified to give you an answer. But if it were one of my snakes and it didn't realign their jaw in 12-24 hrs I would take it to the vet.

I would be concerned about broken teeth and or the possibility of an abscess, both which could cause a cascade of health concerns.
  • 06-11-2017, 03:10 PM
    KMG
    My GTP did something similar once. Turned out one of his teeth were caught in a manner he couldn't realign his jaw. I was able to gently fix the issue myself and he was fine.

It is hard for me to say what you should do but if it were me I would check it out myself and see exactly what you're dealing with. It may be simple or you may see a vet is required. I just can't say with seeing one pic.

I hope it is a simple fix.
  • 06-11-2017, 03:48 PM
    Clementine_3
    Just checked on her, not sure if it's actually closed up a little more or it's because she's leaning on it. I took another picture, the bottom of her mouth is waaay askew. I guess I'll call the vet in the morning unless by some miracle she looks 100% normal.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...ps5xvtktn6.jpg
  • 06-11-2017, 04:03 PM
    KMG
    I'd use a qtip to open the month and see if her tooth is caught.

But if you don't feel comfortable doing that don't.

Growning up in the country working on animals was part of it so I do whatever I can myself.
  • 06-11-2017, 04:11 PM
    Clementine_3
    I did have a quick look but honestly didn't see anything obviously wrong. There's no blood, swelling or glaring something to see. She was not happy but she'll get over it. At least she wasn't hissing like she was last night when I just opened the cage a wee little bit. Oh, she was angry then!
  • 06-12-2017, 04:00 PM
    dboeren
    Yeah, I would open her mouth and take a look, might be something obvious that you can correct immediately.
  • 06-12-2017, 05:57 PM
    Clementine_3
    Just got back from the vet. There's a ton of swelling on the inside of her jaw (mostly lower but some upper) but she'll be fine. It may take a while for it to fully close and go back to normal though. He gave her an injection to help bring the swelling down.

$120 later I'm glad I took her. Stupid snake :rage:
  • 08-01-2019, 02:57 AM
    Nuzum1978
    Just had this with a miss during feeding. 3am is not the time for a scare like this. Luckily mine did finally get realigned quickly and she finished the feed.

Glad you got an answer.