Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,922

5 members and 2,917 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Brands of rats

Printable View

• 07-06-2020, 05:25 PM
    Bo 17
    Brands of rats
    Hi this is my second post. I’ve had my male ball python for almost a year and a half. I have been feeding him small rats from PetSmart they are the arctic mice brand. But recently due to coronavirus and everything it has not always been open and not always have the sizes I need. I am considering buying them online for the first time and was wondering what you guy’s favorite brands are that you can get online based on quality and price. Thanks!
  • 07-06-2020, 05:36 PM
    jmcrook
    Re: Brands of rats
    Cold Blooded Cafe
    Perfect Prey
    Big Cheese

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-06-2020, 05:42 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Cold Blooded Cafe
    Perfect Prey
    Big Cheese

I've used Perfect Prey and Big Cheese, and they're both great. I haven't used CBC but have heard all good things.
  • 07-06-2020, 05:44 PM
    scarThePiedBall
    I've only used Big Cheese and they have been great. There are definitely several online stores to check out...the ones jmcrook posted have been the ones I know other people have used with great results as well. Sometimes they have deals so check out a few sites and check the shipped price. Good luck!
  • 07-06-2020, 06:39 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I've used Perfect Prey and Big Cheese, and they're both great. I haven't used CBC but have heard all good things.

They’re fantastic. Only wish CBC vacuum sealed their bags but that’s not a big deal for me. I got a food saver recently and portioned out my last CBC order and vacuum sealed everything in bags of 6-8 rodents per bag. They ship super fast too. I think if you place your order before Tuesday or something you’ll get it that same week. Hard to beat.

• 07-06-2020, 06:53 PM
    bcr229
    If you only have one male ball python try finding a local private feeder breeder before going online. Buying online is really only cost-effective when you're placing a decent sized order since express shipping + dry ice gets a bit spendy. If you look on Craigslist you can sometimes find people selling "snake food", or try a reptile group on Facebook specifically for your city or state.

Another option is to see what expos have been held in your area and look over their vendor lists to see who sold feeders. While expos in many areas have been cancelled due to the pandemic you can still get the list of vendors from past events.
  • 07-06-2020, 10:38 PM
    303_enfield
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If you only have one male ball python try finding a local private feeder breeder before going online. Buying online is really only cost-effective when you're placing a decent sized order since express shipping + dry ice gets a bit spendy. If you look on Craigslist you can sometimes find people selling "snake food", or try a reptile group on Facebook specifically for your city or state.

Another option is to see what expos have been held in your area and look over their vendor lists to see who sold feeders. While expos in many areas have been cancelled due to the pandemic you can still get the list of vendors from past events.

The above. Check your local facebook an craigslist for snake an rodent groups. Google live rat dealers an you'll find more groups (fauna?). Place a WTB ad with a location an you'll find some. An the next best thing. Find an old school pet shop the leaves all the rodents in the same cage. That fat $12 fancy rat could give you eight more :D

Local hobby breeder rats in my area are $3 for 100g rat. Smalls can be $1-2. ASF are $2. Pet prices are $12+ rat an ASF are $15+.
  • 07-06-2020, 11:02 PM
    Charles8088
    I've ordered now from Cold Blooded Cafe, American Rodent, and Rodent Pro. They've all been with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • 07-07-2020, 01:43 AM
    dakski
    Big cheese and perfect prey I've ordered from. I've heard good things about cold blooded cafe. Big Cheese and Perfect Prey vacuum seal their bags so they last longer and Perfect Prey offers smaller bags - fewer rodents in each bag - so you don't have to worry about a 25 bag going bad with one BP. I think they will sell a ten bag.

FYI - Rule of thumb is IF vacuum packed up to two years in freezer total. So you can use for up to 1 1/2 years because the rats will stay good (or any frozen prey for that matter) for 6 months in a zip lock after being taking out of a vacuum seal.

Even if it's a little more per rat, it will still be cheaper and better quality than Petco or Petsmart, etc.
  • 07-07-2020, 09:17 PM
    Spicey
    Using Perfect Prey here. Nice big mice, careful shipping practices. Petsmart mice are overpriced, too small, and as far as I'm concerned, a last resort. I understand why you use them, though.