Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

1 members and 3,129 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 01-08-2019, 05:24 PM
    KevinK
    Gila Monster Care.....know anyone?
    Does anyone have a source or reference for very specific Gila care instructions? (Hoping to find someone who actually owns one themselves, but I'll take anything)

Few things I'd like to know...

Feeding frequency in grams and specific diet (I know mice and rats are popular but I'm wondering if anyone mixes it up....eggs perhaps)? Vitamins? UVB?

Humid hide? All the time?

Specific setup instructions for a cattle stock tank? Do they stress from too large of an enclosure?

Is the induction of hibernation 100% necessary? ....or only for breeding?......seems like from the sources I've been hearing from that it's a necessity?

Getting to the point where I'm in the research phase and seriously considering looking for a pair of Gilas :O
  • 01-08-2019, 05:29 PM
    Bogertophis
    Bob Applegate used to have them...it's been some years but you might be able to track down either Bob or whomever has continued his project.
    http://www.applegatereptiles.com/
  • 01-08-2019, 05:33 PM
    KevinK
    Re: Gila Monster Care.....know anyone?
    Checked that out already unfortunately.

"Marilee and I have transferred our business interests to Willie and Linda Moran Moran's Reptiles for the most part. The lizards went over seas (except for Fernando, who is with Robyn of Ship Your Reptiles) and the pyros, which went to my wonderful webmaster, Tom Muniak Sr. aka HerpZillA. "

-Per the front page
  • 01-08-2019, 05:41 PM
    Bogertophis
    Yes I know....Bob doesn't bite though, call/contact him?
  • 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM
    Dxw425
    I was looking into getting one (can’t though because California) and came across probreeders.com, they’ve been in the gila game a long time it seems and sounds like they’re very helpful and responsive through email. Check them out I’d say
  • 01-08-2019, 08:03 PM
    reptileexperts
    They dont need UVB / UVA they get all their vitamins and nutrients from whole prey items.

They can stress as younger animals in too large of an enclosure, but you can put up blinds to make it smaller and expand as needed.

Hibernation is only crucial for breeding - the cooling period has to happen in order for the females to be reproductive.

Feeding frequency and size?? This is not really covered because there is no set rule. Some feed every few days, some feed once a week, some feed once every other week. You can do smaller more frequent meals, or treat them like in the wild and feed larger more spaced out meals. It's not uncommon for Gila to only come out after a rain storm in the wild and then they will feed and consume around 30-50% of their body weight in food before retreating back for another month or 2 before returning to the next rains. They are SLOW metabolizing creatures. Diet can consist of chicks, rats, mice, hamsters, gerbils, raw egg (quail at room temperature preferred and enjoyed full shell).

They do fine kept cooler at night and warmer during the day. Dont expect them to bask much but occasionally. We use a basking spot around 92 under the tank and keep ambient around 75 for the most part. At night things drop a little in ambient to 72 but the basking spot stays on since its an UTH.

Humid hides are welcomed. They spend most of their time underground where the humidity is higher than the dry desert air. I just throw some moss under their hides and mist it once a week or so. But i also give them large water areas and they absolutely LOVE destroying them. More so than my friends...

They are easy. But they are venomous. Don't be stupid. Know your laws. Also buy 2 books:

https://www.amazon.com/Biology-Monst...iology+of+gila

https://www.amazon.com/Beaded-Lizard...QT8XPTFWGEMZWT

Also buy a bite protocol from Joe Pittman via facebook.
  • 01-08-2019, 08:05 PM
    reptileexperts
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b2aba524da.jpg

Feeding our sub adult “female” some leftover food outside of her enclosure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-08-2019, 10:38 PM
    KevinK
    Outstanding advice reptileexperts as always. I just placed my Amazon order for those two books and will place an order for the bite protocol before ordering anything. I’m assuming you mean the Florida Snakebite Institute...that’s what pops up for a search of that name. I

like to take my time and research before picking up any animal but I’m certainly doubling down on the education before a Gila. This certainly puts me on the right path. Much appreciated. In my area in Wisconsin, state, county, and local legislation do not prevent the ownership of Gilas per my research.
  • 01-08-2019, 11:12 PM
    reptileexperts
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Outstanding advice reptileexperts as always. I just placed my Amazon order for those two books and will place an order for the bite protocol before ordering anything. I’m assuming you mean the Florida Snakebite Institute...that’s what pops up for a search of that name. I

like to take my time and research before picking up any animal but I’m certainly doubling down on the education before a Gila. This certainly puts me on the right path. Much appreciated. In my area in Wisconsin, state, county, and local legislation do not prevent the ownership of Gilas per my research.

Good and good. They are easy. Extremely forgiving for errors in husbandry once they are older. Keep babies on paper. The books are the blood of these guys. I’ve had both for a while now and turn back to them and borrow them out to friends who look into Gila or keep them.

And yes bite protocol is from snake bite institute. It’s 6.60 with shipping. Cheap and worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk