Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,466

3 members and 3,463 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Red Ackies.

Printable View

• 05-06-2007, 01:28 AM
    ECLARK
    Red Ackies.
    Thought you might enjoy seeing a group of my baby red ackies from last summer, wont be so lucky this summer as I sold all the monitors.:( https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../1/ackier2.JPG
  • 05-06-2007, 01:52 AM
    8b8ll
    Re: Red Ackies.
    Thats awesome bro! Thats like a Pic of the Month nominee IMO. To bad you sold them all! :(
  • 05-06-2007, 05:30 AM
    Nordinho
    Beautifull animales Ed! But what are Ackies :confused: I'm don't know anything about lizards, but these are cool :cool:
  • 05-06-2007, 04:17 PM
    ECLARK
    Ackies are Dwarf Ridgetail Monitors (varanus acanthuras)from Australia. also called Ridgetailed Monitors or Goannas, only reaching about 24-28 inches in total length. their small size and beautiful colors make them a favorite captive of monitor enthusiasts, they also are very prolific. :sweeet:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordinho
    Beautifull animales Ed! But what are Ackies :confused: I'm don't know anything about lizards, but these are cool :cool:

• 05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
    Nordinho
    Thanks for explaining :thumbsup: I'm going to do some more research on them. Really cool animals!
  • 05-10-2007, 12:05 AM
    mr~python
    nice animals Ed. i remember that picture on kingsnake. Nording, definitely look into them. they're awesome animals to keep. beware that they will need a foot of burrowable dirt at adult size though.
  • 05-10-2007, 12:57 AM
    Purrrfect9
    Those ackies are too cute! I'm really interested in getting one or two, but it looks like I won't be able too until I move out into my own house, which will be about a year or two. Even then, I'm getting kinda high up in the feeding bills with all of my critters right now, lol. What did you house them in Ed? I heard that one or two would be happy in one of those gigantic metal cow water troughs. And are there heat requirements similar to a beardies, seeing as they're from down under also?
  • 05-10-2007, 09:22 AM
    daniel1983
    Did you produce those yourself Ed? You still have the adults?

Ackies are too big for me...I like monitors under 15" ;)

Here is a decent caresheet on Varanus Acanthurus for those interested...and they are nothing like bearded dragons ;)
    http://www.proexotics.com/care_ackie.html
  • 05-10-2007, 11:07 AM
    mlededee
    red ackies are so neat looking and sound like cool animals but i think i'll have to stick with my giant geckos (rhac. leachianus) for now. :) how is your ackie doing marshall?
  • 05-10-2007, 06:57 PM
    MATT FISHER REPTILES
    one day i may have to pick up one just as comething to look at. but i will proabbly wait till my sav grows out of his cage he is in now.