Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,860

0 members and 2,860 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
  • 06-01-2020, 09:14 PM
    Alexiel03
    Pest problem in snake room, need help please...
    So I have been fighting a spider problem in my snake room for a while now and am to the point where I need to use some kind of spray to kill them and prevent them from coming back.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can use? I dont want to get something that would harm my snakes.

They are cobweb spiders, I kill them and a couple days later there's twice as many [emoji1744]

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
  • 06-01-2020, 09:54 PM
    Bogertophis
    Any pesticide you spray to kill spiders will be harmful (toxic!) to your snakes...they'll be breathing it in. I would advise against using such things.

I just searched for non-toxic way to kill spiders...one option that popped up is this (below): Note, I would also NOT use eucalyptus oil around snakes, but peppermint or rose oil might (???) be alright, I just don't know. I can remember many years back using a "non-toxic" spray ("safe for pets & children, safe in kitchen" etc) that had rosemary & wintergreen oils in it...but that was on ants, & they not only died, but didn't come back...they were thoroughly "offended". Vinegar is pretty irritating, but as long as it's not in the snake's cages or "too heavily used" it might be safe too?

Vinegar- Although harmless to humans, the acetic acid in vinegar is highly volatile to spiders. Mix a solution of 1 part vinegar and 1 part water. Spray on spider. Natural Scented Oils- Oils like eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, and rose oil not only effectively kill spiders and bugs, they prevent them from returning!Jul 23, 2013

Natural Ways to Kill Spiders - 1420 WBSM

wbsm.com › natural-ways-to-kill-spiders

• 06-01-2020, 10:31 PM
    Alexiel03
    Re: Pest problem in snake room, need help please...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Any pesticide you spray to kill spiders will be harmful (toxic!) to your snakes...they'll be breathing it in. I would advise against using such things.

I just searched for non-toxic way to kill spiders...one option that popped up is this (below): Note, I would also NOT use eucalyptus oil around snakes, but peppermint or rose oil might (???) be alright, I just don't know. I can remember many years back using a "non-toxic" spray ("safe for pets & children, safe in kitchen" etc) that had rosemary & wintergreen oils in it...but that was on ants, & they not only died, but didn't come back...they were thoroughly "offended". Vinegar is pretty irritating, but as long as it's not in the snake's cages or "too heavily used" it might be safe too?

Vinegar- Although harmless to humans, the acetic acid in vinegar is highly volatile to spiders. Mix a solution of 1 part vinegar and 1 part water. Spray on spider. Natural Scented Oils- Oils like eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, and rose oil not only effectively kill spiders and bugs, they prevent them from returning!Jul 23, 2013

Natural Ways to Kill Spiders - 1420 WBSM

wbsm.com › natural-ways-to-kill-spiders

I don't want to use a pesticide if possible, I tried using the white vinegar on one but all it did was make the spider spaz out then was fine so that's out the window. Plus vinegar has a strong smell.

Was also thinking witch hazel or rubbing alcohol might work?

I won't be spraying anything in the snake tubs, they are mostly congregating near the rat racks on the opposite side of the snake room

• 06-01-2020, 11:06 PM
    Faith.luu
    Pest problem in snake room, need help please...
    You could sterilize, clean out, and check each of your racks and clear them to be placed into another room. Once all your animals are out you can do a thorough clean of the room using pesticides or the non harmful methods as bogerthophis has stated. I would close the air vents to prevent spreading through the house, and manually clean the air vents of any spiders. I’d then take a though look around the room to see if you can find an opening on where these spiders could’ve entered, and seal any if you see them. Once you’ve sealed and cleaned the room, I’d wait about 2 weeks for it to air out and see if the spiders are really gone. If so, check your racks one more time and sterilize them again in case there might have been one or two remaining and then put them back into the room.

I know this would be extremely time consuming and take a lot of effort, but this will provide a higher chance of really getting rid of them and preventing a future problem. I know this might be a lot more difficult if an option, so you can choose other methods before you reach this one, but I thought I might just post it in case you want this as your last resort or something.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.
  • 06-01-2020, 11:21 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexiel03 View Post
    I don't want to use a pesticide if possible, I tried using the white vinegar on one but all it did was make the spider spaz out then was fine so that's out the window. Plus vinegar has a strong smell.

Was also thinking witch hazel or rubbing alcohol might work?

I won't be spraying anything in the snake tubs, they are mostly congregating near the rat racks on the opposite side of the snake room

Alcohol is even more irritating than vinegar...& I think the effect on spiders would be similar? Don't know about witch hazel, I don't use it.

I just don't know what to suggest...I don't use pesticides at all, with one exception (wasp spray, for those that make a home in my gate & turn into nasty kamikaze assassins when I try to enter or leave).

What disinfectants do you use? A stronger dilution of F10 or chlorhexidine might kill them? I'd try it.

It sounds like you've had a spiders reproducing in that room? I know of one really weird thing that works, though I'm not exactly recommending it. I grew up with a mom who was phobic about spiders. When we lived in a place that had laundry facilities in the basement, well of course there were spiders aplenty, and my mom grabbed the nearest thing as a weapon...spray starch! And she starched them to the brick walls...:rofl:Yes it kills them & they don't go far...but you might not want that on your stuff. I don't think (?) there's anything toxic in it, but I don't use it so I don't have a can to read the ingredients & other fine print on.
  • 06-01-2020, 11:27 PM
    Alexiel03
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Alcohol is even more irritating than vinegar...& I think the effect on spiders would be similar? Don't know about witch hazel, I don't use it.

I just don't know what to suggest...I don't use pesticides at all, with one exception (wasp spray, for those that make a home in my gate & turn into nasty kamikaze assassins when I try to enter or leave).

What disinfectants do you use? A stronger dilution of F10 or chlorhexidine might kill them? I'd try it.

It sounds like you've had a spiders reproducing in that room? I know of one really weird thing that works, though I'm not exactly recommending it. I grew up with a mom who was phobic about spiders. When we lived in a place that had laundry facilities in the basement, well of course there were spiders aplenty, and my mom grabbed the nearest thing as a weapon...spray starch! And she starched them to the brick walls...:rofl:Yes it kills them & they don't go far...but you might not want that on your stuff. I don't think (?) there's anything toxic in it, but I don't use it so I don't have a can to read the ingredients & other fine print on.

Yeah they have been reproducing in there for a few months, i don't mind them but they are annoying little buggers and I want them gone lol

I have both F10 and Chlorhexidine for cleaning in the snake room, and reptile spray too.

• 06-01-2020, 11:35 PM
    Alexiel03
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Faith.luu View Post
    You could sterilize, clean out, and check each of your racks and clear them to be placed into another room. Once all your animals are out you can do a thorough clean of the room using pesticides or the non harmful methods as bogerthophis has stated. I would close the air vents to prevent spreading through the house, and manually clean the air vents of any spiders. I’d then take a though look around the room to see if you can find an opening on where these spiders could’ve entered, and seal any if you see them. Once you’ve sealed and cleaned the room, I’d wait about 2 weeks for it to air out and see if the spiders are really gone. If so, check your racks one more time and sterilize them again in case there might have been one or two remaining and then put them back into the room.

I know this would be extremely time consuming and take a lot of effort, but this will provide a higher chance of really getting rid of them and preventing a future problem. I know this might be a lot more difficult if an option, so you can choose other methods before you reach this one, but I thought I might just post it in case you want this as your last resort or something.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

If I could I would take them all out and use something like a natural pesticide, but being in a single wide trailer there isn't enough room to house 2 rat racks and 40 snakes, including 2 adult burmese pythons, outside of the snake room unfortunately.

Also I don't have anyone who would let me keep them at their house while I spray the room. I'm very limited on options [emoji26]

• 06-02-2020, 12:09 AM
    Spicey
    Spiders have been bad around my house for the past couple of years, but unless they are trying to usurp my chair or bed, I am mostly resigned to their presence, because they eat other insects that can be real pests. Black widows are the only ones I will not tolerate. If your spiders are really unbearable, you can try squirting (food grade, if it matters to you) diatomaceous earth along the edges of the room and other places where spiders might hide. You should also keep after their webs to discourage them.
  • 06-02-2020, 08:25 PM
    303_enfield
    Call the bug guy. Bunch of stuff is kid an animal/reptile safe. Worth having the house treated.
  • 06-04-2020, 09:28 PM
    Kerimac
    So, I managed a pest control company for 9 years. There is nothing that really works for controlling spiders because they do not groom themselves and their feet are too small to pick up the poison. You have to spray directly on them. If it were me, I would go get some home safe natural spray from Lowe's or Home Depot that is used for vegetables and house plants. Spray the webs directly and leave the webs. Spiders actually eat web. This is 1 way....... The other thing you can do is just vacuum every day and treat the outside perimeter as well as using mouse glue boards in the corners where they keep showing up. This way they will just get stuck, the snakes stay safe, and you can just throw them away and place more down. Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk