Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,085

0 members and 3,085 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Help needed

Printable View

• 10-16-2020, 04:49 PM
    Franz71
    Help needed
    Hello all,
    after 2 years off because i became father for the 6th time and therefore I needed some time to settle down, I decided to buy again another couple of snakes. As I didn't know about the wobble problem I bought a male enchi killerbee pinstripe and a female enchi spider pinstripe. By chance I discovered the problem of the spider morph so now I was wondering if it could be advisable to breed the snakes or to change the project. Would you give me some advise regarding the risk that I could run into in the offspring? The male doesn't show any sign while the female just some minor signs.
    Any intervention will be appreciated!!
  • 10-16-2020, 05:04 PM
    trnreptiles
    Re: Help needed
    The wobble seen in spiders isn’t a problem as long as you take good care of your snakes and give them the proper husbandry.

My snakes with spider in them show little to no wobble besides during higher stress times such as feeding or handling, and even then it’s typically only with the more stress-prone individuals.

I personally have bred some of my spider individuals, and the babies came out just fine. You shouldn’t have any issues with them, so it’s really up to you on what you’d like to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-16-2020, 05:38 PM
    jmcrook
    Spider x spider = 25% probability of white snakes that die in the egg. Super spider is a genetically lethal combo

• 10-16-2020, 05:48 PM
    Craiga 01453
    I'm just throwing it out there, but if I just found out about the spider wobble I'd seriously be reconsidering breeding. Probably not a good idea to be breeding animals you don't know enough about.
  • 10-16-2020, 06:10 PM
    trnreptiles
    Of course I forgot to mention that in my post — but yes spider x spider is lethal and any “super spiders” you get would die in the egg or shortly after hatching if they even make it out of the egg. Not worth it.

So I wouldn’t recommend breeding your pair together at all, but you can find other non-spider individuals to pair to them instead.

Either way, make sure you do as much research as you can on genetics and ball pythons in general, before you jump into breeding. Good luck!

• 10-16-2020, 07:05 PM
    bcr229
    Some reading about morphs and combos that have problems: https://owalreptiles.com/issues.php