Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,149

2 members and 3,147 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
  • 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
    SteelTownGuido
    Re: So, expanding foam in a reptile tank...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maaric View Post
    Anyone else?
    Tile grout, paint, and sealers; which are safe?

p.s.
    How do you edit original posts? I couldn't find an edit button anywhere.

professionals and the majority of the stuff you buy, are built using expandable foam and stirafoam, then coated with non sanded grout, finally painted with acrylic pain and sealed with acrylic sealer, finally if it is going to come into contact with water, a good smooth coat of aquarium silicone.
  • 08-19-2011, 03:32 PM
    Maaric
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTownGuido View Post
    professionals and the majority of the stuff you buy, are built using expandable foam and stirafoam, then coated with non sanded grout, finally painted with acrylic pain and sealed with acrylic sealer, finally if it is going to come into contact with water, a good smooth coat of aquarium silicone.

So even if I use the Minwax sealant, I should still coat areas that will be under contact with water with Silicone.
  • 09-03-2011, 03:17 PM
    Doberobek07
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maaric View Post
    I've seen a lot of people crafting their own hides and basking spots out of expanding foam and have been thinking about doing some of this myself.

Has anyone here done any work like this?
    Is it safe?

I have done this I'm in the process of buildin g a 6 ft by 55 in 28in depth cage for my three bearded dragons. To anwser the question saftey.grout works the best if you coat in alot Im grouting right now and the process is long you have to start with a watery base like soup then a pancake mix next then get thicker as you go the last should be like pudding. The paint to used is a waterbased non toxic acrylic paint you can get from Joann fabrics after that you must and I mean must seal it with three to four coats then let in sit for a couple of days out side to get all fumes out
  • 09-03-2011, 03:23 PM
    Doberobek07
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Doberobek07 View Post
    I have done this I'm in the process of buildin g a 6 ft by 55 in 28in depth cage for my three bearded dragons. To anwser the question saftey.grout works the best if you coat in alot Im grouting right now and the process is long you have to start with a watery base like soup then a pancake mix next then get thicker as you go the last should be like pudding. The paint to used is a waterbased non toxic acrylic paint you can get from Joann fabrics after that you must and I mean must seal it with three to four coats then let in sit for a couple of days out side to get all fumes out

My email is doberobek07@hotmail.com if you have any more questions
  • 10-16-2020, 02:41 PM
    NikkoB
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    I have used the Great Stuff or expanding foam. It is safe as long as it's dry.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

So if there's some spots of foam that I couldn't cover with silicone, it'll be okay?
  • 10-16-2020, 03:08 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NikkoB View Post
    So if there's some spots of foam that I couldn't cover with silicone, it'll be okay?

9yr old necro-thread. Member you’re asking hasn’t logged on in 7.5yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk