Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,913

0 members and 2,913 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 03-24-2020, 12:59 PM
    Sharon&Sherman
    My snake had something stuck in his butt.
    Okay guys this is something I never thought I would have to say but I think my snake has something stuck in his butt. He was okay before he shed and acted fine but today after he shed I took him out he would thrash around when I tried to handle him. He has never done this. I thought well maybe he needs more hiding places or something and just needs to chill. I take him out again later but notice there's what looks like a small piece of aspen stuck in his butt. I kinda pulled a little at it and his butt opened a little and he thrashed a whole lot. I later saw that the piece was gone but when I popped him I found it inside his vent with what also looked like a small amount of blood. A vet isn't an option due to what all is happening. I am a minor so I don't have a say in whether I can take him or not. Any advice? Last night while I was sleeping I could hear some thrashing in his tub and a few minutes ago I heard some. I hate seeing him so uncomfortable. I haven't gotten any new snakes recently.

• 03-24-2020, 01:11 PM
    Bogertophis
    I assume you are keeping him on aspen? Sounds to me like he swallowed some aspen along with a meal? Do you feed him in the cage without putting down something
    like a box lid so the aspen doesn't stick to the damp prey & get swallowed? That's what you SHOULD be doing, but now, he is likely in pain & yes, should be SEEN by a
    qualified herp. vet. Not all vets treat snakes...they need special training & experience to do a good job on reptiles like snakes. This is NOT something YOU can take care
    of by yourself, & delay could mean your snake won't survive. Aspen cannot be digested by a snake...their stomach doesn't have the right enzymes to digest plant material-so if he ingested very much, it can get stuck, undigested, and block him up so he cannot defecate. Also, even small pieces -IF sharp- can perforate his intestine. I know many use aspen with apparent safety, but I don't, & never have liked it for snakes.

You (your parents) might try this to find a vet near you: http://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

About the only thing I can think of that you could try at home is a soak in lukewarm water, not deeper than the snake is tall (about an inch or less) & see
    if it helps any...it might help him to hydrate enough to defecate. Does he seem swollen above his vent (cloaca)? (like he needs to "go"?)
  • 03-24-2020, 01:20 PM
    Sharon&Sherman
    Re: My snake had something stuck in his butt.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I assume you are keeping him on aspen? Sounds to me like he swallowed some aspen along with a meal? Do you feed him in the cage without putting down something
    like a box lid so the aspen doesn't stick to the damp prey & get swallowed? That's what you SHOULD be doing, but now, he is likely in pain & yes, should be SEEN by a
    qualified herp. vet. Not all vets treat snakes...they need special training & experience to do a good job on reptiles like snakes. This is NOT something YOU can take care
    of by yourself, & delay could mean your snake won't survive. Aspen cannot be digested by a snake...their stomach doesn't have the right enzymes to digest plant material-so if he ingested very much, it can get stuck, undigested, and block him up so he cannot defecate. Also, even small pieces -IF sharp- can perforate his intestine. I know many use aspen with apparent safety, but I don't, & never have liked it for snakes.

You (your parents) might try this to find a vet near you: http://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

About the only thing I can think of that you could try at home is a soak in lukewarm water, not deeper than the snake is tall (about an inch or less) & see
    if it helps any...it might help him to hydrate enough to defecate. Does he seem swollen above his vent (cloaca)? (like he needs to "go"?)

I can't go to the vet cause we can't leave the house. I was suggested a bath but also told to give him time to heal too as they have amazing healing capabilities. I just want something to ease the pain. I popped him and got the stuff out. I don't put anything down because a lot of people I know usually don't. He hasn't eaten in a couple months cause it's breeding time. He does not seem to need to go to the bathroom and he only acted like this after he shed.
  • 03-24-2020, 01:26 PM
    Bogertophis
    You can still see a doctor or a vet...but you (your parents) need to call ahead. The only safe pain relief will have to come from a vet...giving him ANY kind of over-the-
    counter medication (normally used for people or even for other pets) will be toxic & probably kill him. Sorry, but you'd need a vet for this. If the problem is ingested
    aspen, you won't be able to see the blockage, assuming there is one (?).

Any chance his activity is NOT pain, but wanting out of his cage, either to breed or because it's too hot, for example? What are his cage temps? what is his set-up?
    Post pics if you can.
  • 03-24-2020, 01:34 PM
    Sharon&Sherman
    Quote:

You can still see a doctor or a vet...but you (your parents) need to call ahead. The only safe pain relief will have to come from a vet...giving him ANY kind of over-the-
    counter medication (normally used for people or even for other pets) will be toxic & probably kill him. Sorry, but you'd need a vet for this. If the problem is ingested
    aspen, you won't be able to see the blockage, assuming there is one (?).

Any chance his activity is NOT pain, but wanting out of his cage, either to breed or because it's too hot, for example? What are his cage temps? what is his set-up?
    Post pics if you can.

He is acting in distress. He huffs at me and just thrashes when I hold him so he seems to be in pain. He has never acted this way. I seriously doubt its impaction because I have never had an issue with it and so have other people. I can't go to the vet because my mom isn't willing to take him cause everything is hectic and she overreacts about everything. His temps are 88 on hot and he is in a tub. I can't post pics because I don't have a phone.
  • 03-24-2020, 01:43 PM
    Bogertophis
    It's asking a LOT to diagnose your snake online, I hope you realize? Not really possible, can only make suggestions & you haven't given much info. Is this your only snake?

You also mention (reading between the lines here) that your friends have snakes too & you "haven't gotten any new snakes lately" so you have others? This could also be
    something contagious that you transferred to him by not washing hands etc between handling him & others. His problem (internal pain?) could also be internal parasites-
    you'd need to take a fresh stool sample to the vet to diagnose & get the right medicine. Seeing a reptile vet is still your best bet for him to survive & not be "in pain". Only
    so much we can do here. You owe this snake proper care, & promptly as you'd want if it were you.
  • 03-24-2020, 01:44 PM
    Bogertophis
    Ask your mom to come online & talk with us...show her this thread...
  • 03-24-2020, 01:55 PM
    Sharon&Sherman
    Quote:

It's asking a LOT to diagnose your snake online, I hope you realize? Not really possible, can only make suggestions & you haven't given much info. Is this your only snake?

You also mention (reading between the lines here) that your friends have snakes too & you "haven't gotten any new snakes lately" so you have others? This could also be
    something contagious that you transferred to him by not washing hands etc between handling him & others. His problem (internal pain?) could also be internal parasites-
    you'd need to take a fresh stool sample to the vet to diagnose & get the right medicine. Seeing a reptile vet is still your best bet for him to survive & not be "in pain". Only
    so much we can do here. You owe this snake proper care, & promptly as you'd want if it were you.

I know it is, I only asked for suggestions. I know you guys aren't vets but since I can't get one I have to do what I can. I have 3 snakes. I couldn't have transferred anything since I haven't come into contact with anyone's snake or reptile in months. I was suggested the bath and told they have amazing healing capabilites by a facebook friend who I have never met in real life. She takes good care of her animals from what I hear. Trust me, I know he needs to see a vet, but I can't do that right now. I showed my mom and she is still set on not leaving. I'm sorry, it isn't going to happen as much as I'd like it to. This snake is important to me as I got him after my dad was shot and he has kept me company for the past two years. He was my first snake. I know that it's bad that I can't get him to a professional but I can't do anything about it.
  • 03-24-2020, 02:09 PM
    Bogertophis
    About all I can say then is good luck. :(

BTW, he still COULD have worms possibly causing this...they only get worse with time. Do you feed live or f/t? Was he ever fed live?

But again, without a good diagnosis (vet!) you should not treat for worms as all medications have some risks & you have to get it right.
  • 03-24-2020, 02:11 PM
    Sharon&Sherman
    Thanks for the advice though, this happened at the worst time.