Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,437

2 members and 3,435 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Bad shed? No problem.

Printable View

• 04-10-2007, 02:47 AM
    Kennyxemerson
    Re: Bad shed? No problem.
    Thanks for the tutorial :]
  • 04-11-2007, 09:44 PM
    joannarea
    :carrot: Thanks for the great help on the step-by-step. Glad so many care enough to give such indepyh information.
  • 05-29-2007, 11:30 PM
    BPNewb
    Great info ... I just recently got a BP (my first) from my boyfriend for my birthday (isn't he sweet? ;)) and she just went through her first shed ... what a messy process that was .. but I'm assuming it was due to the fact that she's in a new environment; it was very piecy. You mention the whole process of soaking and helping sluff the remaining skin - aren't the BP's typically 'moody' during this phase? Actually last night I went to pick her up, and she hissed at me, so I left her alone - only to find out this morning she shed during the night. I guess I just have to proceed with caution?

Thanks again for the info.
    BPNewb
  • 07-01-2007, 02:04 PM
    timcranston
    Wow just what i needed this is a great post
  • 07-04-2007, 09:08 PM
    Tat&Tu
    I Loved the tutorial and it will help me out next time my BP sheds or maybe now! Does this tutorial also work if the BP has shed all of its skin except the head?
  • 07-05-2007, 08:56 PM
    moespeaking
    Let me just add DO NOT leave your snake unattended soaking in any size container. Its too risky, it says here to let soak for 45-1 hr. I put her in a tub for 10-15 minutes and it seems to do the job. So if you cant watch the snake for 45-1 hr only soak for the amount of time you can.

ball pythons who have not shed good over their heads and sensory pits will make hissing noises caused by the loose skin. This isnt aggresion or a sign of an RI, if it only happens during a shed.
  • 07-25-2007, 10:13 PM
    mischevious21
    Yea, every step you showed Ive been doing with my girl sense she was born. Shes never shed by herself- Ive done that many times.. lol
  • 07-26-2007, 03:07 PM
    tigerlily
    I do not watch my snakes for the 45-60 minutes that I let them soak. I've never had a problem with that. Since the water level should never be high enough to force them to 'swim' to stay afloat, there really isn't a need for constant vigilance.

Jessika, I'd recheck your humidity levelsl. I usually only have to help with a stuck shed on a rare occassion. Humidity levels are key.

I'm glad that this has been of some help.
  • 07-26-2007, 03:39 PM
    Argentra
    Oh lots of help. :)
    My little one surprised me with her first shed, at a time when humidity was around 43%! Little wonder it was in pieces. I read your instructions and soaked her for about 20min (she's just a little one after all) then let her run through the washcloth. It worked great!! The only piece left was a little on top of her head and on her neck, and she got that off herself that night. Now I have cypress in there, humidity sits at 50%-65%, and I now will start 'bothering' her once in a while when I change water to keep an eye on her. :)

Thanks!
  • 07-29-2007, 12:38 AM
    Swingline0.0.1
    Tigerlily-

Just wanted to add my thanks for a great post!

Milton was in the middle of a bad shed when we got him- his eyecaps were still on and everything... we got that taken care of, but last week was his first full shed with us. It was neat seeing all the phases, but this time he got the part off his head and eyes without a problem, but not the rest of him. He got about 70% of it off in one piece (we've since stabilized the humidity thanks to some other great posts on here!), and I soaked him today using your method. he had a bit stuck on his neck (about 2" from his head) and some in the middle, and it all came off without a problem when I just let him go through the rag.

Thanks again!