Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

1 members and 3,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 10-17-2019, 01:53 AM
    rx34059
    Theo's first shed! also need some help with keeping humidity at a good level.
    Me again, Theo's really showing his attitude now that he's shedding and I want to make sure he is in the right conditions to shed properly. He is my first snake and I'm very new to all this. I have a screen top for my tank and his humidity always drops throughout the day when I'm not home, how can I keep the humidity up in the tank?

(For anyone who saw my post in BP pictures, here he is now.)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8517e50ce0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-17-2019, 06:36 AM
    Snakemom85
    Re: Theo's first shed! also need some help with keeping humidity at a good level.
    Cover most of the screen top with aluminum foil. Make sure you leave enough uncovered for air to get in. If you still can't keep the humidity up enough, you can provide him with a humidity box ( plenty of videos on YouTube about how to make one.) Use a bigger water bowl and put part of it over your heat mat.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
  • 10-17-2019, 10:59 AM
    wonderwhitters
    Re: Theo's first shed! also need some help with keeping humidity at a good level.
    What a gorgeous snake! I am also new at this, but I'm finding a humid hide in my BP's enclosure as well as an occasional mist of the substrate with distilled water (keeps hard water spots off the tank) really helps keep humidity where it should be. A decent sized, heavy water bowl helps also! ♥
  • 10-17-2019, 11:01 AM
    Zincubus
    Theo's first shed! also need some help with keeping humidity at a good level.
    You can cover the mesh with a big piece of plastic/perspex then seal with tape ..

I’d also consider swapping substrate to orchid bark or Reptibark .. thrtyhold humidity far better than most other substrates AND the dark colour of the substrate will make your snake look fabulous ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM
    wonderwhitters
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    AND the dark colour of the substrate will make your snake look fabulous ..

I am SO in agreement about the color of the dark substrates making our snakes look fab! ♥
  • 10-17-2019, 11:13 AM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwhitters View Post
    I am SO in agreement about the color of the dark substrates making our snakes look fab! [emoji813]

:)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2f04f162b6.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e72d728eb8.jpg

• 10-17-2019, 11:38 AM
    wonderwhitters
    Quote:

Wow! What a difference! Look at those colors pop! Beautiful snake! ♥
  • 10-17-2019, 11:41 AM
    rx34059
    Quote:

You can cover the mesh with a big piece of plastic/perspex then seal with tape ..

I’d also consider swapping substrate to orchid bark or Reptibark .. thrtyhold humidity far better than most other substrates AND the dark colour of the substrate will make your snake look fabulous ..

I have half of his tank covered in Eco-Earth substrate and the other half is the shavings, so should I take the shavings out and put more eco in?

• 10-17-2019, 01:02 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rx34059 View Post
    I have half of his tank covered in Eco-Earth substrate and the other half is the shavings, so should I take the shavings out and put more eco in?

It’s your choice but the eco earth holds humidity fabulously well and will make your snake look better ..

• 10-17-2019, 01:05 PM
    rx34059
    Quote:

It’s your choice but the eco earth holds humidity fabulously well and will make your snake look better ..

if it keeps him happy, healthy, and photogenic I'm glad to do it. thank you all!!