Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,701

0 members and 2,701 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Guaranteed Money

Printable View

• 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM
    jlcalero
    Guaranteed Money
    Hey guys im new to the ball python game, i used to breed panther chameleons and loved it and so far i love the ball python experience. i do have a couple of questions. I know the breeding industry is not like it used to be, you can now get snakes that were 10000 for a couple hundred. now in chameleons we always had our money makers, the animals that no matter what people wanted and we can always sell, are there ball python morphs that will never die off? snakes that i know i can sell no matter what, ive noticed that pieds and albinos seem to alwyas sell, any safe projects out there that can leave the lights on?

thanks!
  • 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM
    JodanOrNoDan
    I honestly don't like the sound of this post. If you want to know about your animals feel free to ask, but this sounds too much like a "I want to make a lot of money fast off these animals". I for one am not going to give you business information with a post that seems to have zero interest in the actual animals.
  • 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM
    Izzys Keeper
    Re: Guaranteed Money
    Generally albinos and pieds sell well. It seems in ball pythons combos are the big thing. As many genes can fit in a snake as possible (and still look nice).

You might not find much advice on this topic here. Many people in this hobby aren't fond of new guys jumping to bps just for making money because in reality is a looonnng process. It could take years before you get your first successful clutch and by then, the value of your snakes has went down. A ton of people come and go here and the money seekers often lose interest.

Welcome to the forum. There's a ton of help here and wonderful people that post here.

The reason albino and pied hold their value is partly because of the fact that they are recessive morphs and take more effort to create. The other part of it is that they are "wow" morphs. They are drastically different looking and impressive to the untrained eye.

I would add to that list bananas and most all white (BEL) morphs.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
  • 03-20-2017, 02:16 PM
    jlcalero
    it is about animals, didn't mean to offend anyone at the end of the day it is a business for me and of course with any business you want to make sure you are going the right way, and making sure you are getting quality animals, i don't expect to get rich off these but don't wanna put myself in a hole because i didn't follow any advice or didn't ask the right questions. again sorry if it came across the wrong way
  • 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM
    jlcalero
    and i posted it here because the description of the thread reads "Topics relating to ball python breeding and ball python-related business and industry.
  • 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM
    Sauzo
    There is no "money makers". The BP market is saturated. There a ton of reputable breeders out there. So honestly if you like the snakes, find the ones YOU like and breed them. But don't expect to breed anything and sell it in 2 days for 5k each and walk away a millionaire. Most people breed for the love of the animals and the hobby, not to try and get rich as like I said, this is not the hobby got that lol.
  • 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM
    bcr229
    The guy who owns the exotic pet store where I get live rats for my picky BP's also breeds some very high-end boas and ball pythons.

The guaranteed money is in feeders. Snakes... not so much.
  • 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM
    Lizardlicks
    You make money off of snakes by building your reputation as a keeper and breeder. When a morph loses it's value due to over saturation, being a trusted name that people seek out is what keeps you in business. Pick the morphs you like, focus on quality over quantity, provide excellent and prompt customer service, and connect with people both in the hobby and outside of it.

Hint: that proooobably means don't start your first post in a large community driven forum with, "hey guys, how do I make lots of money!" As you can see, it tends to leave a sour taste and doesn't help your reputation at all. First impressions and all that.
  • 03-20-2017, 04:42 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Can money be done? Yes the return can be from a collection that pays for itself to making an extra income, to doing this for a living.

Who are the people who can achieve those different levels?

Those that are passionate, know how to treat this like a business, know how to market themselves, know how to build a solid reputation, know the animals and their genetics (what to do what not to do) know the market, know how to evolve.

Who are those that fail?

Many of them! Those that have no clue, that think they are gonna make money overnight, that have no plan, that do not know & understand the market, that have to be spooned fed every step of the way, that fail to evolve with the market, that have no real passion, that have no patience.....
  • 03-20-2017, 05:13 PM
    jlcalero
    thanks deborah, so many people have tried to talk me out of this, and steer me wrong, i know i can do it and i needed to hear that especially from someone like you!