Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,914

1 members and 2,913 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

New Bp owner

Printable View

• 01-17-2019, 01:02 PM
    PaleRider4
    New Bp owner
    Hi all, I just received my first ball python on Jan 10 2019. I have Kaa in a 20 gallon slim terrarium. I have tried twice to feed and both times Kaa seemed totally uninterested. I want to be a good human to my baby ball just worried I’m doing something wrong. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • 01-17-2019, 01:05 PM
    Bigkrash
    Re: New Bp owner
    Can you tell us how your tank is set up? Things like temps, humidity, etc etc. Are you trying to feed live or frozen/thawed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-17-2019, 01:16 PM
    PaleRider4
    I have a hide and 1 other structure and a water dish. Temp stays 80 to 85 on hot side and between 50 and 60 humidity. I really want to feed frozen. I don’t have any pics right now at work can post some later.
  • 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM
    Ax01
    welcome Pale! glad u made it outta the chatbox!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleRider4 View Post
    I have a hide and 1 other structure and a water dish. Temp stays 80 to 85 on hot side and between 50 and 60 humidity. I really want to feed frozen. I don’t have any pics right now at work can post some later.

from your description, i think your BP's tank needs more work to make it feel comfortable. if u have a tiny baby in a 20gallon, it will need more than a hide, a decor and water dish. check out this guide on how to setup a 20gallon tank: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...0-New-Bp-owner the pix are down b/c Photobucket sucks but the step by step walkthrough is still helpful. in addition to this guide, i would just add more decor and clutter like fake plants to make your new BP feel more secure if u decide to keep it in a tank.
  • 01-17-2019, 01:51 PM
    Bigkrash
    Some of the things that will cause them not to eat are:

Going in shed
    Illness
    Stress

Was the previous owner feeding him live food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-17-2019, 01:57 PM
    Cheesenugget
    Please stop trying to feed him more than once a week. If he turned to down, wait a week to try again.

Secondly, your hot spot needs to be about 88-90F by my preference is no higher than 88F.

Please read all the husbandry stickies in this forum.
  • 01-17-2019, 02:41 PM
    PaleRider4
    I got Kaa from Pets mart
  • 01-17-2019, 05:52 PM
    Danger noodles
    Also do u have a heat mat? They get their heat from their belly and that has to be on a thermostat. A heat lamp isn’t enough. Also like said above, need small hides on both sides. Don’t make them big, they like to feel cozy
  • 01-17-2019, 06:20 PM
    55fingers
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Also do u have a heat mat? They get their heat from their belly and that has to be on a thermostat. A heat lamp isn’t enough. Also like said above, need small hides on both sides. Don’t make them big, they like to feel cozy

Actually, an UTH is not necessary. At least from what I've heard and known. Is it BETTER than heat from a lamp/CHE? That's up for debate. But a BP can definitely be kept on overhead heating their whole lives as long as the humidity and temperature meet the requirements.

But either way, make sure whatever you're using is regulated by a thermostat or at the very least a dimmer/rheostat.
  • 01-17-2019, 07:18 PM
    redshepherd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post

They actually don't require belly heat, that's just one type of heat source. Any heat source can be used, as long as the area or "hot spot" inside the hide is at the appropriate temps between 87~91.
    And of course, as long as humidity can be maintained above 50%.